Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, I tried it. Got the camera out of the bag in a quiet room, and tilted it... I did hear one faint noise, sounded like something sliding a very short distance. Tilted it back and forth a dozen times after that and never heard another sound out of it. The "slide" noise was quite soft, if I hadn't been paying attention specifically, I might have missed it. Definitely not a grinding, or thunking. Now that I'm aware of it I might notice it again, or not.

06-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #17

f you turn the camera on its side, while it's off...

To set the record straight, the noise has nothing to do with whether the camera is on or off. The electromagnets for the sensor are only energized when a picture is being taken. Mine clunked whether the camera was switched on or off. There apparently is some way of getting the sensor energized without taking a picture but I never even bothered to do that as I was sure I was going to return the camera- which I have.
Another point that is being missed by some here is that my "whining" has to do with the noise the second camera I purchased was making. The first camera made no discernible sounds, but the second made a clunking noise even taking it out of the camera bag to take a picture. As FreezeFrame indicated in his original post, and I reiterated- there seems to be quite a variation in the "normal" clunking sounds that various K-r cameras make. Again, I think that speaks to a poor design, poor quality control or actual damage. I don't care anymore, I returned them both.
06-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Oh my. The twits that think this is something to worry about. If you want a camera that's silent when off, get an freakin canikon. You won't get shake reduction in the body, but apparently that doesn't matter. Pay for it repeatedly with lenses.

I genuinely feel sorry for the retailers you people are abusing by returning perfectly good cameras because you think a bit of noise from the SR arrangement is abnormal. Twits.
06-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not a concern here, the camera's staying put (and I'm learning it, hope to excavate the old screw-mount SMC Takumars to see if they are in usable condition...fingers crossed...).

But if I heard a distinct grinding noise I would be concerned. I didn't, it was a faint, brief little "sliding" sound, as if some component or other had moved into position. Which is what it was doing, neh?

Frankly I like the idea of the SR in the body. I have access to, and use, a D80 for work-related things. Nice camera, I won't say it isn't, but I'm finding the K-r easier and more comfortable to use.

06-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #20

Philoslothical, please review the forum"s General Conduct Rules: "...'we would like to maintain a friendly forum and do not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or inflammatory posts." I would think that calling a person (or people) "twits" because they have presented a view you disagree with would qualify as a violation of that policy. For someone that posts here as often as you do, I would have thought that you might have already been aware of that. I'm glad I returned the camera and I will take your recommendation to buy a Canon under advisement. Also, thanks for the friendly advice regarding my whining and silliness, your comments on this post have been most helpful.
06-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you have a good camera store nearby, one that will allow you to examine and handle different models, brands, lens combinations? I understand your frustration -- as I noted, if I had heard grinding and thunking I'd have been more than concerned! -- but I hope you won't write off other Pentax models. Still, an unpleasant introduction, I can see that.
06-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #22
Pentaxian

This morning I took out my K-r after reading this thread as I could not remember loud noises. Yes there is a sliding sound when you rock it or rotate it and the sound is the same if the camera is on or not. But it is not a grinding sound in what I would call a grinding noise. AS far as taking the camera to a store so that you can compare it to their camera and other brands so that you can buy it somewhere else; that I do not think is a considered move although more and more people think the local store is there for their own personal testing of gear that they can then go online and order for less money from a place that does not have to pay staff or merchandise for you to examine or try out.

Good luck with whichever way you go.