Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-13-2011, 02:18 AM   #1

New Pentax K-r owner

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I just received my Pentax K-r yesterday evening (right before I had to go to Harry Potter 7.2 premiere in Denmark) so I couldn't mess around with it, as I didn't have time.
I've now messed a little around with it and here are my first thoughts of the Pentax K-r compared to the Pentax K100D that I've been using.

• It's a lot smaller and lighter. I don't know if this is bad or not, but personally I prefer to have a camera that seems robust and the K100D seems to beat the K-r at that point.
  • The menu isn't bad as DigitalREV says it is. It might just be because I've been using the K100D's menu, that I know how to work around with it.
  • The liveview is awesome and I'm sure I'll have use of it when macro photographing with a tripod. But what's up with the noise? Could somebody explain it to me?
  • The buttons are perfect with one exception: I don't like how small the keypad is (the up, down, left, right keypad). Again, this might just be because I'm coming from the K100D.
  • The autofcus is brilliant even with the default firmware as I haven't updated yet. I bought the 35mm F2.4 together with the K-r and it's amazingly fast and accurate!
  • The battery... I'd wish they'd still use AA batteries by default or had atleast shipped the K-r with the AA adapter. It's just so much easier to use if you ask me.

I'm sure my new K-r and I will have a great time together the next upcoming years!

07-13-2011, 02:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
digitalrev spent more time looking at silly people and picking on pentax than actually reviewing the camera. i watch the channel for the laughs, not the reviews
noise is the SR constantly running in live view. its normal

congrats on your new k-r!
07-13-2011, 05:02 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome and enjoy your K-r. It will contune to serve you well for a while to come.
07-14-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you want to use AA batteries.
Brand New Battery Holder Box for Pentax KR K-R Camera - eBay (item 180669498715 end time Jul-18-11 17:50:54 PDT)

07-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #5

Is $9 a good price for a battery holder?
07-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #6

$39.95 at Amazon US so $9 with Free Shipping is good.

Last edited by musicfan; 07-14-2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: fix link
07-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I just got my K-r too. I think I am in love LOL. I agree the autofocus is amazing.

07-15-2011, 01:01 AM   #8

I like the camera so far. I am a little hard to please as well. Other Pentax Users (UK) dont seem to have any trouble with ff on the KR
07-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Battery holders are expensive so just grab the 3rd party ones. $9 is cheap compared to the original ones..it's just a battery holder anyway.
07-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome I think mine is great also, I also have the AA adapter and a 2nd after market LI battery, both work fine

Hans
07-20-2011, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Surfwatch Quote
I like the camera so far. I am a little hard to please as well. Other Pentax Users (UK) dont seem to have any trouble with ff on the KR
I think those guys are in denial. They are unabashed Pentax apologists and tend to rip anyone who suggests there are problems with anything related to Pentax. I consider myself a very happy and satisfied owner (have a DL and a K-r).....but to not acknowledge an issue is deceptive and disingenuous.

I tried to start the same poll I started here.....about the "relevance" of the K-r ff problem to each owner. Unlike here......where everyone seemed to understand the nature of the poll question.....they instead perceived it to be only negative and attacked the straw man which was the poll (no pun intended). I tried to explain why I phrased it the way I did.....but nobody seemed to want to understand it for what it was (except for a couple of late posters and they were summarily dismissed as well).

I was actually trying to discern whether or not it even mattered to most of the owners.....whether they had the problem on their camera or not. So ironically, it was actually a positive poll for the K-r because the results of it (here at least) bared that out....that it wasn't a big problem for most owners.

I didn't take their hostility personal......rather I was just frustrated with their attitudes about the way the poll was worded. Nobody here seemed to have any trouble with it......so you tell me what's the difference?