Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

No Pentax support and Lens question

Hi!
I live in Brazil, and im probably going to buy my Pentax K-r this month.
Im gonna buy outside, because here i cant find Pentax cameras. Thats what is making me afraid.
Do you guys think its a good deal to buy it? Theres no Pentax stores here, and no places that sell Pentax cameras, mostly only Nikon and Canon, so im worried that if something happens to the camera im gonna be veeery screwed!
Also, if i really go ahead and buy the Pentax, i will buy also an used Chinon 50mm F/1.7 lens. Is it a good deal? It really fits the K-r, right?
Thanks!!

08-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Also, if i really go ahead and buy the Pentax, i will buy also an used Chinon 50mm F/1.7 lens. Is it a good deal? It really fits the K-r, right?
I can't help you about service in Brazil, but here's what I think I know about Chinon lenses:

I have a Chinon-made 55mm f/1.7 lens (labeled Argus) that is very very good. It has an M42 screwmount. I use it on my Pentax dSLR (a K20D) with a cheap M42-PK adapter. Another fine Chinon-made lens is a 300/5.6 (labeled Alpa), also in M42. I have other good Chinon lenses (labeled Chinon) in other mounts: a 45/2.8 in PK (Pentax bayonet mount, fits right onto my K20D); a 28/2.8 in Nikon mount, which I have adapted to PK. And I had two that I sold, a 135/2.8 and an 80-205/4.5, both in PK mount.

Chinon was a third-party camera- and lens-maker. Chinon lenses are available in various mounts -- probably also for Canon FD, Minolta, Petri, Konica, and others. If a lens is labeled Chinon, that tells you nothing except that is is probably a decent lens. You need to know what camera the lens was made for. And NONE of my Chinons have lettering on them that says that!

So before you buy a Chinon lens, find out what its mount is. Good luck!
08-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's a K MOUNT, that acording to my quick search is compatible with the K-r. Is this right?
08-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's a K MOUNT, that acording to my quick search is compatible with the K-r. Is this right?
That should be good, yes! The only other mount I know with a K in its name is K/AR for Konica. Usually if I see just K, it's Pentax. This will be a manual-focus manual-aperture lens. Be sure to read https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

Cheers!

08-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Theres no Pentax stores here, and no places that sell Pentax cameras, mostly only Nikon and Canon, so im worried that if something happens to the camera im gonna be veeery screwed!
Umm...what's driving you into wanting a Pentax? Is there something exclusive to Pentax that you need? If not I would buy C or N if I were in your shoes.
08-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For what it is worth it is possible to get a 12 month Pentax International warranty when buying from USA (I had to request it direct from Pentax). I bought from B&H. I would confirm this is still available first though.
But obviously the International Warranty is only any good if you have a support centre to send the camera to. If Brazil has no Pentax Support outlet then would be pretty risky I think.
NZ does - its just really expensive to buy Pentax here.
08-04-2011, 06:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually the thing is : ive looked into the internet and the Pentax K-r is the best cost-benefit camera. I was gonna (or maybe im stil going to) buy the Double Kit Lenses and maybe some used lenses on ebay. Its a shame that pentax doesnt work here !

08-04-2011, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #8

Hi Gabriel
I am in the same situation, so here is what i recomend you.
-Buy your camera from b&H, they offer international shipping, also if the camera present some problem out of the box, you can send it back to them for a refund o replacement
-This camera is not really complex, so if sometime the camera fails, you can send it to any camera repair center

Ahh, personally i think that you should buy the camera only with the kit lens then if you think the camera deserve some investment, buy some lens, even here i saw great deals in the marketplace forum
08-05-2011, 08:55 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Doesn't BH have a Brazil store/site?
08-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nops, no brazilian store :/.
It does have a Brazilian Website, but is not really useful. It's just the same site, but translated to portuguese LOL
I really dont know what to do.