Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JustLinnea Quote
this is a Auto Sears 50mm f2 Lens Japan i was curious to know if its possible to use this lens on my KR the mount fits on it but
when turning my camera on it doesnt read the lens at all if any of you know anything about this lens that would be GREAT!!
Hi Linnea,

That is my daughter's middle name BTW.

First off the lens mount looks pretty dirty. It may be worthwhile to clean it using a pencil eraser and wiping off the crumbs.

Second, although the lens says Auto, if it doesn't have an "A" setting on the aperture ring, then it really is just a manual lens. Sometimes lenses are marked Auto because they will enable the aperture to automatically open wide until the shutter is released. This allows the maximum light through the view finder to make focusing easier. In other words, you set the aperture ring on the lens to f5.6, but you are seeing things as if the lens were set to f2. You stop down using the green button to get the correct meter reading for f5.6. When you press the shutter the lens aperture will change from f2 to f5.6.

Third, if your lens doesn't have the "A" aperture setting position, then the camera won't display an aperture setting. It will still meter correctly if you use the green button, but it will say "--" for the aperture. Without the "A" setting the camera doesn't know what the aperture is set at because it doesn't have an electrical connection to the lens.

Fourth, there are ways to get manual lenses to display the aperture setting, but it involves shorting contact points. It is probably pretty easy to do, but I have no need to do it myself. You can search the forum for the info.

Lastly, yes the lens you have should work on a K-r. Cheers.

04-23-2012, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@JustLinnea:

Also make sure you change the setting in the 'custom' bit of the menu that allows the camera to fire without an auto lens attached. Can't remember the name. "Allow aperture setting other than A" according to https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html - check that thread for more info on using manual lenses.
04-24-2012, 03:22 AM   #18

its a nice name to have its rare

The lens wasn't always mine a friend of mine back in Florida gave me his sears camera and i just got it back from Florida so i have to clean it was dirty when i first got it too.
and thank you so much for writing back to this.. both comments helped me a bunch! its working on my kr wonderfully now ill be sure to post a picture when i can
04-26-2012, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #19

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg140/ninjanea/IMGP9018.jpg

Last edited by JustLinnea; 04-26-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: picture didnt show up