Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2011, 03:12 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-r Kit - New

After doing research on the internet, and primarily here, I have put together a kit to replace my film Z20:

Pentax K-r Black Kit 18-55mm

Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC

Sigma 50mm f2.8 EX DG Macro

Sigma EF 610 DG Super

Manfrotto Photo kit with 804RC2 Head, 055XPROB Tripod

SanDisk Secure Digital Ultra II 8GB

Lowepro Slingshot 300AW

That is now about 6k (South African Rand) over my targetted budget, but I could make a plan to cover that. Have modified the list based on comments here and further research. Went for the Super, as I want the auto-mode that the ST apparently doesn't have.

I am aware of the K-r FF issue thanks to this forum, but rarely shoot under tungsten, if even, so that shouldn't be a problem, and don't mind MF if necessary. Would be a bit annoying if it occurred during the typical shots I take (outdoor/nature/macro), but again I can manage.

Regarding the flash, again not critical to what I do, but always a nice to have. Nice to have fill-flash for certain shots outdoors, but if the onboard flash can cover this, then maybe get rid of the dedicated unit, and opt for a better macro lens?. Also, from what I've seen, the K-r doesn't do too badly at high ISO settings, so maybe another reason to not get the flash just yet?. Maybe wait and get a Pentax flash?.

Had a funny experience with my Z20 during the last 9 rolls of film I shot with it, was visiting a crocodile farm here in SA, and the film ran out. Got everyone's attention when the camera started winding it back, think the people didn't even know film existed anymore!.

The K-5 is not within my reach as yet, but do planning on upgrading to a midrange DSLR at a later stage. A longer zoom is also on my wishlist!.

B

Last edited by SirBismuth; 08-05-2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Updated List Again!
08-04-2011, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I dont think you need the extreme III Sandisk, just Ultra or Ultra II is enough. CMIIW though.

If that Sigma flash has tilt and swivel, then you're probably covered for the most part.

Lens selection is very good
08-04-2011, 06:49 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
What lenses do you have with your Z20? Do you need replacements at first? I'd use the ones I already have. And the tripod... Do you need a new one?
08-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You would save a bit of money getting the two lens kit, which has the 55-300mm DA L with it. It's a lighter build than the DA, but the optics are supposed to be identical. There seems to be about a $200 difference between the two lenses, you'll have to decide if a metal mount is worth that much more.

08-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

Tripod I currently have is missing it's shoe (my fault, lost it somewhere, plus it's old and didn't track nearly as smoothly as the new ones, in my experience). Think it would be easier just to get a new tripod. I have been using a friend's entry-level tripod, but want to get something fairly decent.

The flash does indeed have tilt & swivel, wasn't interested in a flash otherwise. I like Pentax, but the Sigma will have to do for a start. Can even tilt down about 7 degrees.

Will check out the Ultra or Ultra II SD cards, I just don't want to end up with something that takes too long to write, was why I chose the Extreme III.

I have pretty much the same range of lenses on the Z20, a Pentax 100-300 SMC, another Pentax 55-200, and a Sigma 28-80 Macro Zoom (am recalling this from memory, so not sure on the exact range of the second Pentax lens and the Sigma, but it has macro functionality, the main reason I got it. All lenses have UV filters, and I also have CPL for all of them as well as rubber lens hoods, plus a 2x teleconvertor (not sure on the make). Am at work atm, will confirm exact details lenses when I get home tomorrow. Nothing is wrong with these lenses, I could use them for now, but am looking for a decent macro, hence my choice above. Thought about exactly what kenez said, but do like shiney new things...

Also, I currently have a wired remote shutter release for the Z20, what are the options for the K-r. Used the shutter release extensively for night and low-light photography, think I will need to get one for the K-r as well, suggestions?. Not under tungsten, afaik, but like I said, even the Z20 struggled to focus in certain night/low-lowlight conditions and I had to go MF to get a decent result.

B
08-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
You would save a bit of money getting the two lens kit, which has the 55-300mm DA L with it. It's a lighter build than the DA, but the optics are supposed to be identical. There seems to be about a $200 difference between the two lenses, you'll have to decide if a metal mount is worth that much more.

Only saw this after posting my reply, which still has to be approved by the mods (as I think this one will be as well). In SA only the 50-200mm kit sems to be available, not the 55-300, otherwise I probably would have gone for it!

B
08-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #7

Pentax K-r (black)

I bought mine today and loving every bit of it. Its an amazing machine being offered at an amazing price. Life is good
08-04-2011, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SirBismuth Quote
Thanks for the replies.

... I have pretty much the same range of lenses on the Z20, a Pentax 100-300 SMC, another Pentax 55-200, and a Sigma 28-80 Macro Zoom (am recalling this from memory, so not sure on the exact range of the second Pentax lens and the Sigma, but it has macro functionality, the main reason I got it. ...

B
Are these FA lens..? If so, it sound like you have all the lens you need to get started with a K-r. If not, the DA55-300 is a great option, so 55-200 might become expensive kit paperweight if you need the reach.

Something else to consider might be the UWA range. I have a Sigma 10-20, and this is fantastic for many applications, and at the 18-20mm range I find it much better that the DA18-55. Kit is fairly good from about 24mm upwards, but I find it poor at the 18mm end.

08-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #9

Here is the latest K-r review: Pentax K-r Review - PentaxForums.com

From it you can check, that it has an IR remote, but it only has front sensor, that means, that it is a little odd to use it on a tripod. The K20D has on the back too, so it is easy to operate.

Shiny new lens There are many people here, who like to have old lenses, even who thinks, the older the better. This isn't true, but you have a bunch of reviews, look up your lenses, and decide, whether you are better off with the older ones, or need the new lenses...
08-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You can make a small reflector with some aluminum foil, or a piece of an aluminum pie plate, curved, to reflect the remote's signal to the sensor from behind the camera. Cheap and easy workaround.
08-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #11

Where would you attach this fine reflector?

Probably in a room from a distance it is no problem, the walls reflect the IR light. Only on location isn't is comfortable the K-r solution..
08-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You just clip it to your tripod so that it reflects towards the sensor. There have been several mentions of this in other threads.
08-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
Are these FA lens..? If so, it sound like you have all the lens you need to get started with a K-r. If not, the DA55-300 is a great option, so 55-200 might become expensive kit paperweight if you need the reach.

Something else to consider might be the UWA range. I have a Sigma 10-20, and this is fantastic for many applications, and at the 18-20mm range I find it much better that the DA18-55. Kit is fairly good from about 24mm upwards, but I find it poor at the 18mm end.
Heh, I really am not sure, will check all that when I get home. I got the two Pentax lenses with the Z20 when I bought it in 2006 for a photography course. I added on the other stuff later. Will also consider the 10-20 Sigma or like, now or later.

QuoteOriginally posted by kenez Quote
Here is the latest K-r review: Pentax K-r Review - PentaxForums.com

From it you can check, that it has an IR remote, but it only has front sensor, that means, that it is a little odd to use it on a tripod. The K20D has on the back too, so it is easy to operate.

Shiny new lens There are many people here, who like to have old lenses, even who thinks, the older the better. This isn't true, but you have a bunch of reviews, look up your lenses, and decide, whether you are better off with the older ones, or need the new lenses...
Have already read the review and know about the IR remote. The front sensor is indeed a bit odd, will have to attach some sort of reflector setup, as Philoslothical mentioned.

Will do some research on the lenses and decide, but I really am liking that macro I mentioned for a start. Like I already said, nothing really wrong with my old ones. I am not going to keep them just because they are old, but will do so if they can serve my purpose as well as new lenses.

Think I will need to add on an extra battery/AA adaptor, as I can already tell I am going to use it quite extensively once I have the K-r! And can see instant resuslts of bracketing, etc., not have to wait for developing etc.

B
08-04-2011, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Definitely get a second battery, but know that the lithium one that comes with it is really, really good. I've only run low a couple times on any given day, and only when using the flash extensively (Live View will drain it pretty quick too, but I rarely use it).
08-05-2011, 05:13 AM   #15

Original Poster
Finally had a chance to see what lenses I already have, they are as follows:

Pentax FA SMC 4.5-5.6 100-300mm

Pentax-F SMC 4.7-5.6 80-200mm

Sigma Aspherical 3.5-5.6 28-80mm MACRO

Imado 2x Auto Teleconvertor

I have UV and CPL Filters for all three lenses, as well as hoods, as mentioned previously.

So, now the thing is, could I get away with theses lenses for now, or should I buy new ones as listed? (Am going to edit my first post as list has changed a bit).

B

Last edited by SirBismuth; 08-05-2011 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Sigma Lens Added Detail