Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
which K-r Colour to choose ?

Hi

I have been following this forum for quite some time now but this is the first time I am posting here.

I have decided to buy the beautiful Pentax K-r but very confused as to what colour should I get, white or Black. I like both the colours but afraid white might turn off white or yellowish after a year or so. I tried both and to me Black looks smooth,white looks stylish but a little plasticity. Also,Prodigital online ebay store is currently out of white kit with no ETA but Black kit is available so am having a hard time telling myself to take time and decide than to buy black and regret later.

Plz guys help me out. I would appreciate if those who have been using White colour could share their opinions.

Cheers

07-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

G'day and welcome.
The build quality of the K-r is very good. Not sure about the white colour going off over time.
Of course, being of plastic build (to make them light) they will feel plasticy, but they're solid and built to last.

You may be lucky to find a K-r on this forum's marketplace to suit your needs.
07-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I wanted a red one, settled for a black one due to lower price and local availability. I'm still extremely happy with it. They all look a bit plasticky, but feel good in the hand. I don't think you need to worry about the paint job getting wrecked with age, or normal wear. All the reviews I read before buying indicated that they do a pretty good job on it.

My $0.02 would be to get whichever you like, but set the body colour as your lowest priority when buying any camera. Unless you're a pro who needs a silly colour to blend in and look non-pro, there will be no practical advantage to any of them. Build quality is identical for the red/black/white models. Some people think that the red and white ones are more attractive to thieves but I can't comment on the accuracy of that.

I suspect that once you have the camera, you'll be so busy shooting with it that you won't end up caring much if it's "ordinary" black, or something more exotic.
07-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I have a white K-x for more than a year already, and it got used more than my K20D and it's still white, shiny white! Well I might need to wipe it clean first to make it shiny but it's definitely still white and not yellow.

I know mine is K-x not K-r but I'm guessing K-r would be the same, if not better

07-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I wouldn't mind getting one in orange with black grip area.
07-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #6

I like the contrast of the black buttons on the white body now that I have the K-r. Makes it a bit easier to see buttons (I use reading glasses).

Before purchase, I had owned black but had never a red or white camera. So both were in play but the white had the better lens deal than the red so I got that one.

If I had all the color choices available at the Pentax Japan website, I might have had to buy two.
07-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Kr white with white 35AL is on right now...if i wasn't still "issue" challenged i'd pick the white.
07-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

White, blue, orange, green...anything but black would be my choice. Black is the standard DSLR color, and it's just boringly everywhere. Stand out, especially if you're using a Pentax. BTW, my wife has a white K-R and it's always a great conversation starter. Oh, no yellowing and pretty easy to keep clean too.

07-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #9

Original Poster
thanks everyone for your kind replies.I think I have made up my mind. I will go for White kit but unfortunately i'll have to wait for prodigital to replenish the stock as they are out of white k-r's.
07-28-2011, 05:01 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
mine is pink! i love it!
07-28-2011, 05:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Get a blue one. I love that color . Or metal chocolate. Gooood!
07-31-2011, 01:22 PM   #12

Get a black one because it is matte and is made of a better plastic it has texture, the white ones and other colors are plain plastic, and they feel of cheaper quality, i know from experience
08-02-2011, 08:30 AM   #13

I own the white k-r, love the camera all around. This might sound a bit ridiculuos but I would like some of the lenses to also match the available colors. I understand this might add to the cost of manufacturing but I think I would be willing to pay the difference. Afterall, didn't some of us paid extra to get that rare camera color? I would have thought by now some of the third party manufacturers of lens hoods, caps, straps, filters, and flashes would have produced some of these. Again, understanding the priority is how well any one of these items performs is key and color coordination is very low on the list.
08-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #14

I think you ought to have several of different colors. It's such bad taste to carry a camera that clashes with your shoes.
08-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

My White K-x is a user camera. Some of the scratches do show up more on the white body, and I feel that in general the body is easier to scratch compared to K100 and K10. I dont regret choosing white though as it looks great even with the tiny scratches on it