Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Busted built-in flash

Confirmed with Pentax that indeed there is a problem, although unfortunately, that's as much as they were able to help since I bought the camera from Amazon Warehouse AND the warranty is not transferable.

I've had the camera for a month, rarely use the flash, except the one time I try to use it (at a wedding), I find it's not working and that I am 2 days past the 30 day return period at AMZN.

I love the camera, not looking to return it to get hit with a 20% restocking fee - but looking for suggestions as to maybe how to fix it myself or how to Pentax to fix it for me.

06-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I presume that it is just the flash and not the hotshoe that's faulty?

If you can't get Pentax to fix it or fix it yourself perhaps the next best idea is to purchase a small hotshoe flash like the inexpensive Pentax AF-200FG. It might be cheaper than any other option. I notice that B & H has it for a reasonable price.

Granted it takes up a bit more room on top of the camera but not as much as the larger Pentax, Sigma or Metz flashes and then you'd have a bit more capable flash unit.

I don't know whether it can do everything that the built-in flash can do (anyone else feel free to jump in) but that can be checked out fairly simply.
06-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum bpl.
If you purchased this with s credit card, maybe your CC company has placed an additional or extended warranty on it?
Some credit cards would do that as a perk for using their card.
Have you ever tried writing to Amazon about the problem?
They usually back up what they sell even if they source out their stocks from different sellers.
They have the A-Z guarantee so why not try that.
Contact the seller and explain to them that manufacturer (Pentax) doesn't recognize the warranty since they (seller) bought the item from Pentax and just resold it to you.
They might be able to return it to Pentax since warranty should at least be a year.
They are actually not losing anything since you already bought the item from them, they are just facilitating the repair through Pentax.
Try to update us on this because if Amazon or the seller won't help you with your warranty claim then the forum members should be warned not to buy at Amazon anymore because of this issue.
06-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
bpl
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, to be honest, Amazon has and usually is great. I called them just 2-3 days past the returns period (30 days), but they wouldn't budge. I am trying again though. I bought this through "Amazon Warehouse" deals at a decent price, and when it came in, it looked "new", although listed on the invoice as "used - very good". As a SLR newbie, I just assumed the flash worked and never checked - except when I actually needed it!

Considering that the 1-yr warranty is void, (double checking with Pentax), I would think twice about buying a high-end product in any type of "used" condition.

I will definitely try an external flash.

06-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Contact Amazon and tell them that even though you've had the camera for a month, you never tried the flash until just now. Be nice and ask to return it, don't get all huffy, that will make it worse. I've read how Amazon will take back stuff soon after the deadline, kind of like a case by case basis. Worth a try.
07-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
bpl
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thankfully, the hotshoe works with an external flash, just checked today. Thanks for all the comments and advice offered on this thread.