07-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DigitalREV's take on the Kr

07-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
The menu is ridiculous on this - like quantum physics
Yeah, this guy knows what he's talking about.

Seriously, 2 minutes about the camera, and 10 minutes of him walking around babbling about moobs.
07-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not gonna lie. i usually love the DigitalRev videos, but this was horrible. nothing to do with owning a pentax, it was just a horrible review. There was almost no information about the cameras photos, just that the flash was strange?

Just lowered my opinion of DigitalRev
07-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I can't say I agreed with much of anything he said, at least what he said about the camera. The K-r is really good ergonomically, for me anyway. The buttons feel like any other buttons I've ever felt. I've never managed to get the MF/AF switch stuck in between. The menu works just fine. I mean, he complained about the most ridiculous things.

He had a few vaguely nice things to say, but by then most people would've turned the video off and crossed the K-r off their list. There was nothing substantial or helpful about this review at all.

07-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The kid who acts out in school gets the attention. They use the same principle in their videos. If they did nice videos, no one would care.
07-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you filter it, there's a lot of positives but like us he doesn't know the outcome of a Ricoh ownership pure speculation hence the melodramatic conclusion. With Kai you have to read between the lines, i think this is the first actual Pentax review and most importantly they have a huge following so Pentax has just gained more brand recognition here, it's a good thing once you filter some rants out.
I'm surprised he didn't choose a pink Kr to review
07-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've watched a few of his videos and sort of enjoyed his juvenile ways, but this review was just plain silly, hardly-objective garbage. It's as if he was being forced against his will.
He's shown a lack of real knowledge and more importantly a lack of respect.

My 2c

07-09-2011, 05:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The respect thing is just how he is, it gets people locked on to se what's next, I even laughed a few times in this video, but as a "review" he was way off task. He often talks about things happening in real life as he is shooting, but this was 60% that and hardly any camera facts
07-09-2011, 06:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
His conclusions are similar to digitalcamerainfo's without the melodrama.

Conclusion - Pentax K-r Digital Camera Review
07-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm about 1/2 way through the video but DigitalRev has always been the Topgear of digital camera reviews. Very sarcastic and over the top. However, some of the points he does make are valid but over the top. Like the AF motor, compared to the competition the motor is very pronounced. HDR wise he pokes fun of the numerous selections and it is somewhat true 5 different settings plus auto? Cross processing features we have tons there which is good for those without Photoshop but it can be lots to look at.

However, I haven't finished it so I don't know the final review but I would take is to be somewhat silly.
07-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #11

Normally I don't mind digitalrev videos since they tend to be entertaining. That said I don't think I'd ever actually take any of their reviews seriously.

What I have noticed as of recent though is Kai's undeniable elitism. I mean I know the guy shoots a Leica M8 but I find it difficult to take someone seriously when they pine over the M9-P which is basically a black M-9 with some small tinkers here and there but really did such a poor job reviewing the K-r. I know he doesn't usually give entry level cameras much praise but even then I think he was a little unreasonable (some gripes like the DOF preview button location were absurd. Clearly a different company wouldn't put the buttons in the same place, even Canon and Nikon don't share designs and locations). Even when he reviews the similarly classed D5100 he seems to be nicer about the camera than the K-r.
07-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Worthless as a review, but kinda' funny to watch. Did he ever give an objective review of any feature? Seems every point is about how he would want the camera designed.
07-12-2011, 07:32 AM   #13

It sounded like it was funded by Canon and Nikon, and any positive comments came 10mins into the video .. when most people would have switched off after 5mins .. I too enjoyed a comparison from him a while back of the Nikon D3000 and Canon 500D and was excellent, full of useful info .. this review was full of jibberish and b grade humour .. so a guy is dressed in soccer apparel but no good at soccer .. big deal .. get on with it ..
07-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I lol'd.

Most of the time he rambles... criticizes the K-r.... gives a few backhanded compliments... says it's actually pretty good... then wonders if Ricoh will kill it.

He is correct, though, when he says that there isn't much to distinguish it from the other entry-level DSLRs. They are all pretty much the same caliber of camera with slightly different strengths and weaknesses.