Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2011, 11:46 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Catch in focus problem

I had set catch in focus to ON, but my Kr still fire even subject way out of focus. I'm using A-50mm F2.

Anyone with catch in focus problem too?

07-16-2011, 12:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CIF needs to be enabled in your menu settings (which you probably already have set) and you need to have the "BODY SWITCH" for focus type set to "AF" and your AF focusing needs to be set to "AF.S"...

07-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #3

Especially that AF.S switch. It will be unselectable in the menu (since K-x, K-r don't have dedicated mode switches) because you attached a MF lens, so you will have to switch back to an AF lens first. Change it in the menu, then swap lenses again.

Stupidly annoying isnt it?
07-16-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 0rangepeel Quote
Especially that AF.S switch. It will be unselectable in the menu (since K-x, K-r don't have dedicated mode switches) because you attached a MF lens, so you will have to switch back to an AF lens first. Change it in the menu, then swap lenses again.

Stupidly annoying isnt it?
Not annoying at all, because you don't need to do this with a K-x. Just go into your menu settings, second page in (#2) and scroll down to where you can select it.

I just switched over to it on my old Sears 50mm 1.7.

Not sure if they changed it for the K-r, but I'm going to assume not.

07-16-2011, 06:07 AM   #5

Original Poster
Yes, I got it to work. Thanks for the tips. The MF/AF switch did the trick. It works on AFA as well, but AFS is more accurate. It does not work on AFC though.

The AF mode selections on Kr can be accessed while using the manual lens, but you have to use the Menu button. The quick access menu (pressing the Info button on Kr) disabbled the AF mode selections when manual lens are mounted.
07-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #6

First of all, I'm sorry to hijack your thread...

I'm having exactly the same problem...

The difference is that even when I change the button on the camera to AF, the information on the screen is always MF, never changes to AF.S, and the shutter always fires, regardless being or not in focus.

I must be doing something wrong...

The lens I'm using is a Cosina Cosinon S 50mm F1.8 (K mount)

I'd really appreciate any help, because I've seen the capabilities of the camera and lens, and I'm getting a bit frustrated at this...

Thanks
07-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
First of all, I'm sorry to hijack your thread...

I'm having exactly the same problem...

The difference is that even when I change the button on the camera to AF, the information on the screen is always MF, never changes to AF.S, and the shutter always fires, regardless being or not in focus.

I must be doing something wrong...

The lens I'm using is a Cosina Cosinon S 50mm F1.8 (K mount)

I'd really appreciate any help, because I've seen the capabilities of the camera and lens, and I'm getting a bit frustrated at this...

Thanks
Are you using Kx or Kr?

On my Kr, your have to press the "Menu" button. On the first page, you may select the AF mode even you have a manual lens mounted.

Hope this help.
07-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JayM Quote
the information on the screen is always MF
The on screen info will always show "MF" when a manual focus screen is attached - just do what I suggested earlier in this thread (others suggested too) and your CIF will work...

-

07-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by chongmic Quote
Are you using Kx or Kr?

On my Kr, your have to press the "Menu" button. On the first page, you may select the AF mode even you have a manual lens mounted.

Hope this help.
I'm also using K-r.
I do that - Menu -> AF.S -> OK.

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
The on screen info will always show "MF" when a manual focus screen is attached - just do what I suggested earlier in this thread (others suggested too) and your CIF will work...
I must be doing something wrong... I've gone through the steps a dozen times, and the camera still shoots out of focus (both on Manual or Tv modes).

Oh, and today I tried with another lens (an M42 with adapter) - same thing...

What am I missing?
07-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JayM Quote
Oh, and today I tried with another lens (an M42 with adapter) - same thing...
Your not going to be able to use CIF with the M-42 adaptor UNLESS:

1 - If the adapter is a recessed adapter, you need to foil the contacts on the body
2 - Use a flanged adapter (you will lose infinity focus with the flanged one)

Also, one of the most common mistakes I see is the "AF/MF" switch on the body must be switched to "AF" <- NOT MF....

-
07-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Your not going to be able to use CIF with the M-42 adaptor UNLESS:

1 - If the adapter is a recessed adapter, you need to foil the contacts on the body
2 - Use a flanged adapter (you will lose infinity focus with the flanged one)

Also, one of the most common mistakes I see is the "AF/MF" switch on the body must be switched to "AF" <- NOT MF....

-
OK, I'm using a recessed adapter, so I suppose I'll have to foil the contacts (I don't really know what that means but I'll search the forum.

However, the other lens I'm using is PK mount. Do you think the lens mount might be shortening the camera's contacts and thus not allowing CIF to work?

Here's a pic of the lens in question:

P.S.: I've checked the AF/MF switch (it's on AF)
07-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The lens is the issue - like M42 lenses, that K-Mount lens has a coating (paint, powder coating, some kind of finish ) on the bottom of it.

Most old K-Mount manual lenses do not have a coating and the lens flange/base is bare metal and thus acts as a conductor. When the lens is mounted on the camera, the pins/contacts on the body automatically short out - with the coating, the flange on the lens does not act as a conductor and thus does not short the pins/contacts automatically (this will also be the case with cheaper built lenses that do not use metal flanges/bases).

Search the forum and there will be detailed instructions that will show you how to foils the pins/contacts...

BTW: What lens is that?

--
07-20-2011, 03:18 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Not annoying at all, because you don't need to do this with a K-x. Just go into your menu settings, second page in (#2) and scroll down to where you can select it.

I just switched over to it on my old Sears 50mm 1.7.

Not sure if they changed it for the K-r, but I'm going to assume not.
Oh darnit! I never checked the menu there I only checked at the info menu! Thanks
04-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
[/IMG]

this is a Auto Sears 50mm f2 Lens Japan i was curious to know if its possible to use this lens on my KR the mount fits on it but
when turning my camera on it doesnt read the lens at all if any of you know anything about this lens that would be GREAT!!
04-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #15

Photos: Albums

i guess that picture didnt work out oops