Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
How Weatherproof is the K-r?

I want to enter a photo contest for a local event, but the only day I can go has rain in the forecast... Can I kill my K-r and/or the kit lenses with light rain or dampness? Anyone have some solutions?

07-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I took my K-x with me to Cancun this year where we had constant rain the first three days of the trip. I put the camera in a clear grocery bag from the produce section rubberbanded at the end of the lens. (In this case a Tamron 18-250.)
It was well protected from the rain and the the see through bag let me use the viewfinder well enough.
Your K-r will have an advantage as the liveview will be even easier to use- the K-x liveview is too slow for pictures.
Look for the long clear bags near the 'pick it yourself' bakery section (common in our latin american markets around here.)
07-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #3

I took my K-x into light rain many times. I just made a good effort to keep it dry, i.e. wiping it down and keeping it covered as much as possible. I wouldn't stand in a downpour with the camera fully exposed, but a little water shouldn't hurt it.

Others may feel differently, I've seen people run for cover at the slightest hint of rain. But it never hurt my camera.
07-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A light drizzle is okay. You just have to make sure no water gets inside thru the lens mount and to not squeeze the buttons if there's water around. I've taken my K-x around in waterfalls with a lot of moisture around and it wasn't an issue.

That said, you probably want to avoid zoom lenses. They will suck water inside, which is a bigger problem than moisture getting inside the body, as it will condensate on the lens elements and render it useless.

07-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #5

Original Poster
So just like any electronics really Thanks for the replies. I won't have to worry about zoom lenses, either, because I will mostly be using the 35mm prime.
07-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Just buy the Optech plastic covers. They are ~$10 from memory and come in packs of 2. I'd rather spend that much than risk a $600 body.