Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Doesn't necessarily have to be Sanyo Eneloops.
As long as they are marked "Hybrid" or "Pre-charged", they should all be the same.
You can get them as Rayovac Hybrid, Kodak Pre-charged, and there are others I can't really recall.
I both have the Eneloops and the Rayovac.
thanks gerry now i got little more options !!

08-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
I've been browsing these forums since I got my K-r, but I finally decided to register to comment on this thread... with my regular battery, I've never even got 100 shots (charged five times now) so I ordered an AA battery holder and have been using some Eneloops in it and they're still showing fully charged after at least 150 shots.

I don't use live view, or flash (much) but do use AF for most shots, and I have image preview off and menu set to three seconds, so the screen isn't on very much at all. Reading through this (and other) threads has made me wonder if perhaps the battery that came with my camera is defective somehow? It's not a huge deal since I got the AA holder (and three sets of eneloops, though still on the first) but still curious all the same.

The battery was run all the way out, from fully charged (at least charger would turn itself off) until the camera powered off claiming the battery is flat, five times, and I didn't even get to 500 shots total. Now I'm in the mid 600s on the AAs and it still shows fully charged.
08-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kona Quote
Reading through this (and other) threads has made me wonder if perhaps the battery that came with my camera is defective somehow?
Possibly. I've been getting on average 500 shots a day, nearly every day, from mine without exhausting it more than once or twice. Those couple times were from flash usage. I charge it religiously every night, or second night if I go easy on it on a given day. It is better for this kind of battery to top it off frequently when it's at 90% of capacity, than it is to run it right down.

One thing I discovered is the contacts on the battery need to be Very clean for it to fully charge. Take a soft cloth and polish them for a few minutes, then try charging it again. Mine developed a thin white film of oxidation (or something) about 2 weeks after getting it, and the battery developed exactly the lack of capacity you describe (~100 regular shots). It was barely visible, just a bit of cloudiness on the metal. The battery went right back to normal after I cleaned it thoroughly, and now I polish the contacts every day or two just as preventative maintenance. Try it.
08-31-2011, 11:21 AM   #19

I'm usually getting about 500 shots with a full battery. Screen is off most of the time, but image preview is on. I use external flash and mostly auto focus.

By the way, a Finnish tech magazine just reviewed K-r and few other cameras. They claim that they got about 1000 shots with a fully loaded battery. Half of the pictures were taken with a flash. Compared to competitors that was quite bad performance. Pentax was last in battery strength although it was otherwise recommended. With Nikon D5100 they got over 2000 images, and with some cheap Canon they got unbelievable 5000 images, if I recall it correctly. So Pentax seems to be worse than competition in this sense.

09-03-2011, 02:24 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by robroy Quote
I'm usually getting about 500 shots with a full battery. Screen is off most of the time, but image preview is on. I use external flash and mostly auto focus.

By the way, a Finnish tech magazine just reviewed K-r and few other cameras. They claim that they got about 1000 shots with a fully loaded battery. Half of the pictures were taken with a flash. Compared to competitors that was quite bad performance. Pentax was last in battery strength although it was otherwise recommended. With Nikon D5100 they got over 2000 images, and with some cheap Canon they got unbelievable 5000 images, if I recall it correctly. So Pentax seems to be worse than competition in this sense.
Robroy, I am sorry, but this finnish battery review is not realistic at all.

The battery story of K-r deserves a little more distinct review. Pentax took the K-x critics seriously where AA was provided as the only solution. Many people wanted a modern Li-Ion option and there you have it, right out of the box: a no nonsense proprietary battery which will give you about 500 shots (after a couple of startup cycles). If you tend to stay with the Li-Ion option be sure to get some spare bateries, because 500 shots is not really that much. The reason why the capacity of the Li-Ion is comparatively low is because of the size limitations. Pentax took the AA-adapter into account when making the design for the Li-Ion battery. So much about the Li-Ion chapter.

What's really exciting about the K-r is the (optional) AA-adapter. I know no other manufacturer which would give you AA power option in the body alone (some have the option with the additional battery grip attached). If you purchase the D-BH109 adapter your power opotions become multiple. You can choose from:
  • AA alkaline (one shot)
  • AA Ni-Mh (rechargeable)
  • AA Lithium (one shot)

While alkalines are considered only as a emergency solution, with a set of decent Ni-Mh you can get an average of 400 shots. You can get two or three sets of good Ni-Mh batteries (including the charger) for the price of one Li-Ion pack. That's very good economy. If you want the most performance and less fuss with batteries go for the (one shot) lithium AA batteries. I get an average of 1500 shots with it. The price for a 4 piece Energizer set is €11.20. I found these to be the best solution while travelling.

Cheers,
D

Last edited by dragra; 09-03-2011 at 02:41 AM.
09-03-2011, 05:34 AM   #21

I just picked up 2 of the Chinese Ebay batteries myself.They seem to do pretty good especially when you factor in the price.I had thought about the AA adapter but the problem i see is unless you charge then up right before you need them they self discharge and you don't get too much use out of them.I understand eneloops don't suffer from this as much as other types but then i have to keep an AA charger in my bag plus the adapter.I think its much easier to just keep my 3 lion batteries handy. I think i am going to pickup one of the cheap Ebay chargers as well as you can also use them to charge from your car.I had one of them when i had my Canon and it worked great.
09-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Possibly. I've been getting on average 500 shots a day, nearly every day, from mine without exhausting it more than once or twice. Those couple times were from flash usage. I charge it religiously every night, or second night if I go easy on it on a given day. It is better for this kind of battery to top it off frequently when it's at 90% of capacity, than it is to run it right down.

One thing I discovered is the contacts on the battery need to be Very clean for it to fully charge. Take a soft cloth and polish them for a few minutes, then try charging it again. Mine developed a thin white film of oxidation (or something) about 2 weeks after getting it, and the battery developed exactly the lack of capacity you describe (~100 regular shots). It was barely visible, just a bit of cloudiness on the metal. The battery went right back to normal after I cleaned it thoroughly, and now I polish the contacts every day or two just as preventative maintenance. Try it.
I tried cleaning the contacts as you stated, but it hasn't made any difference. Though it is a bit of a pain to polish in the little nooks, so maybe I just didn't do it well enough. I'm happy with my AAs for now anyway, so no real loss I suppose.
09-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #23

dearest friends... i got this lovely FF camera on January...
i'm a wedding photographer and most of the time i use this little gem as my main camera.

in Indonesia the temperature range from 18 to 29 degree in celcius and the wedding ceremony usually took 12 hours from the make up session till the closing session..

First 3 months, the camera battery can take around 600 shots. 12 hours session, auto turn off every 1 minute.
( LCD turned off at all, centre af focus point,Manual mode, offshoe flashes )
last 3 weeks, the battery can only capture around 400 shots. 12 hours session, auto turn off every 1 minute.
(same setting)

things went uglier when youre using video mode.
luckily, there are plenty of third party batteries for Kr here, so now i have 4 batteries to deal with this litle gem's thirst.

i dont use AA adapter since its not available in my country.....

09-08-2011, 01:40 AM   #24

I use a number of cameras which use lithium batteries, as well as other devices. I also use many devices with AA NiMH batteries. Over all I have been pleased with the vast majority of them. The exception is my Kr. I am not sure if the battery is defective or just undersized for the camera, but it certainly hasn't performed well compared to the other cameras and products I have. Maybe its the fact that I use RAW +Jpeg, and that takes some energy on writing. I find the OEM AA cell adapter here in Canada ridiculously overpriced. I could buy several off-brand Lithiums for that. If Pentax really wanted to offer both power options, it would have made a great selling point if they had included the adapter. I imagine their cost was under a dollar to make it.
09-08-2011, 02:06 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by FreezeFrame Quote
If Pentax really wanted to offer both power options, it would have made a great selling point if they had included the adapter. I imagine their cost was under a dollar to make it.
Considering I got mine for under $5 from ebay (hooray for China) shipped, they're obviously making a profit on that if they sell it with free shipping, so yeah, Pentax are definitely ripping people off on the regular price. It is a bit cheap of them to not include it with the camera. Especially since, like many others report, the included battery I have just isn't very good.
09-08-2011, 03:01 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kona Quote
Considering I got mine for under $5 from ebay (hooray for China) shipped, they're obviously making a profit on that if they sell it with free shipping, so yeah, Pentax are definitely ripping people off on the regular price. It is a bit cheap of them to not include it with the camera. Especially since, like many others report, the included battery I have just isn't very good.
Can you pl share the link of ebay ?
09-08-2011, 03:33 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by ajaya Quote
Can you pl share the link of ebay ?
i don't remember who I bought mine off but there are plenty of hits around the $6-7 mark, eg AA Battery Holder Box for Pentax KR K-R Camera NEW | eBay
09-20-2011, 05:03 AM   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricoh.pentax Quote
First 3 months, the camera battery can take around 600 shots. 12 hours session, auto turn off every 1 minute.
( LCD turned off at all, centre af focus point,Manual mode, offshoe flashes )
last 3 weeks, the battery can only capture around 400 shots. 12 hours session, auto turn off every 1 minute.
(same setting)
Hi, i have a question regarding this.. How do you turn the "LCD off at all"?
09-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Keep pressing Info - shooting info then status screen then blank. Data in viewfinder will show what you need.
09-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #30
Forum Member

That is... fantastic. After one year using my k-r, i just found this feature out.. Oh man, wanna beer?
What else im may be missing ?