Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
Forum Member

Best price for K-r in Toronto area ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi Pentaxians !

Can any fellow Canucks help suggest where I can find the best price for a black K-r body from an authorized Pentax dealer in the GTA (Toronto) area ?
Henry's & Vistek still have them at $699 for body+kit 18-55, but now that I just pulled the trigger on a DA21, I want to minimize the cost as much as possible.
Any suggestion is much welcomed ...

Thank you !

07-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Prodigital2000 (ebay) has the K-r + 18-55 kit for ~CAD$581. ProDigital is the ebay storefront for Carmans Fotosource which have a number of locations across Ontario. I'm not sure if the in store price will be as good as the ebay price.

They are an authorized dealer and Pentax Canada does recognize them (I had service done on my K-r bought from Prodigital2000 under warranty).

Shipping is free if ordered through Prodigital. I also bought a DA 55-300 through them with no troubles.

AB
07-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I got mine from Black's for $599 less than a month ago.

A couple points in favour of going this way:
1. It's a brick an mortar, so you can handle the camera in store, check the e-dial, fire off a couple shots and make sure it all works well - before you pay.
2. If you ever have to send it in for servicing, you only need to drop it off at a Black's store. They handle shipping for you, so it isn't out of pocket.
07-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I agree Philoslothical that going to an actual store is generally better. However, here in Newfoundland we are very limited and we only have 2 stores to choose from. If neither store has the item you want you have no choice but to order. I bought my K-r for $699 at Prodigital with the kit. The local price here was $850. The cost for me to send it for service was $50 so I'm still in money.

AB

07-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

For sure, and I'm not knocking online vendors at all. He asked about Toronto specifically, which probably has the most brick and mortar options of anywhere in Canada. $599 is the best retail price I've found.

That said, Black's is OK for that initial purchase, but don't expect to be a repeat customer for much. They don't stock a single Pentax lens, and only offer the one kit option for the price I mentioned.
07-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info ... I checked eBay and yes, there are two stores: Prodigital2000 and 123Easyship. They are both the same eBay storefront for Carman's Fotosource in Stratford, ON. On the Pentax Canada website, Carman Fotosource is listed as an authorized dealer of Pentax cameras.

They have the Pentax K-r body only as $499, which is quite a big difference from $649 for body only in the Brick & Mortar store. Besides, Pentax Canada is located in Mississauga, so I think if there's any problems, I'll just drive there & drop it off !

BTW:
Prodigital2000 lists in $US and 123Easyship lists in $Cdn.
It threw me off to see the $US price higher than $Cdn, then I remember our dollar is going further South of the border these days !!! :-)

Last edited by vn33; 07-13-2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: clarification of Carman being authorized dealer
07-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #7

I just bought a K-r from them on eBay. Bought it Sunday and had it here in Ottawa on Tuesday morning. Love the camera so far.

07-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Price has been going like a roller coaster...

NEW Pentax K-r Digital SLR Black Camera Body Only 12MP | eBay
07-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #9

i'l be one of them people ordering for 123easy ship (prodigital200/carmans) tonight... undecided between the body and the 35mm AL kit tho... but either way, have heard nothing but good about Carmans....

And on the Blacks thing, went into my local Blacks and they would have to order the K-r in and it would take over a week to get it... and as mentioned, no pentax gear at all, in store!!
07-14-2011, 05:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Well the cheapest price for actual physical stores is Black's right now that I see. However, depending on your location it may or may not be in store. It really depends on the market. Out of my two Black's stores in my area only 1 carried the Pentax Kr while the other would have to obtain it from the previous store. Your in the Toronto area and I'm surprised that it would take a week to get one. I would guess atleast one Black's in the GTA area would have it.

Another option is to price match the Black's price at Henry's. You could test it out before you buy it just to make sure no issues.
07-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
Well the cheapest price for actual physical stores is Black's right now that I see. However, depending on your location it may or may not be in store. It really depends on the market. Out of my two Black's stores in my area only 1 carried the Pentax Kr while the other would have to obtain it from the previous store. Your in the Toronto area and I'm surprised that it would take a week to get one. I would guess atleast one Black's in the GTA area would have it.

Another option is to price match the Black's price at Henry's. You could test it out before you buy it just to make sure no issues.
Hi epqwerty ...

What is the price at Blacks ?
I doubt they would be able to match the eBay shop 123Ship (Prodigital2000)

Last edited by vn33; 07-14-2011 at 08:40 AM. Reason: typo
07-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

As mentioned above, price at Black's is $599+tax with the 18-55mm kit lens. That's the ONLY Pentax product they carry though, aside from a few branches still having a K-x kicking around.
07-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ah .. thanks Philoslothical!

I think I'll still pull the trigger with 123EasyShip (Carmans Fotosource) though ... $499 for the K-r body is very tempting !!
07-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm inclined to agree with you. I don't find the 18-55 useful at all, kinda wish I had got the body only. I was a bit paranoid, wanted to make sure the copy I got worked well before dropping the cash... I guess it evens out for that assurance.
07-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yes 599 at Blacks. Depending on your store the selection varies. My store also sells the 50-200 DA. However, online wise they only list the Kr nothing else. Again it really depends on market.