Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2011, 01:55 AM   #1

Kr, manual lens and radio trigger flash - help!

I have my kr set up with a manual lens and a flashgun with a radio trigger. As my lens is manual, I have the camera set to manual, but cannot get the flash to fire. However, If I turn the mode dial to Av priority, the flash does fire but I have lost control of the shutter speed and overexpose. For some reason I cannot use shutter priority with this setup as turning the mode dial to any setting, only selects either manual or Av. I cannot raise the pop up flash as the hotshoe mounted radio trigger is in the way. Does anyone know how I can get around these problems?

07-30-2011, 02:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
shoot in manual mode. the shutter speed has to be 1/180 or slower for the flash to trigger
07-30-2011, 03:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

also, Av mode is only the Av for the wide open aperture. This is because there are no little electric contacts telling the camera what aperture it is set to. As such, the camera cannot control the aperture, hence the lack of P, Tv and Sv mode, along with all the auto modes. As for the popup flash, there really isnt anything you can do about that. if your flash has an optical slave, use that and forgo the transmitter if you really need the popup in addition to the off camera light
07-30-2011, 06:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have some cheap radio triggers from ebay and they will not sync at 180. Try 125 with camera in manual mode. It seems that there is some delay in the triggers, so 180 is too fast.
If you need two flashes, get another receiver like the first one and another flash.

07-31-2011, 03:13 AM   #5

Original Poster
At 1/180 shutter speed I am overexposing (f1.7) the shot. I can move the exposure compensation 3 stops which helps, however I would prefer to use a faster shutter speed. I guess the only other option is to try and reduce the light levels from the flash and environment! Thanks for the advice so far.
07-31-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by oakey1979 Quote
At 1/180 shutter speed I am overexposing (f1.7) the shot. I can move the exposure compensation 3 stops which helps, however I would prefer to use a faster shutter speed. I guess the only other option is to try and reduce the light levels from the flash and environment! Thanks for the advice so far.
Adjusting the shutter speed (within the sync limits) will have no effect on the exposure from the flash, just on the ambient (in case you didn't already realize this).

An ND filter on the camera seems like the only choice for you if you can't turn down the ambient light any more (this reduces exposure from the flash as well of course). There are other options to adjust the flashes power relative to the ambient light in case you need to after you get the ambient where you want it- adjusting flash distance to the subject or adding ND gels to it or shooting through more diffusion material (like white paper) or adjusting it's power level of course.
07-31-2011, 12:56 PM   #7

Maybe start over from a clean slate:

Set:

ISO 100
F4
1/125
Flash at 1/2 power

Take a shot, and then adjust aperture and/or flash power to fine-tune the exposure.