Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-r handling dim tungsten light

Hi all.

Here are som K-r shots in low light, some are shoot with AF (Tamron 10-24 3,5-4,5), some with MF (Chinon 50/1,7). All with Liveview. All handheld. Some are 1/6s, I wonder how I managed them? Maybe all the beer...?

Pic #1-3 are MF. The rest is AF.

WB adjusted and resized. Thats all.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 

Last edited by zantaphia; 07-04-2016 at 02:31 PM.
07-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zantaphia Quote
All with Liveview.
Just so you're aware, any front focus the K-r has under tungsten doesn't happen in live view, so we wouldn't expect to see anything unusual here.

Live view uses contrast detection for AF, whereas the normal viewfinder modes use phase detection. Live view and manual focus are both "workarounds" for the ff issue.
07-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

What he said.

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Just so you're aware, any front focus the K-r has under tungsten doesn't happen in live view, so we wouldn't expect to see anything unusual here.

Live view uses contrast detection for AF, whereas the normal viewfinder modes use phase detection. Live view and manual focus are both "workarounds" for the ff issue.
07-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

f/3.5-4.5 isn't ideal for reproducing the issue either.

07-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster

In some postings here at PentaxForums it sounds like you can't use the K-r at all in tungsten light. I had to try it myself. The truth is it was so dark I couldn't see at all through the optical WF (bad beer issue?). And because of the crowd I held the camera up a bit to shoot over them. But point taken, I'll try the optical WF next time.

Last edited by zantaphia; 07-22-2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Added PentaxForums for clarification
07-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I find low light, and especially (to coin a term) "broken light" - like when you get really contrasty areas in a tree, with sunlight illuminating just parts of it - to both be much more challenging, even using MF. I haven't experienced anything I could clearly blame on the camera though. It's probably just me, I've only had the K-r a month, and it's my first DSLR.

Live view, only used it a few times, when I didn't feel like laying on the ground to take a shot. No problems with those few shots either, but none were really low light.

One thing I have noticed, and I don't know if it's normal for DSLRs in general or not, but using the flash, even when guestimating range in the dark with a manual lens, 95% of the time produces OMGDETAIL!! level clarity. I could get used to that.

IDK, everyone's experiences with it are different, just throwing my own in.
07-22-2011, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

You actually used the camera correctly in this case. Live view is the way to go with the K-r in tungsten light.

In some postings here it sounds like you can't use the K-r at all in tungsten light. I had to try it myself. The truth is it was so dark I couldn't see at all through the optical WF (bad beer issue?). And because of the crowd I held the camera up a bit to shoot over them. But point taken, I'll try the optical WF next time.
07-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I find low light, and especially (to coin a term) "broken light" - like when you get really contrasty areas in a tree, with sunlight illuminating just parts of it - to both be much more challenging, even using MF. I haven't experienced anything I could clearly blame on the camera though. It's probably just me, I've only had the K-r a month, and it's my first DSLR.

Live view, only used it a few times, when I didn't feel like laying on the ground to take a shot. No problems with those few shots either, but none were really low light.

One thing I have noticed, and I don't know if it's normal for DSLRs in general or not, but using the flash, even when guestimating range in the dark with a manual lens, 95% of the time produces OMGDETAIL!! level clarity. I could get used to that.

IDK, everyone's experiences with it are different, just throwing my own in.
I've had mine K-r for about 4 months now, and +6K on the counter, but still learning everyday. I've never tried MF-lenses and flash, that could be a good lesson in the winter.

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
You actually used the camera correctly in this case. Live view is the way to go with the K-r in tungsten light.
:-)

07-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm a bit worried about wearing it out. 7400 shots in just a few days over a month. I'm addicted.
07-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I've had mine K-r for about 4 months now, and +6K on the counter, but still learning everyday. I've never tried MF-lenses and flash, that could be a good lesson in the winter.
It is tough sledding.. no pun intended. It takes me a few pics to get the settings right for flash use with a manual lens.

I've had my K-r ~7Mo, and I'm up around same number of shots.

To appreciate the Front Focus, you need to understand that the DoF of fast lenses decreases with decreasing distance to just a sliver. Great DoF calculator here - I've only rarely had an issue, and that was using a fast lens at an aperture that wasnt appropriate for the distance and subject. Using Spot AF, and appropriate aperture selection, I've never had an issue. I NEVER use live view.
07-29-2011, 04:38 AM   #11

Been testing the AF under tungsten light. Has anyone noticed that the AF is not quite as good at the lower end of a zoom lens. ie at the 55m of a 55-300 and 35mm on a 35-80. I have found that at the higher zoom the focus is excellent. I suppose that this is the inherent problem of contrast under tungsten light with a shorter lens.
08-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #12
MJL
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My K-r is totally useless in stage performances (zoom or prime) and manual focus lenses at all time. I have to dial in -8 in AF Fine Adjustment to make 200/2.8 to focus correctly for stage. No help in MF even with Kateyes installed. Only LV gives accurate focusing. An extreme disappointment!
08-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If you can't manually focus correctly, chances are there's something wrong with your camera, and it will need to be calibrated. The tungsten FF issue only applies to using AF without Live View. Both MF and AF in Live View should be working fine.

The other possibility is that your Katzeye needs a shim, or isn't correctly aligned.
08-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Apparently there is no fix yet - what a shame .....