Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #1

K-r for timelapse photography

I made some timelapses with the beautiful intervalometer function found in the K-r, but they are not that good as I expected. First of all, the movies have that flickering appearance, and I don't know why, since I used manual, fixed parameters. The video below was made from stills taken at a interval of one second, manual mode, iso 100, f9, 1/500s, manual WB...so nothing supposed to change. However, there are major differences from still to still, one has warm colors, another much colder colors, and so on.
Second, it appears that the shutter realease moves the camera a bit, but that could be resolved at least some, I think, with a heavier tripod.
Maybe some of you could help me on these, since I am new to DSLR photography and maybe it is something wrong with what I am doing.

here is another one

especially in the second one, it is clearly that the iso remains unchanged, so as the f number, i think the shutter speed also, because the video is getting darker at the end, as the sun sets. But the white balance is certainly not right...or maybe is something related to the focus but I don't think...the focus was set to manual also.
Thank you in advance!

06-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know, but its interesting - so I went searching...

I found this very interesting...... something mechanical that is somewhat unique to a dSLR. Probably not a white balance problem totally. Shutter and/or aperture, or something on auto?

Then, here are some analysis and solutions...
hope that helps....
06-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
One second fills the buffer, then a missed photo or two while buffer empties. Maybe 3 seconds would allow buffer to empty and smoother sequence AWB will have fits will moving clouds.
06-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

i was playing with this feature as well and the only thing I've found to change when in M mode was exposure compensation. How much does it change depends on what metering mode is selected.

Actually i have never searched for solution nor I know if anything else may be changing

06-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Forum Member

I agree with ions about the manual exposure. The automatic exposure could easily account for the change between each frame, thus causing it to appear to flicker.
07-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #6

Original Poster
Sorry for the late reply, but I am so busy with my crappy job right now. Thank you for all the answers.

Ok, so it turns out the aperture was the problem. Alltough I was in manual mode and set the aperture manually, somehow the aperture changed during frames, which is very frustrating. I mean, you don't spend $600 for a camera to do that. Thankfully it's a problem for many DSLR's, it seems. So I found that only if I set the aperture wide open the frames are ok, but that comes with blurry/smooth images. It's nice though that I found a partial solution for my problem.

Here is a good advice from another forum (hope not a rival forum)

"Reprogram your camera to allow the apertures to be set using the ring on the lens. When you rely on the camera's dial to set the aperture, there will be unavoidable variations as the lens stops down. This is because the camera *calculates* the necessary movement of the actuating lever, and also controls its end-point of travel. If you insterad order the camera to rely on the lens, the actuating lever hits a dead solid stop inside the lens instead, thus minimising the variation in actual aperture."

But I don't have an aperture ring on my lens...gotta search for this too.