Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

My first K-r issue, regarding battery charger, and a potential fix

Hey guys,

I'm posting this thread mainly so if others have the issue I just ran into, they can fix it without too much bother.

I've had my K-r for just over 3 weeks. It is fantastic, I've never had a camera like this. Well, today the battery started to suck, getting maybe 100 shots before it was in the orange. Charging it didn't take long enough, with the charger shutting off after 5-10 minutes. This led me to think charger rather than battery.

So I re-plugged the cord on it, and tried it on a different circuit. No help there. I looked at the battery again, and noticed slight tarnish forming on the contacts where the pins on the charger rubbed against them when plugging in the battery (I've been charging it religiously every night).

Long story short, I took a rag and polished the battery contacts, and now it's charging normally again. So, if your battery starts acting weak, simply cleaning it would be a good first step.

07-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good tip! I'll file this one away in case it happens to me. Thanks!
07-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A product called DeoxIT is particular good for problems like this. Everyone should have 1.
08-18-2011, 02:44 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Or go crazy and buy a AA adaptor and a set or two of Sony Eneloops. You will not be sorry.

08-18-2011, 03:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Really, I'm extremely happy with the performance of the lithium battery that comes with the camera. I haven't run out of juice in the field yet, and only *need* to charge it after a day of use if I've been using the flash a lot.

The ability to use AAs with the K-r was one factor I considered when buying it, but now that I've seen how well the lithium one performs, I think I'll just pick up a second one when I can. Just as insurance.
08-18-2011, 05:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The adapter is a great thing to have, though. I have Sanyo Eneloops and they are great, but what's awesome about AA's is you can get some lithium AAs and those will take 1000 shots. So, if you are going to be shooting in extreme circumstances and need the extra battery life, you have that option.