Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Metz 58 or Pentax 540 if you have the money; Metz 50 or Sigma Super (not sure of model #) if you don't.

08-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Sigma 530 Super that I use with my K-r. It has to be one of the worst user interfaces ever designed. The Metz looks better and the Pentax looks the best in terms of user interface. Something to keep in mind.
08-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Again, depends on your preference in manual or automated flash photography.
Manual saves you a lot of money and can be just as versatile if you're comfortable with manual settings - there are innumerable options here under $50, but you will want one with a large range of manual settings, such as the Vivitar 285HV.

P-TTL flashes as above are significantly more versatile - the AF540FGZ is my suggestion, well within your budget and quite an advanced piece of kit. Otherwise you can get the Metz AF58 or Sigma EF610 Super or Promaster 7500 for a little less money but similar features.

Even better gains in your results will occur with faster lenses, though I see you're not interested in adding any lenses to your collection...
Bros, allow me to add my recommendation for the Pentax AF540-FGZ along with Ash, and the others who have suggested it.

I cannot say enough good things about this unit.

Here's an example of the results you can get at a wedding with this flash:
Pentax K100D With AF540FGZ Flash through Pentax 16-45 lens @ 45mm @ F5.6 @ 1/60 second using a Sto-Fen omni bounce unit. How it Works

This was taken at a bass guitar get-together. Same settings as above, except the lens was set @ 28mm.

Some reviews state that this unit forgets the user's settings once it has been turned off. This is true, however, if you do not make an exposure, after 5 minutes the unit goes to sleep to conserve battery power, but does not forget your settings. At the last wedding I attended, I did not turn the unit off for 4 hours. Whenever I wanted to make an exposure, a slight tap on the shutter button, and the flash woke up with my settings ready to go.

I honestly believe that if you buy this flash, you will use it much more than 12 times per year.

Good luck.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Bokeh; 08-20-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Duplicate words
08-20-2011, 11:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
The auto mode is very convenient, not as convenient as p-TTL, but you can use the flash with other camera brands and it does not become obsolete.

You can still use it later on even then you buy a fancy flash with more features.

...... the only ones that support p-TTL are 2 copies of Pentax 540. But I don't use them as often as I use other units.
I am also planning my flash, what is the difference between having Auto and the one with P-TTL? I was thinking auto means it has P-TTL.

Secondly, I was suggested by one person in the past to still acquire one with P-TTL as he was telling in times like wedding and ceremonies, it is faster to use in that mode so the camera can quickly release the light accordingly to get the proper exposure rather than having a full manual flash since I told him I was planning to get a Yongnuo manual flash for $60.

Your response on this can also be helpful for 'bros' as well.

08-22-2011, 06:12 AM   #20
Veteran Member

bumping it up
08-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
...what is the difference between having Auto and the one with P-TTL?
Please refer to these posts (or better yet, read the whole threads):

Post 1

Post 2

Post 3

Post 4

Post 5

Post 6

Some of flashes (Metz in particular) with auto-mode are capable of "smart" auto-mode: there is some communication between the flash and the camera. The flash gets the aperture and ISO settings from the camera. The camera (normally in P or Av mode) uses ambient light for metering unless when the flash is charged then it sets shutter speed between 1/30 and 1/180 depending on the lens's focal length. Practically, the only difference between "smart" auto-mode and p-TTL mode is that the "smart" auto-mode uses the flash's light sensor for metering, thus there is no pre-flash strobe.
09-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #22
Pentaxian

same dilemma here, I would like to try an external flash,

my purpose would be the following:

-try the strobist single light tingy (experience earn the P-TTL, then go Manual)
-better fill flash (though I really like to shoot at ambient)
-want to maximize my kit lenses (specially in low light environment)
-preferably a durable flash

on the other hand,
on k-r, any external flash would we cumbersome since k-r doesn't have any batt grip, ( I am pampered using a light set-up with my pancakes)

If I can get a Pentax 540 and a Metz 58v1 both pre-loved and the same condition, which is a better buy? (I heard the Metz has some issues re slave/wireless thing, Is that really a drawback?)

Thanks

Last edited by wed7; 09-29-2011 at 08:37 AM.
09-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #23
Forum Member

You have alot of options like many have said. I decided to go with a Pentax so all the modes will work, including hi-speed sync (not really sure when I would ever use that though). I bought a Pentax AF 360FGZ lightly used from ebay for 150$ out the door. It does lack a swivel head, but for what I want it should work well (party shots with friends now and again). So you may do alright shopping for a good used one to save money.