Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2011, 01:00 AM   #1

Recommend a flashgun the K-r

Okay, starting to get to grips with my new toy, thanks for the previous help...the camera is delight to use so far, right next question, going to be doing my sons wedding photos next year so I will be looking for a flashgun for the K-r what should I go for (reasonably priced if possible) are the Pentax flashguns good?
Thanks

07-30-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Start with the user reviews for Flash Equipment. You will find it in Accessories (menu bar at top of this page).
07-30-2011, 01:35 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bluespearbone Quote
Start with the user reviews for Flash Equipment. You will find it in Accessories (menu bar at top of this page).
Thanks for that mate, I will check it out right now
08-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bros Quote
Thanks for that mate, I will check it out right now
C'mon guys anyone else with recommendations, I am not going to go ape sh*t if it a recommendation goes wrong, promise I will not sue you......
UK suppliers would be good for me

Ta

08-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can't go past the Pentax range - whether fixed (AF200), tilt only (AF360) or tilt & swivel (AF540). They're all very compatible with Pentax dSLRs. However cheaper and just as capable flashes exist in the Metz, Sigma and Promaster brands.

Check out here also: Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison - PentaxForums.com
08-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

C'mon guys anyone else with recommendations,...
Asking "what flash should I buy?" does not get many meaningful answers.

You'll get better answers if you:

- give a list of your current equipment.
- tell us what you budget is. A "good" flash unit can cost anywhere from $40 to $400 ("pro" stuff can cost much more). "Reasonably priced" is very relative.
- tell us how much you know about flash, and how much automation you want.
- tell us what you plan to use the flash for (besides the wedding that is).
08-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Asking "what flash should I buy?" does not get many meaningful answers.

You'll get better answers if you:

- give a list of your current equipment.
- tell us what you budget is. A "good" flash unit can cost anywhere from $40 to $400 ("pro" stuff can cost much more). "Reasonably priced" is very relative.
- tell us how much you know about flash, and how much automation you want.
- tell us what you plan to use the flash for (besides the wedding that is).
Fair comment soldbear
Ok, some details;
Budget 250GBP
Flashgun use mainly weddings, parties, family get togethers, fill in flash for out door portraits, probably will use approx 12 times a year max
Equipment I have is Camera, Pentax K-r, lens 18-55mm + 80-200mm just bought last week
Experience; new to digital SLR but have years of experience using 35mm film (Olympus)
I have around 20 weddings or so, mostly friends
I am not a great fan of flash photography but needs must as I have no intention of buying a fast lens nor shooting photos at a high ISO level, far to much quaility lost as far sd I am concerned, hope this explains the situation a bit better

08-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Again, depends on your preference in manual or automated flash photography.
Manual saves you a lot of money and can be just as versatile if you're comfortable with manual settings - there are innumerable options here under $50, but you will want one with a large range of manual settings, such as the Vivitar 285HV.

P-TTL flashes as above are significantly more versatile - the AF540FGZ is my suggestion, well within your budget and quite an advanced piece of kit. Otherwise you can get the Metz AF58 or Sigma EF610 Super or Promaster 7500 for a little less money but similar features.

Even better gains in your results will occur with faster lenses, though I see you're not interested in adding any lenses to your collection...
08-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

bros, why are you avoiding a fast(er) lens? Primes are designed for just the kind of thing you want to do, and will almost always allow for better image quality than zoom lenses. Is it cost? (in which case look for a nice f/1.8 or even f/2 instead of f/1.2 or 1.4).

The kit lenses are great for hacking around casually, but for weddings and such, I think I'd want something a bit higher quality.
08-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #10

Original Poster
Fast Lens

Yes, I would say cost is an issue however, I probably still have a 35mm head on re-lens/flashguns and I suppose the cost of a flashgun could go towards a quality lens

Okay, if I was to buy a fast lens it would need coverage for:
Group photos 28mm wide lens in 35mm film through to 50mm minimum. 35mm film

Next question: if I am not going to use a flash what ISO/Aperture can I hope to achieve with such a lens?

What about poor lighting conditions as in very cloudy dark wet weather as we get a lot of in Scotland?

Finally: What is the cost of lens that would suit my needs?

Thanks
08-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
bros, why are you avoiding a fast(er) lens? Primes are designed for just the kind of thing you want to do, and will almost always allow for better image quality than zoom lenses. Is it cost? (in which case look for a nice f/1.8 or even f/2 instead of f/1.2 or 1.4).

The kit lenses are great for hacking around casually, but for weddings and such, I think I'd want something a bit higher quality.
Thanks for that
Would I still need to supplement the lens with a flashgun??
08-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for that
Would I still need to supplement the lens with a flashgun??
IMHO, yes, you will need a flash. Not all the time, but sometimes.
08-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Again, depends on your preference in manual or automated flash photography.
Manual saves you a lot of money and can be just as versatile if you're comfortable with manual settings - there are innumerable options here under $50, but you will want one with a large range of manual settings, such as the Vivitar 285HV.

P-TTL flashes as above are significantly more versatile - the AF540FGZ is my suggestion, well within your budget and quite an advanced piece of kit. Otherwise you can get the Metz AF58 or Sigma EF610 Super or Promaster 7500 for a little less money but similar features.

Even better gains in your results will occur with faster lenses, though I see you're not interested in adding any lenses to your collection...
Careful with the Promaster - It will not work properly with the K-R until it has been flashed with the new firmware.
08-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Rule #1: Do NOT buy any flash that does not have auto (using its own light sensor) mode.

Rule #2: Do NOT buy any flash that does not have auto (using its own light sensor) mode.

Rule #3: Do NOT buy any flash that does not have auto (using its own light sensor) mode.

I recommend a used flash with at least 3 settings in auto mode and at least 3 power settings in manual mode, with head that can tilt and swivel. You can find one about US $50 (I don't know the price on your side of the pond): Sunpak 30DX, 36DX, 444, 433, Vivitar 285HV (no swivel head), 3700, 5200, 5600.

If you are willing to spend a bit more, about $100, get any of Nikon SB-24/25/26/28/28DX, Metz MZ40-1i, MZ40-2, MZ40-3i or (if you are really lucky), MZ54-3, MZ54-4, MZ54-4i.

The auto mode is very convenient, not as convenient as p-TTL, but you can use the flash with other camera brands and it does not become obsolete.

You can still use it later on even then you buy a fancy flash with more features.

If you want to get it over with, buy a copy of the Pentax AF540FGZ.

Among the flashes I have (see last line in signature below), the only ones that support p-TTL are 2 copies of Pentax 540. But I don't use them as often as I use other units.

Last edited by SOldBear; 08-03-2011 at 06:49 PM.
08-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info guys, a fair bit of "food for thought"
Appreciate all the help given

Bobby