Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2011, 02:55 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
locking the mode dial any tips?

Has anyone had any bright ideas over how to stiffen up or lock the mode dial on a K-r ?
On my k10 its stiff and does not alter and on the K5 its locked but I find on the KR it constantly gets moved getting it in and out of the bag which is a pain in the you know where
it's the second body and gets grabbed used and dropped back in the sling bag at weddings etc. and I am tired of constantly having to remember to check it.
I suppose it might pull off which would fix the problem

06-30-2011, 04:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have no answer to offer, just some sympathy. The K-x has the same problem, the dial moves just by handling the camera. This has NEVER happened with my K20D, not even once. I found the lock on the K-5 annoying. They should have just used the same tension as on the K20D and scrapped the lock. At least a lock is better than a wandering dial.
06-30-2011, 05:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm a bit surprised by this topic. Maybe it's just that my K-r is still quite new (2 weeks of use) but the dial on mine is stiff enough that it's a pain to change accurately if it's up to my eye.

Perhaps yours is just looser than others? Sorry I have nothing to suggest to fix it.
06-30-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I remember this "problem" with my K-x. Didn't bother working out a solution though. Can you jam some kind of shim between the mode dial and the prism hump? A toothpick or a piece of paper or plastic as a makeshift lock?

Regards,
--Anders.

06-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I tried this and it worked. Get a thin rubber band and stretch it out until it is thin enough to fit in between the housing and the dial. You may have to pull it back and forth and down to work it in. If it changes the setting, just pull it down and back until the setting goes back to what you want. Clip the excess rubber band off to make it neat. Carry spare rubber bands in your camera bag and you're set.
07-01-2011, 01:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
I tried this and it worked. Get a thin rubber band and stretch it out until it is thin enough to fit in between the housing and the dial. You may have to pull it back and forth and down to work it in. If it changes the setting, just pull it down and back until the setting goes back to what you want. Clip the excess rubber band off to make it neat. Carry spare rubber bands in your camera bag and you're set.
HA, great minds think alike , that was my solution to try but I was wanting to see if ,like usual, I had missed the obvious.