Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #1

Is it worth trying to fix a kr or upgrade?

I bought a refurb (I assume) model of the Kr from Amazon only to have it be defective. The mode dial on top doesn't correspond to the images on the dial and half of the presets are missing.

I'm sure it is an easy fix to send it off to Pentax but I've come here to ask is it worth it to fix or should I send it back to amazon and get maybe a k7? I've been looking into the kr more now and see it has a lot of issues with dials and thingamabobs.

The kr is great except that mine is defective but if there is a new model potentially coming out soon, then I might as well send it back. It's so confusing, being given a second chance to think everything over!

Any feedback or advice would be appreciated.

07-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If they sent you a defective copy, you should send it back as an exchange, at least. The mode dial issue you have sounds like a one off problem, I've never seen mention of it elsewhere.

The e-dial issue you've read about is way way overblown. A lil squirt of contact cleaner fixes it. It's just the result of too much lubricant being put on the dial mechanism during production.

I've had my K-r for almost a month, no issues yet. I'm very happy with it.
07-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Send it back for exchange. Do it rapidly and document all the issues.
07-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like my Kr, even after all the bad press, great camera, get it exchanged

07-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #5

Original Poster
I guess because it was from Amazon warehouse deals, I can't do an exchange, only a refund. I got a really good price on it too, Amazon up'd the price by $50 since I bought it.

If the issue I'm having isn't really common, I guess I'll just call Pentax then. I was looking so forward to taking my new camera down to Miami on Monday too.
07-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I originally was interested in a K-r. Since I ran into a little more cash I began to think that it would be nice to go more semi-pro with a K-7. K-7 prices started to drop and I thought that it was going to be a good deal. Then I started to research the spec changes between the K-7 and the K-5. The K-7 might have been fine for me, but I opted for a K-5. So far (after about a week) I am very impressed with the K-5. Now I am considering selling my Nikon L120 bridge camera and getting a K-r. Having both a K-5 and a K-r might be overkill for me, but my wife likes to tinker, so it might be in order. (I can rationalize practically anything if I want it badly enough.)

Bottom line: K-7's have been discontinued and are slightly outdated now. It may be difficult to even find a new one in stock. If you want to jump up go for a K-5. Also, (your particular issues aside), I think that the couple of fix issues for the K-r are fairly easily accomplished. It seems that some are getting good results with the e-dial problem with a squirt of contact cleaner, and the low light focusing issue seems to get better if the camera is recalibrated by Pentax servicing. You can also pick up a 2-year extended warranty from Pentax for about $20 USD.
07-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
bpl
Inactive Account

I bought my Kr off of Amazon warehouse also and with a nonworking flash. My understanding is that Pentax's warranty is not transferable in my case because it's a "used" camera, not a refurb, but I could be wrong. I would be interested if your camera is covered under the Pentax warranty.

Just be aware that Amazon's Warehouse return policy is only 30 days. If you decide on a refund, Costco has a pretty good deal on the Kr.

07-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bpl Quote
I bought my Kr off of Amazon warehouse also and with a nonworking flash. My understanding is that Pentax's warranty is not transferable in my case because it's a "used" camera, not a refurb, but I could be wrong. I would be interested if your camera is covered under the Pentax warranty.

Just be aware that Amazon's Warehouse return policy is only 30 days. If you decide on a refund, Costco has a pretty good deal on the Kr.
I just received the extended warranty card today. It does say that the warranty only applies to cameras purchased from a Pentax authorized dealer. So I guess that you need to verify whether Amazon Warehouse is considered a Pentax authorized dealer.

All that said, I am not sure how Pentax verifies where you purchased the camera. I suppose that they could verify that the item's serial number matches a vendor's distribution. The warranty card says to register online, but I think that that only applies to the camera and there is no required vendor info during that process. The warranty card also gives instructions for sending your camera in if it needs service, or if you want a one time free check up. However, it doesn't mention anything about sending in the bar code from the extended warranty card. I am going to back the website and see if there is an option for registering the extended warranty card as a product itself.
07-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I just received the extended warranty card today. It does say that the warranty only applies to cameras purchased from a Pentax authorized dealer. So I guess that you need to verify whether Amazon Warehouse is considered a Pentax authorized dealer.

All that said, I am not sure how Pentax verifies where you purchased the camera. I suppose that they could verify that the item's serial number matches a vendor's distribution. The warranty card says to register online, but I think that that only applies to the camera and there is no required vendor info during that process. The warranty card also gives instructions for sending your camera in if it needs service, or if you want a one time free check up. However, it doesn't mention anything about sending in the bar code from the extended warranty card. I am going to back the website and see if there is an option for registering the extended warranty card as a product itself.
I don't think mine came with a warranty card. I got some paperwork and online Pentax asks for a sales receipt.

I guess I'll call tomorrow when they're open and see. Although looking back at the kx and kr, they seem to announce new cameras around September-October and my next trip isn't until October...

It looks like Amazon warehouse deals aren't exactly deals anymore. I've never had a problem buying refurbished before this.
07-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kricket Quote
I don't think mine came with a warranty card. I got some paperwork and online Pentax asks for a sales receipt.

I guess I'll call tomorrow when they're open and see. Although looking back at the kx and kr, they seem to announce new cameras around September-October and my next trip isn't until October...

It looks like Amazon warehouse deals aren't exactly deals anymore. I've never had a problem buying refurbished before this.
Now that I look at the return procedures online I can see that they ask for a sales receipt and the extended warranty card. Funny that the procedure on the extended warranty card doesn't mention anything about providing either one.

I don't think that a new camera comes with a warranty card that you need to send back to register the product. At least mine didn't. I did follow the registration procedure online though.
07-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
Now that I look at the return procedures online I can see that they ask for a sales receipt and the extended warranty card. Funny that the procedure on the extended warranty card doesn't mention anything about providing either one.

I don't think that a new camera comes with a warranty card that you need to send back to register the product. At least mine didn't. I did follow the registration procedure online though.
Yeah I just sent it back a few minutes ago actually. The guy on the live chat said all I needed was an invoice or proof of purchase. Hopefully it comes back to me soon.
07-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
Forum Member

I can confirm this from first-hand experience. All that all that is required is the sales receipt (invoice). From the invoice they can then reference the vendor and when the clock started on the warranty (date of the sale).
07-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #13
Forum Member

How did you shoot the praying mantis?

Philosophical- You have a photo of a praying mantis in your signature and I am interested in doing similar type photography (close up of insects and what not) and am wondering what lenses you use and if you had any recommendations for a beginning photographer in terms of mid to low priced macro lenses?

Any help is appreciated!
07-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grimmy2016 Quote
Philosophical- You have a photo of a praying mantis in your signature and I am interested in doing similar type photography (close up of insects and what not) and am wondering what lenses you use and if you had any recommendations for a beginning photographer in terms of mid to low priced macro lenses?

Any help is appreciated!
You'll laugh... Most of my closeup shots are with a Pentax A SMC 50mm f/2 that is probably almost as old as I am. I picked it up shortly after getting my K-r last month, for $30 on Kijiji (it came with an old film body, ext. flash and tripod too, but I just wanted the lens).

I highly recommend this kind of prime. I mean I'm totally new to this, and I'm constantly surprising myself with what it can do. Easier to use than M series too. There are many better primes available, but the price was right for me on this one.