Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #1

Depth of Field etc

Hi Guys
Apologies in advance for these stupid questions.
I have just this day purchased the Kr this afternoon along with the DAL lens 18-55mm and 50-200mm.
Been playing about with it and have notice that their is virtually no depth of field on the shots taken witht the 50-300mm lens, is this the way it should be?
Is there a setting to let you know what depth of field you will get before shooting a photo?
The other issue is that I cannont find how to change the iso setting to include 100 iso
Finally, the camera is ste on 12meg picture quaility (which is what I want) however the photos taken have come out less than 6meg (5.8meg) why is this?
Appreciate any answers to the above.

All the best
Bobby

07-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All images will have depth of field; it can be shallow, moderate or deep. Either way, its there.

Are you saying that you can't achieve a shallow depth of field? Or the depth of field is too shallow and you want it deeper?

Megapixels and Megabytes are two different things.
07-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
All images will have depth of field; it can be shallow, moderate or deep. Either way, its there.

Are you saying that you can't achieve a shallow depth of field? Or the depth of field is too shallow and you want it deeper?

Megapixels and Megabytes are two different things.
Hi
Yes, I know that megabytes and megapixels are different, I was not aware that I had mentioned megabytes, apologies if I have confused matters.
The depth of field I was refering to was very shallow depth of field, and I was looking to get more of the picture in focus.

Thanks
07-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For ISO 100, use the custom function - Use Expanded ISO, set to 1 I believe.

Depth of Field is proportional to the focal length, focus distance, and aperture. If you set the aperture to a higher number (closing the aperture), the depth of field (that is what is in focus) gets larger at the cost of less light let in. When you focus closer, the depth of field gets smaller. When you use a longer focal length lens, the depth of field gets smaller.

You can use the hyperprogram (P) mode or Av mode to control the aperture value on your K-r.

And the 12 Meg setting refers to megapixels. On the 3 star quality setting, it takes the pictures in JPG to 5-6 MB files. If you shoot in RAW (and develop the PEF or DNG files), the pictures will be significantly larger (20 MB) and will allow you to change white balance with the Raw converter.

Have fun with your K-r!

07-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by icywindow Quote
For ISO 100, use the custom function - Use Expanded ISO, set to 1 I believe.

Depth of Field is proportional to the focal length, focus distance, and aperture. If you set the aperture to a higher number (closing the aperture), the depth of field (that is what is in focus) gets larger at the cost of less light let in. When you focus closer, the depth of field gets smaller. When you use a longer focal length lens, the depth of field gets smaller.

You can use the hyperprogram (P) mode or Av mode to control the aperture value on your K-r.

And the 12 Meg setting refers to megapixels. On the 3 star quality setting, it takes the pictures in JPG to 5-6 MB files. If you shoot in RAW (and develop the PEF or DNG files), the pictures will be significantly larger (20 MB).

Have fun with your K-r!
Cheers for that mate, head is nipping a bit at the moment reading through the manual
Bobby
07-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bros Quote
Is there a setting to let you know what depth of field you will get before shooting a photo?
DoF preview is available with the on/off collar - if you slide it past the "On" setting, it activates DoF preview which you can either see on the LCD, or via the viewfinder (depending on your menu settings - I believe the default is LCD.)

The other issue is that I cannont find how to change the iso setting to include 100 iso
You need to enable "extended ISO range" and disable highlight correction in the menu.

Finally, the camera is ste on 12meg picture quaility (which is what I want) however the photos taken have come out less than 6meg (5.8meg) why is this?
Because you are measuring two different things. Megapixel ("12meg") is the amount of data captured by the sensor, megabyte is the size of the file.
07-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Karl Stevens Quote
DoF preview is available with the on/off collar - if you slide it past the "On" setting, it activates DoF preview which you can either see on the LCD, or via the viewfinder (depending on your menu settings - I believe the default is LCD.)
This is not the case with the K-r. You have to set the Green Button for Optical Preview or Digital Preview. Page 137-140 of the manual.

07-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

someone else was having a similar problem here:
blurr the background

basically, it comes down to three things: shoot a bigger aperture (smaller f number), get closer, zoom in
07-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I guess this is as fine a place as any to make my first post...My camera was delivered today and I just put it together. I have downloaded the manual a week ago to begin my "studies". My first advice to anyone is "download the manual to your computer and use the computer screen instead of the too small printed manual". It is much easier to find things that way...I think it would be difficult for me to use that small book...Just put the book in your bag for field review...and there you have my 2 cents.
07-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is a DoF calculator that you can play around with to see just what the depth of field is with various focal lengths and distances from the subject across the various apertures. As others have said, closer and with larger apertures will certainly help.
07-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #11

how to disable highlight correction in the menu to get iso 100
07-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Time for my DOF speech again -- shorter, this time:

DOF is a complex product of photography, presentation, and perception.
PERCEPTION: What the viewer's eyes and brain are doing.
PRESENTATION: How an image is shown: size, placement, etc.
PHOTOGRAPHY: Everything you can do while shooting.

What you can do while shooting is: adjust shooting distance, focal length, and aperture.
FOR THICKER DOF: Move back, and/or use a shorter lens, and/or use a tighter aperture.
FOR THINNER DOF: Move closer, and/or use a longer lens, and/or use a wider aperture.

Other stuff is involved, but those are the basics.
Don't look it up on Wikipedia or your head will explode.
07-29-2011, 05:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
how to disable highlight correction in the menu to get iso 100
Press the info button to get from the screen with the shutter speed etc to the non-menu options.

Second row, fourth column (callout 11) is Highlight Correction.
07-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you

A big thanks to all for the replies, starting to get to grips with issues, excellent info and pics to help me.
I just hope that I can return the compliment sometime.

All the best
Bobby