Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #1

K-r FF irked..

Well, i got my K-r a week ago and on friday had a chance to test it under tungsten lighting... at a wedding rehearsal... which i was the main/only photographer for (shot for my brother- last minute)... a few test shots that night revealed FF issues... was not all that impressed... did the firmware upgrade and it 'helped' albeit marginally... i managed to find a local place to rent me a K-7 ($90 for the day) along with a 50-135, 16-50 and 12-24... and that's the only thing that saved me...

here's the indicator for my FF, focus point being on the green plant at the front... live view fixes the FF but the focus isn't fast enough... used the old K100D (still LOVE it) and the K7 and the new $600 K-r sat on the shelf... pity and i hope Pentax is able to fix it!!

Needless to say tho... totally fell in love with the K-7... dials, interface and handling was all so smooth and nice- and a quite shutter as well!!! A return to Pentax Canada for the K-r and a used K-7 are in my near future

Attached Images

08-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Your pic has the EXIF stripped, can you provide any info on settings used? The front focus seems extreme, I'm wondering if your K-r needs to be calibrated.
08-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by wannabefishing Quote
...and the new $600 K-r sat on the shelf... pity and i hope Pentax is able to fix it!! ...
A return to Pentax Canada for the K-r ...
Sent mine in last week for same issues;
artificial light front-focus plus a non-working AF assist-beam .

So now your K-r will be sitting next to mine on Pentax Canada's shelf, waiting/hoping for a fix!

Michel
08-08-2011, 04:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I complained lots when I had a k-r regarding front focus, but that's just severe, I think theres something else wrong with your camera rather than just the "normal" front focus problems. Mined used to front focus but not by that much.

08-08-2011, 06:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
Seems way extreme, after i got home and reviewed the pics was panicked, upgraded firmware to 1.11- changed to tungsten and pulled the 'calibration tool' back to -10 and that made no difference... took a pic of the invitation focusing on the brides name and it was the grooms that was in focus a full inch below the brids name...

not sure how/to include the exif or why it wasn't included... but here it is... from fastone imageviewer... this was taken with the Fa-50 which is perfect on my K100

Pentax K-r
1/15
Aperture Priority
0 EV
F 2.8
iso 800
Flash did not fire
focal- 50mm
Metering- spot

email or a phonecall to pantax canada sometime today and i'm sure i'll be without the NEW under 500 clicks K-r...
08-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1/15 hand held is pretty ambitious. Could easily have been ISO 3200 & 1/60. Were you using Spot AF? Auto 11 may have been confused by the Pews which are in focus. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't bank on Pentax Canada to find anything wrong soley on this on pic.
08-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #7

As said my Matt, 1/15 is very agressive for a handheld shot. My friends shot my birthday pics in tungsten CFL lighting with 18-55mm Kit lens and almost all pictures were in focus (except for motion blur). I would recommend you to take Focusing test before sending it for a repair.

Here is a link to the blog: PENTAX DSLRs: AF adjustment test chart to help with the Pentax K20D Custom Setting No.35
08-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I doubt motion blurr would be the reason here... why? Well, if this was the case everything would have been blurry. Its quite clear that the row seats are in focus rather than the plants. The only thing I could see that could have gone wrong was if he was using auto11, it selected the seats to focus on and he didnt notice this when he fired the shutter.

08-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Actually, if its motion of the camera, the objects further away have the greater apparent shift relative to the sensor. With a subjects > 50 ft away a very small shift of camera can have a significant effect on details (like flowers), and next to no effect on hard lines like a Pew only a few feet away. Its actually the principle put into effect while "panning"

notice how the foreground rail is most in focus with the above sample image.
08-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #10

Original Poster
but with panning you're still following the direction of the object, keeping the focus point in focus... hopefully moving the camera at the same speed as the object... of course the pews weren't moving, so no object to pan with...

and as mentioned in post 5, i did a focus 'test' using the invitation and it was off by a full inch... here's another pic from the same night... simple raised hand, focus on the woman... 1st and 2nd pew is OOF, 3rd, 4th and 5th in focus (5th is trailing off focus) and 6th and 7th OOF as well... this was all before the 1.11 firmware... will test and post the pics with the new firmware...

Live View is spot on everytime...

only difference in the exif:

ISO 1600
1/50
Attached Images

08-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #11

Original Poster
oh and Matt... Port Dalhousie carousel?
08-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Correct: a few more here and here

Auto W/B?

Auto 11 AF?

In my experience with the K-r, it loves vertical lines... even in daylight.

Attached is a deep crop of a photo I took of a kid in front of a mini putt in broad daylight in Florida. Same camera, same lens as what you are using.

This is not a FF / BF issue, its understanding that Auto AF 11 pics the focus point, if you use Spot AF and recompose, YOU choose the focus point.

Note the EXIF: Terrible settings for a 100F day in sunny Florida - I've learned a lot since then.

Last edited by mattt; 01-07-2016 at 05:34 PM.
08-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #13

Original Poster
Matt- WB tungsten and spot focus- always choose my focus point.

will test some more with various lenses... see if it's an issue with the FA50/K-r combo itself...