Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Ability to change settings quickly on k-r?

K-r owners, can you change the camera settings sufficiently fast to satisfy your wants? By early 2012 I expect to upgrade bodies and I will pay "some" premium for the ability to change settings relatively quickly. Do I buy the K-5, or is the k-r "good enough"? What has been your experience with the k-r? Do you have any comparisons to K-5?

Thanks.

Glenn

08-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Which DSLR do you have ?

Because i have the K-x (which is really close to the K-r) and i know how to change setting fast because i'm use to it, and i know the button combinaison to get what i want (like on a mobile phone, in fact). But i really love to have a second wheel like on the K5, because it would be even quicker,easier, and more confortable.

But like all the time people ask, it depends on what you wanna do with it, if you feel good with both bodies (or not ?), etc ...
08-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the K-7 and K-5, you can set some user mode (1 in K-7, 3 in K-5) allowing you to swap very, very rapidly between settings.

The K-x and K-r lack the User mode, and you need to toggle between the menus.

To change the drive mode, the fastest method is :
Quick Tip - Set Drive Mode in a Snap - Photographic Articles - PentaxForums.com.

Hope that the comment may help.
08-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Changing settings quickly is not too bad with the K-r, sure it's not as quick for some things as a K5/7 but you adapt and a lot of the time it's no difference.

The bigger problem with controls is not having certain settings, but it's only a problem for some. The real gotcha's are: no TAv mode, no timer+bracket drive mode, no remote+bracket drive mode, no grip, no ability to fine tune AF per lens, no cable release, no WR.

Last edited by twitch; 08-07-2011 at 03:37 PM.
08-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've never handled any of Pentax's K-alphabet cameras, but it must be said about the K-7 (and presumably the K-5 as well), that you could probably throw one at a wall to no ill effect, too. Not sure how the smaller entry level cameras stack up in this regard.

twitch's list of drawbacks is compelling. As a K-7 user, the high ISO performance of my sensor makes TAv a bit of a gamble, but if I owned a K-5 I'm pretty sure I would do 95% of my shooting in that mode, which as stated, is not available to the K-r. I've also got AF microadjustments dialed in for all four of my AF lenses, and I can't imagine that ability being taken away from me.

It really depends on your budget and needs though, I would say.
08-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks kindly. My only DSLR is a k100d Super, now considered ancient - 4 or 5 year old technology. So a big part of the problem is that I've nothing to compare that to. I just know that I routinely fumble around with changing settings. Yes, budget things are always a priority - the thought being that if the k-r provides sufficient quickness, I can always use the approximately $600-$700 difference between k-r and K-5 for lens upgrades. Twitch, that list IS a good one to think about. Thanks. Glenn
08-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The best thing you could do is go to a brick and mortar shop and play with each of them for awhile. Chances are you'll either like one, or not, but either way you'll have a better idea what to expect.

08-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #8

Most of the setting in K-r are 3-4 steps. Like Setting it from Auto 5 point AF to Selectable AF point is 3 step process (Menu->AFPoints->Select your Option->Ok)

Its basically what you get for the money that you have spent. Price difference between K-r and K-5 is almost $500 and you get worth $500 features too.

In quick time, I have learned to switch between Modes and change setting without consuming much time.

P.S: I think it would be rude to compare K-r with K-5 , they belong to different leagues
08-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swapnil Quote
P.S: I think it would be rude to compare K-r with K-5 , they belong to different leagues
Thanks, Swapnil. I agree entirely. I think I'm doing two comparisons, without actually having any personal data to really perform the comparisons:

1. Compare k-r to my wants/needs - is it "good enough"?
2. Compare the DIFFERENCE between k-r and K-5 to a monetary value - is the delta worth $500?

I wouldn't want to be rude to either k-r or k-5 - I favor Pentax quite a bit.

Thanks for the helpful information.

Glenn
08-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What settings do you want to change?

The K-5 puts many things at hand, but others are still accessed only by menu with some options to customize buttons.

The K-5 is probably worth the delta in price vs the K-r, primarily looking at the body construction (wr) and usability via the outboard controls.

The sensor and AF performance are close.

Depends what is important to you.
08-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Swapnil Quote
Most of the setting in K-r are 3-4 steps. Like Setting it from Auto 5 point AF to Selectable AF point is 3 step process (Menu->AFPoints->Select your Option->Ok)
Or even quicker with [info] and [e-dial]