Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2011, 08:45 AM   #1

Question about FF issue

Alright, I've read through about all the FF problem threads on the net and have a question.... although it may have been alluded to a few times without direct verification.

If I'm using manual focus and the subject is in focus in the correct spot through the viewfinder, will the pic be correct without FF? Or do I actually have to move the focus point a bit, even in manual mode.

This is regardless of the green confirmation light which I know uses the AF system to go off.

I really want to buy this camera, especially after handling it vs a T2I and d5000, but I do take pics of my son in the house, mostly quick candid shots from the couch. I suppose I could replace all the light bulbs though or maybe just use the LCD.

Thanks.... I know it's my first post but if I get this thing I'll be here all the time

07-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If the image is in focus in the viewfinder, the picture will be in focus.It is possible that you will not have the confirmation light, however.
It is also possible to have the confirmation without actual focus. Trust your eyes when manual focusing.
07-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #3

Original Poster
Fantastic....... Just what I was hoping to hear. One of my goals with the SLR is to get good at MF.

Looks like I'll be ordering the k-r very soon and probably asking more questions
07-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #4

I suggest you get a better focus screen as the stock screen might fool you when focusing. It's not that easy in low light either. Another option is the magnifier eyepiece.

Good luck in your decision

07-23-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Using the K-r's Live View is the way to go for accurate focus in tungsten light. Manually focusing in such conditions will be very difficult and slow.
07-29-2011, 04:31 AM   #6

I bought a LCD Loupe on E-Bay. So difficult to see anything on the LCD when taking a video. May help with manual focus as well I suppose.
07-29-2011, 06:24 AM   #7

I do have FF issues but it can be hit and miss .. I have focus fine tune set to -8 and that is about right for my kr .. but then sometimes after taking an indoor pic (not in tungsten light) and pixel peeping, which I do often after discovering FF problem, I find its backfocussing, so I turn AF fine adjust off and that works ok but then after a while or next day it FF's again .. I then have to set to -8 again .. Damn frustrating! I have also recently purchased the smc 35mm f2.4 prime and same problems .. then when you add on outdoor shooting I have to change AF adjust again .. great camera but this drives me mad .. you just can't put your faith in the AF system and waste valuable time peeping to make sure shots are sharp ..
07-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #8

I have been having some issues under tungsten light. I am using a focus card.

Using Pentax zooms 55-300 and 35-80. For each lens at the upper zoom the focus is spot on. But when I go down to the bottom end. The focus is patchy and has some ff or bf issues.

Will have to test outside, today, to see if there is the same problem in sunshine.

The focus card is A4 and probably useless in the low range because you cant get close enough to really be able to see the printing clearly. Manual focus, forget it.

Did some more tests outside and the issue is still a bit apparent, but acceptable. Probably just as difficult to focus manually, at the lower zoom levels, when the same distance form an object, using the upper zoom levels.

Last edited by Surfwatch; 07-30-2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Further testing carried outside
08-05-2011, 06:39 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your experiencing the issue outside in daylight it's not the wretched FF complaint filling this forum. The FF issue is apparent with thin DOF (fast lens wide open with short distance to subject). If you are not under those conditions, it's probable that something else in the frame is in focus, or motion blur is cause. Writing from a mobile device so I don't see if there are images accompanying the posts above - but that is the best way to diagnose the source of the problem (exif included).
08-05-2011, 07:10 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I first got my Kr, I was a bit paranoid about the FF issue. I thought I was seeing it a few times, but overall didn't notice it much.

I recently went back and looked at a couple of my photos which I thought had some FF problems. These were taken outside but in lower light, but I had chalked it up to FF. When I looked closer and looked at my EXIF, I realized it wasn't FF at all but slight camera shake.

I'm not saying the problem doesn't exist, as it certainly does. But sometimes there really is some other explanation. Nowadays, I really try to minimize camera shake, get that shutter speed up as much as possible or use a tripod if handy. Indoors, I use LiveView if I'm experiencing FF problems. It's a bit aggravating but it works.
09-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
MJL
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Talrok,

I have the same experience you have described. Sometime the lenses work fine without the AF adjustment, some lenses are more accurate than the others, but I feel the K-r is at fault. Have you contacted Pentax about this focusing issue? I called them and the guy just ask me to send in to have it reset (calibrate?) to factory spec.

Vic
09-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Shortly after I got my K-r, I had some focusing issues, and I thought the ff issue in low light. I tried using the AF fine adjustment, and like talrok it seemed better under some circumstances, and problematic with others.

It turned out that my viewfinder diopter wasn't set correctly for my eyes. It took a couple days of fiddling with it and testing, but that was definitely the problem. Since I figured out where I need it set (about one click from the right), all has been good with any lens I've used.

I'm not saying others don't have an actual focusing issue, but I am saying to examine other possible causes like this. Identifying this problem saved me some major headaches.
09-10-2011, 02:18 AM   #13

IMHO live view is better if you have poor eyesight. It's not any slower than MF, and would be easier in low light.
09-12-2011, 03:34 AM   #14
ak2

I recently got a K-r and to be honest (being new in the hole photography experience) i can not see clearly this ff problem.Maybe posting some photos with comon subjects for all of us would be helpfull??????