Inactive Account

Built-in Flash for Pentax K-X

I wanted to use the flash but it is not coming out,

Last edited by pentax8511; 06-29-2011 at 04:46 AM. Reason: insert "not"
06-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard.

The flash has multiple settings and can be activated automatically OR manually with a button to pop it up.

To turn on automatic you need to review chapter 5 of the manual. You can activate it manually by pressing the button on the upper left o f the camera with the UP and lightneing bolt symbol.
06-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks DOCRWM. Ooops, it is actually..."The flash is not coming out" Thanks for your help!

Need a lot of help.. I just have my Pentax k-x (my first DSLR) this month.That time when I posted my question, I was keeping myself familiarize with just the basic one and these are the problems that I encountered:
#1) I tried to use the video but it consumes a lot of gig and the memory card was full. By the way, my memory card is 16 gig
#2) When I used the "continuous shooting" feature, there was message" Memory card was full" and when I tried to delete, another message came out again, something like.."this image cannot be shown" and I could not delete it so I took out the memory card and place it in my small digital camera to delete the pictures.
#3) The camera won't shoot and it just kept on focusing back and forth even with the built in flash on. It's in the "Auto picture". I also tried "Night Scene" and "TV" but still, it won't. By the way, I used the 55-300 lense and I used it inside a Banquet Hall tried to take a picture of the stage from other end of the Hall.

So I just turn off the camera and have a break. Read the manual but this is not helping me so I decided to ask for your help again.

Thanks, Pentax 8511
06-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
Forum Member

I'd first copy any images off the card then use the camera to format it and try again. Storing images in the card isn't a good idea, for many reasons, such as what you found about it being full, but also having them copied off to an external source may be more secure.

The focusing issue may have been the lack of light and/or contrast to get a good focus, since you said you were across a banquet hall using a 55-300 lens. The "focus aid" light has a finite range so across a room it would not help you with the focus anyway.

I have not used the continuous shooting feature, but could be the "full" card from the first point, and/or possibly the card can't quite keep up (transfer speed-wise) with the 6 fps that the camera can shoot. Possible try it after the reformat, and check the label for the model number of the card and investigate the transfer speed of the card.

06-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi,

As you've already heard - Copy the images off the SD Card onto a hard drive, then reinsert the SD into the K-x and go to the Menu. Under the Setup Menu 4 select FORMAT and the camera will format your SD card for its use. This will wipe the card so make sure you copy everything first. This info is on Page 242 of your manual.
06-30-2011, 05:20 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Dear hallenti and DOCRWM,

I'm glad I've signed up for the PentaxForums because I can have the specific answer from well-informed people and I believe that if I kept on asking, somebody will find a time to kept on answering. Thanks for your advice.

With regards to the focusing issue from across the room, what is your suggestion. I saw people doing this and it worked for them.

I'll do my assignment, do what you said and I hope l will have a good news next time I log in.

Thanks a lot,

Pentax8511

Last edited by pentax8511; 06-30-2011 at 05:21 AM. Reason: insert "I hope"
06-30-2011, 05:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentax8511 Quote
With regards to the focusing issue from across the room, what is your suggestion. I saw people doing this and it worked for them.
It was probably too dark for the autofocus to work. Switch to manual focus then, it's the AF/MF button on the left lower side of the lens mount.

This issue is compounded by the smallish f5.6 aperture of your lens at the 300mm setting. The AF system benefits from large-aperture lenses like f2.8 or so.

Regards,
--Anders.
06-30-2011, 06:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You can also go from Auto11 or Auto5 focusing to Center Point focusing. That has really improved the focus in my pictures. Good luck. Glad the flash advice and SD card advice were useful.