Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Continuous shooting with shoe-mounted flash slower, but not in Live View

I've been playing with my PENTAX K-r and Metz mecablitz 50 AF-1 digital flash unit in continuous shooting mode, and I've noticed some odd behavior.

The flash is set to manual, 1/128 power. The camera is set to manual exposure mode with 1/180 shutter speed, continuous drive high, manual focus. When I use the optical viewfinder, the frame rate is lower than normal, at about 3.0-3.5 frames per second. However, when I do this in Live View, the camera fires away at full speed. In both cases, the flash fired on all shots.

Why would there be a speed discrepancy? Is this a firmware bug?

--DragonLord

07-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was going to suggest that it might be because the mirror stays flipped up when using LV.. but my K20D it seems cycles the mirror in burst even when using LV.. so unless there is a different behaviour, its not that.

Looking through the OVF, do you notice if the mirror flips every shutter cycle when using LV ? I imagine in AV or TAv etc it would still flip the mirror to do the exposure calcs, but no idea if in M mode and LV it just leaves it up....?

I'm just guessing...
07-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
I was going to suggest that it might be because the mirror stays flipped up when using LV.. but my K20D it seems cycles the mirror in burst even when using LV.. so unless there is a different behaviour, its not that.

Looking through the OVF, do you notice if the mirror flips every shutter cycle when using LV ? I imagine in AV or TAv etc it would still flip the mirror to do the exposure calcs, but no idea if in M mode and LV it just leaves it up....?

I'm just guessing...
Yes, the mirror is cycled on every shot in Live View.

--DragonLord
07-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Yes, the mirror is cycled on every shot in Live View.

--DragonLord
Ah well - sorry - was a guess anyway as I said... Good Luck on finding the problem/solution !

07-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

After asking Pentax support regarding the slower continuous frame rate, I was told that is was a camera limitation but they denied the slowing down while flash was off yet still mounted on the hotshoe (as occurs with my K-5).
07-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
After asking Pentax support regarding the slower continuous frame rate, I was told that is was a camera limitation but they denied the slowing down while flash was off yet still mounted on the hotshoe (as occurs with my K-5).
Thanks, but why would the camera fire at full speed in Live View with flash on each shot? Note that my camera did not slow down when a flash is off while on the hot shoe.

--DragonLord