Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #1

Looking at buying a K-R.. what about flash?

Hello--

I'm considering buying a K-r. I have an old 1976 Pentax ME that works fantastic, but of course is 35 mm. Needing to go digital (and well, all my other cameras are nice, but I'm ready for a DSLR).

I've read up that my lenses should all be compatible (yay!) but I'm curious about the attachable flash. I'm thinking from the looks of things, my current flash might fit, but I'm not sure. Anyone know? I appreciate it!

Thanks!

07-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
K-r is very good on specs and takes fantastic photos, but has an extremely poor build quality. A lot of problems with the faulty E-Dial have been reported. I have sent mine in for repair once and I still have to keep spraying it with electric contact cleaners. You might want to keep this little thing in mind.
07-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's one known issue, that most people can resolve. I don't think that indicates "extremely poor build quality", it just indicated that you're frustrated (understandably) with your particular copy.

The issue should clear up for you. Rotate the wheel for 5-10 minutes now that you've sprayed it. That will help get the bit of extra lubricant off the contacts. Be careful about using too much spray.

I don't think this issue should be a dealbreaker for anyone. It's fixable, and compared to the tungsten ff issue that a lot of people run into, it's nothing.

EDIT: @OP, any hotshoe flash should fit... but make sure it runs at a compatible voltage. There are other posts you can search for here about this, but what I took away from those is you have to be a bit careful that it's a compatible flash, beyond just fitting in the slot.
07-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scribblemaiden Quote
I've read up that my lenses should all be compatible (yay!) but I'm curious about the attachable flash. I'm thinking from the looks of things, my current flash might fit, but I'm not sure. Anyone know? I appreciate it!
Depends on the flash specifically. It will most likely physically fit, and the centre pin and edge contacts will no doubt align... BUT...
DSLR's usually have very low 'safe trigger voltages' - Its hard to quantify but its usually anywhere from around the 6-16V Mark.

Older flashes, such as Vivitar 2800's etc, can dump upwards of 300V's across the contacts. On a modern DSLR, this will fry it. If not right away, in a shortish period of time there after... You can still use these 'off-camera' as long as you are using a 'safe' TTL cord or something that limits the trigger voltage to a more reasonable level... Or of course, use them with separate optical triggers entirely unconnected from the camera...

Check the flash in the list on Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages - and if its not listed, its a pretty simple test with a multi-meter to see if its ok.

07-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Enjoy the K-r scribblemaiden. It's a capable little camera. Adrian's link is the way to find out if your flash is 'safe' to use with your K-r.
07-12-2011, 01:26 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I have Pentax AF200T and AF280T , are they safe to use with modern Pentax DSLR ( I have KX and K7 ) ?
regarding to the link quoted by adr1an :
"Your Call"
Hmm.........??
on the other hand, looking at some reviews at:
Flashes (Genuine Pentax) - Photographic/Pentax Accessory Database - Flash, Grip, Camera Bag Reviews
there are some happy users, and they do not report any problems.
could they cause possibly long term damage to the electronics?
07-12-2011, 01:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

they are listed as 'your call' because they both have over 6V trigger voltages and that website is for all makes and models of dslr - mind you - its not much more, its like 7.8? Since that site lists for all cameras, and many other brands are very sensitive over 6V. Pentax, depending where you look, can cope with 16V's+ ok (I think someone got it out of Pentax once.... might even have been on this very forum that I saw the post... but I've seen lots of different 'quoted' figures for Pentax's....).

And of course there is always the bloke that uses a flash that has 1000V discharge and used it for years with no problems at all so clearly people are just making this safe voltage business up ... Lol

Hence they state 'Your call' since its up to you to decide based on your camera, since the flashes are over what is the 'threshold' for whats considered *definitely* safe for the majority of camera brands..... If they put "ok", and then you used it on a fragile camera, then they'd be flooded with complaints...

In this instance, I myself would be ok with using it - its only fractionally outside the 'safe' voltage and outwardly well within Pentax's... But - its your camera, your decision, hence, Your Call

Last edited by adr1an; 07-12-2011 at 01:45 AM.
07-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #8

Original Poster
E-dial?

Still new on this whole DSLR thing.... forgive my ignorance, but, what is an e-dial?

07-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The Dial, or Jog-Wheel, on the rear of the camera.

Refer to https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/145847-k-r-e-dial-repair.html for some closeups... Although this repair probably goes to much further lengths than neccesary...
07-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Okay, I take back my concerns about the e-dial. One small squirt of electronic contact cleaner on the dial is enough to fix it for good.
07-22-2011, 07:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

K100D & flash volts

I've used an old Nissin flash for years with a K100D no problems. Flash trigger voltage measured is 10.5v. I saw a post somewhere about 3 yrs ago where someone quoted an email from Pentax saying that 24v was OK. Newer cameras? Who knows.