Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Going from K-7 to K-r?

Hi you all! I have been using my K-7 since the day it was released and it has served me well. I tried many lenses during these years and just recently i came to the end of the LBA path, feeling very comfortable and happy with my lens choices.

However, the K-7 does seem to have gotten kinda old, i dont know if its possible but it feels mechanically worn.

Today, im not able to purchase the K-5 wich is kinda sad, but i placed all my money in the lenses. Im very tempted by the price of the K-r. I know all the specs of K-r, K-7 and K-5 so i know what i will be missing out. Weather sealing is not an biggie for me.

What im thinking of is the lower pixel density for my lenses, and the viewfinder (wich should be bright enought with my Ltd's). The sensor and better ISO performance is a plus though. The AF? Will it be a litle better than the K-7?

Please do contribute your thoughts. Im thinking of using the K-r until the next gen Pentax advanced body arrives and saving up money for that.

And... i will not rush to sell the K-7, before i tested the K-r.

07-15-2011, 05:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I would avoid the K-r if you frequently shoot in areas with tungsten ambient lighting. Beyond this issue, the K-r is a terrific cam.
07-15-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I would avoid the K-r if you shoot brackets on tripods and expect to be able to release the shutter with a remote.
07-15-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
I would avoid the K-r if you shoot brackets on tripods and expect to be able to release the shutter with a remote.
Oh... This i didnt know. Will have to consider this more carefully... That is an option i must have.

07-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Small details like the remote are what made me choose the K-7. I knew I wouldn't use them every day, but I would use them. I just used the K-7's interval timer a couple of nights ago.

Waiting is always a great idea. A new top-tier camera will drive down the price of the K-5, new or used. Or you might have enough for the new one. I'm going to wait until 2015.
07-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wait, you can't use a remote for the K-r?

edit: I see brackets. I didn't know the term and only vaguely the concept.

Last edited by kenafein; 07-15-2011 at 08:08 AM.
07-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
What!? Granted, you need to be slightly more creative in your way of doing this, due to the front positioning of the IR sensor, but it's very usable still. A small bit of aluminum foil, or a half of an aluminum pie plate bent to form a half dish is all you need. Position this on the tripod near the sensor to act as a reflector, and you can easily use the IR remote from behind the camera.

Of all the things that people complain about with the K-r, this one is one of the easiest to adapt to.

07-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's the combination of Exposure Bracketing and a remote that's impossible. Look at the Drive Mode options on your camera and you'll see why: you can choose one or the other, not both.

The lack of a socket for a wired remote does not sound like a big deal at first, but with that socket, you can do a lot. An interval timer, for example. With no socket, there's no alternative to this bracketing issue.
07-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yep, I misread (didn't notice the word brackets). Sorry, woof. Note to self: no more posting before first coffee.

Is pkTrigger a workaround for this? Or, since it's still in development, is it likely to be?
07-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Hi you all! I have been using my K-7 since the day it was released and it has served me well. I tried many lenses during these years and just recently i came to the end of the LBA path, feeling very comfortable and happy with my lens choices.

However, the K-7 does seem to have gotten kinda old, i dont know if its possible but it feels mechanically worn.

Today, im not able to purchase the K-5 wich is kinda sad, but i placed all my money in the lenses. Im very tempted by the price of the K-r. I know all the specs of K-r, K-7 and K-5 so i know what i will be missing out. Weather sealing is not an biggie for me.

What im thinking of is the lower pixel density for my lenses, and the viewfinder (wich should be bright enought with my Ltd's). The sensor and better ISO performance is a plus though. The AF? Will it be a litle better than the K-7?

Please do contribute your thoughts. Im thinking of using the K-r until the next gen Pentax advanced body arrives and saving up money for that.

And... i will not rush to sell the K-7, before i tested the K-r.
How many shots have you taken with your K-7? Is there a camera shop you could take it to for a reconditioning? It seems to me that it could be tough regressing in terms of body handling.
07-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
How many shots have you taken with your K-7? Is there a camera shop you could take it to for a reconditioning? It seems to me that it could be tough regressing in terms of body handling.
Well.... the numbers are 104_0005 now, so my guess is 40k...

Sensor is fine and clean, wich i didnt expect when i looked closely the other day!
The AF kinda feels "worn out". This is just a feeling and i have no evidence of it, but it just feels slower than when it was new. The shutter button is also getting kinda quirky, sometimes not responding on halfpress, sometimes releasing the shutter to fast/easy.
The AF adjustment works when it wants to. Calibrating lenses is really hard when it doesnt adjust and sometimes it does.

So there are strange things happening going on, but i cant put my finger on it
Anyways...

So... IR remote does not work with bracketing???
07-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Well.... the numbers are 104_0005 now, so my guess is 40k...
The way mine is, it will make a new folder starting at 100_ each day, so four days of using it and it'll be prefixed with 104_, but it will start over at 100_ if I empty the card. This is with the K-r though, so there may be differences in the numbering scheme with the K-7.

You can tell your exact shutter count from the EXIF data of one of your images. I'm using this program as an EXIF viewer on Windows, but there are others available.
07-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't have, nor have I ever used, any of the bodies mentioned here. Rather I have a K10D and my daughter has a K100D. There have been 4 entry level bodies released that have better specs ISO/AF performance (6 in regards to ISO) than my K10D, but quite honestly, switching to one of the entry level bodies full time is just not worth it.
07-17-2011, 01:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love the color rendition of the Kx-Kr sensors. I was actually considering getting the Kr for my Pro work. Would need a couple to have a back up.
07-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Hmm..I didin't know the Kr didn't have a remote port plug/jack.
Bummer!
I would care more for the remote port than the Tungsten thingy if it really existed.
I guess I'm really sticking with my K100DS!