Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sticky Shutter button

My K-r is about 7 months old. Recently, the shutter release button has been sticking. Sometimes I can go days without a problem and other times it sticks every 5-6 shots. It does not affect the image or the next shot. What happens is the shutter clicks, but I get no instant review on the LCD screen [it's black]. To take the next shot I have to flick the shutter release button a bit and all resumes to normal.

Is this something I should deal with or does this warrant a repair? I'm concerned it might get worse. It's still under warranty.

07-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe the switch itself is going bad. The good news is it can be replaced easily, just re-solder a new one on. Send it in asap.
07-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the exact same issue with my k-x. One suggestion that was made to me was to "exercise" the button. With the camera off press the shutter button repeatly and firmly, maybe 20 times. It worked for mine at least for the last week or so. Likely the button is going. Mine is out of warranty so I'll deal with it. If you are in warranty I would send it in.
07-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I had a similar problem with my K-7. Randomly every once in a while it would decide to be "sticky" and it was very frustrating! I never could determine if it was because of humidity or what because after a few months the problem disappeared and never showed back up again (I ran it for at least 6 months after that before I sold it and never once had a problem).

So, although I can't solve your problem, I do recommend that you send it in if you have the time (I never did). It probably will go away if you just exercise it and keep using it, but of course, I can't guarantee that.

08-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Button started sticking today on my K-X,never happened before but now it sticks almost every time it is pressed.What are the procedures for sending it back in for repair.
Thanks,
Jake
08-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bjake Quote
Button started sticking today on my K-X,never happened before but now it sticks almost every time it is pressed.What are the procedures for sending it back in for repair.
Thanks,
Jake
Sorry to hear that, Jake. It's never fun to have to send your camera in for repair. At least it's under warranty still? You can get Pentax USA phone number off their website: pentaximaging.com Give them a call and they will tell you what to do (they will tell you to send it in to CRIS in Arizona).

Anyway, hope that helps!
08-16-2011, 06:31 AM   #7
Pentaxian

My K-r started doing this, but a quick spray with the contact cleaner fixed it fast.
The E-dial was fixed the same way 2 months ago, and hasn't missed a beat since.
08-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter

i used a sheet of regular bond paper and slipped it under the shutter button. work around the button gently. that worked for my kx.

YMMV

08-17-2011, 05:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My edial was also a bit wonky, but I turned it back and forth for a minute or so and it seems to be better. The shutter has only stuck once since I posted this, so I'm hoping it was just a speck of dust or something. If it continues, I'll get in it to repair before my warranty is up.
thanks for the tips...I'll give them a try.
08-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Panache Quote
My edial was also a bit wonky, but I turned it back and forth for a minute or so and it seems to be better. The shutter has only stuck once since I posted this, so I'm hoping it was just a speck of dust or something. If it continues, I'll get in it to repair before my warranty is up.
thanks for the tips...I'll give them a try.
If you have an air compressor, you could turn the pressure down a bit and try blowing some air around the shutter button. For whatever it's worth...