Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax Kr and AA Batttery Adapter...

Every time some new user shows up in the Forums announcing he/she bought a new Kr asking what essentials they need, invariably someone recommends buying the AA battery adapter and Eneloops batteries. I don't see the point of getting the battery adapter unless one is going to be traveling to remote locations where AC power is unavailable to charge up the proprietary batteries or for that matter, Eneloops batteries. The price for buying a battery adapter, Eneloops batteries and charger, could easily get you two or more third party proprietary format batteries which will keep your Kr powered indefinitely as long as an AC outlet is nearby.

Of course having a battery adapter will allow you in a pinch, to use readily available AA alkaline batteries but for the most part I cannot see the need. Or is there another advantage to shoot with Eneloops vs proprietary battery? Being able to release the shutter 50~100x more is no great advantage since no one here will be shooting until the battery is completely discharged.

Thanks,

07-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Forum Member

For me:

1) I already had quite a collection of AA NiMh batteries. In my case, one adapter meant unlocking at least four sets of backup batteries.
2) I also use the AA batteries in my flash, so I'd rather carry the more versatile AA's than multiple Li-ions.
3) I have multiple devices which are powered by AA batteries. It is a wiser investment for me to buy universal AA batteries than invest in proprietary Li-ions which only work with this one device.

Fundamentally, I agree with you. For someone who is just gearing up and probably is at a low risk of unexpectedly draining their batteries while traveling, it is probably more cost effective to buy additional Li-ions. They are lighter and smaller in the camera bag. There are also few parts to keep track of (1 Li-ion = 5 parts (adapter plus 4 batteries)). The Li-ion is also certainly less of a hassle to replace in the camera than the AAs in the adapter. There is one battery slot that can be a little tricky to remove the battery from.

I really, really like the idea that the K-r is battery agnostic for the most part. Both AA and Li-ion fans are offered a choice vs. being locked into one platform.
07-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
+1 to abcdave's comment, I also have a K2000 (Km) that uses AA's so an adapter was the best way for me to get a backup battery
07-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
+1 to abcdave's comment, I also have a K2000 (Km) that uses AA's so an adapter was the best way for me to get a backup battery
We are talking about Pentax Kr, which takes proprietary Li-ion battery but can also use 4 AA batteries to power the camera, which requires an AA battery adapter (an optional equipment). Your Km can only be powered by AA batteries...

07-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
We are talking about Pentax Kr, which takes proprietary Li-ion battery but can also use 4 AA batteries to power the camera, which requires an AA battery adapter (an optional equipment). Your Km can only be powered by AA batteries...
Yes. The extra AA batts become the back up to both the K2000 AND the K-R cameras.