Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
Inactive Account

shooting in B&W

Hi there,
I currently have a pentax k-r with the kit lens, a smc pentax-m 50mm f1.7, a pentax-a 70-210 f4, and a chinon 28mm f2.8 (k mount).
Firstly, are these lenses any good? (i know the 50mm is an especially good lens)
Secondly, what photo editing software do you use in general and for B&w images. I love Black and white but currently rely on on board filter, and shoot in JPEG (i know they say shoot in RAW and post process) the point is I currently rely on Adobe photoshop elements , and i dont know whether this is any good ( I got free with my laptop) so please recommend some good software that's not too expensive. FINALLY, the reason i have all these old lenses is because my dad has a super ME (which he has given to me) it has a scratch on the mirror etc- should i get it refurbished (if so, how)
Finally ( again lol) what is the purpose of colour filters- could i use on to achieve B&W?
All the very best, sory for the long thread but I want to master B&W. Oh and should i invest in any other lenses? im thinking about getting the m42 super takumar 50mm f1.4 ( even if it its radioactive!)

07-01-2011, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Wow lost of questions

you are correct the 50 is a very good lens, the others depend on the copy you have.

Photoshop elements is my choice you can do almost anything with it and you can get lost of help free on line just do a Google search and be specific on what you are trying to do.
Rather than using the B&W filter in the camera convert the color jpeg to B&W in Elements, that way you have the best of both worlds, color and B&W

You can replace the ME super for less than the repair cost on Ebay so don't get if fixed

With digital all those filters are not required, they can be simulated using in camera digital filters or better yet in PS Elements after you have the shot.

The M50 1.7 is almost as good as the m42 50 1.4 and easier to use on the Kr you may never see the difference I would stick with 1.7

You must remember it's the final image that is important not how you got there, no one will ever know
Hans
07-01-2011, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome aboard!

Yes, the f1.7 is a fine lens. The others I don't know, myself. If they have an "A" position on the diaphragm ring they should work fine, otherwise it can be a bit of a pain. Make sure that the Chinon is marked K-mount; some Ricoh lenses marked K-R may jam on the Pentax digital mount, from what I've read.

Are they good enough? That's your call. I have a 135mm f2.5 Takumar which some folk feel is inferior, I've gotten good results from it.

Elements is fine, and inexpensive. Shooting in color and then converting to BW is probably the way to go, since it keeps your options open. Elements 9 has pretty good BW conversion routines, especially for the price, the full Photoshop is, what, $600, compared to $90 for Elements.

Filters for BW film shooting would include yellow, red, and perhaps green. I wouldn't bother with these using digital, you can produce the same effects in your editor.

A circular polarizer is a really good idea; you can darken clouds and control reflections on water and other specular surfaces. Be sure you get a circular polarizer, the other sort, called linear, will confuse your exposure metering and I think the autofocus. Would be a waste of money.

Many folk like to keep a UV filter on the lens at all times to protect the lens surface. Much cheaper than a new lens.

Lens hoods are worth it.

RAW has many advantages, affording far more control. You can compensate for improper exposure far better than with JPEG.

As far as the ME Super goes, if the camera works well and the "scratch" on the mirror is just a small scratch, give it a go. A scratch on the mirror will not affect the image, and probably won't be visable in the viewfinder. Hans is right, any sort of major repair would cost more than a functioning example.

BTW, there's a Pentax Forum on your side of the pond: Pentax Forums - Pentax User Photography Forums

Good folk there and they can guide you to local sources for supplies, or as you folk say, "kit."
07-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your speedy replies- you have been very helpful
all the very best

07-01-2011, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chaza01 Quote
Hi there,
I currently have a pentax k-r with the kit lens, a smc pentax-m 50mm f1.7, a pentax-a 70-210 f4, and a chinon 28mm f2.8 (k mount).
Firstly, are these lenses any good? (i know the 50mm is an especially good lens)
Secondly, what photo editing software do you use in general and for B&w images. I love Black and white but currently rely on on board filter, and shoot in JPEG (i know they say shoot in RAW and post process) the point is I currently rely on Adobe photoshop elements , and i dont know whether this is any good ( I got free with my laptop) so please recommend some good software that's not too expensive. FINALLY, the reason i have all these old lenses is because my dad has a super ME (which he has given to me) it has a scratch on the mirror etc- should i get it refurbished (if so, how)
Finally ( again lol) what is the purpose of colour filters- could i use on to achieve B&W?
All the very best, sory for the long thread but I want to master B&W. Oh and should i invest in any other lenses? im thinking about getting the m42 super takumar 50mm f1.4 ( even if it its radioactive!)
The SMC Pentax-A 70-210mm f4 is a very good lens. The only disadvantage is, it does not tell the camera its focal length for SR to work. You can use a compromise value in the middle or reset it when you zoom. I don't have any experience with the Chinon.

A scratched mirror won't affect the images any. I would try to find someplace to clean, lubricate and adjust any film camera before using it, because film can get even more expensive if the camera is ruining it. In the US, this would only be $60-100.

I can get a reasonable B&W image in Photoshop Elements 6 without much effort. That's just an image I like, without regard to what I should do. Later versions with curves are better. I don't know if different software could give you better results, just easier. The in-camera conversion is pretty boring.

Obviously a Super-Takumar 50mm f1.4 is faster than a 50/1.7, and still a very nice lens. But it's still the same focal length. How about a 135/2.8?
07-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Cheers 'JJust1moredave'- got any recommendations for 135mm? I was also looking at maybe getting a good wide angle- the 28mm chinon is not great and crucially isn't a particularly wide wide angle because of the crop factor affecting aps-c sensors. Any further recommendations ? Also is the HDR function built in to the K-r any good- i have heard the term 'bracketing' thrown around frequently on the forum when people are achieving HDR- what are the advantages of it and how do you in fact achieve it? Thanks
07-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The SMC Pentax-M 135mm f3.5 is a pretty good starting point for 135mm. It's small and has excellent optical performance. In the US the Vivitar 135/2.8 made by Komine is common in M42 mount and often cheap. You might find a Carl Zeiss Jena 135/3.5; here they are rare and expensive. I haven't tried one but read positive reviews. I have an SMC Pentax 135mm f2.5 which is great but might be a little expensive these days.

I have three lenses at 28mm that I like for different reasons. One is the Vivitar 28mm f2.0 made by Kiron. If you search for Vivitar bestiary you'll find a list of abiout 40 different Vivitar 28mm lenses. This one is K12. It's sharp enough, fast enough, but has some flare. I have a Sigma High Speed Wide 28mm f1.8 II Manual focus, sort of a rare lens, which might not be as good as te Vivitar but is more convenient. And I have the SMC Pentax-F 28mm f2.8, sharp, great contrast and flare resistance in a small size. The F version is expensive; you can get the same optic formula for about half price in the A version.

The only HDRs that I've done use bracketing, not the in-camera version. That produces one JPG with not much control over the process. I like control and RAW. Bracketing is on the Drive menu (up on the 4 way controller. (In the manual, you'll find it under Exposure Bracketing.) You have choices for how much exposure difference there is between shots and the order they're taken. You can combine this with Exposure compensation too, for shots that are all underexposed or overexposed. With a stationary subject, you could take two bracketed sets, one at -2, -1 and 0, then another at +1, +2 and +3. To get an HDR image, you have to have software to process these bracketed images. I've only used Photoshop CS5 but there are much cheaper options.