Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Very excited new K-r owner!!

My pretty PINK K-r has just landed and I have unpacked it.

So...to all of you experienced people out there. What now?

Obviously charge the battery and put the strap on *check*, take a photo of the incoming camera with the outgoing camera *check* and unpack all of the new goodies *check*.

First big question is that there is no software in the box...is there supposed to be? Do I need to begin by downloading or installing anything?

I am somewhat daunted by the doorstop manual that came with it...not light bedtime reading by any stretch of the imagination!

I guess it's just trial and error from here!

Lisa

08-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome & congrats on new kit

There should be a software CD in the box ('Pentax digital camera utility').
08-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
Darn it. I had a feeling I was going to hear that. Ok, so no software...now what? Can I use it when the battery charges or not?

Lisa
08-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The batteries that came with my K-X were alkaline non rechargeable.To use AA rechargeable you must change the settings from the menu,instructions will be in the manual.It doesn't come with an SD card so buy you a good new one.
Jake

08-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bjake Quote
The batteries that came with my K-X were alkaline non rechargeable.To use AA rechargeable you must change the settings from the menu,instructions will be in the manual.It doesn't come with an SD card so buy you a good new one.
Jake
I've got a good new 8GB SD card ready to go in for formatting. Just waiting for the Lithium battery that came with it to charge fully.

I've purchased a second D-LI109 lithium battery and a battery holder for the AA batteries and should hopefully receive them soon.

Can't wait for it to finish charging so I can have a play!

I just got off the phone from the seller and they are posting the CD to me via Express so I should have it in a day or so.

Lisa
08-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You will need the software if your are shooting in a format called ' RAW ', otherwise for now you can just shoot in the more common JPEG format and read/copy directly from your SD card. Chase your supplier for the CD - you will likely need it eventually.

To use AA (rechargable) batteries you will need an AA battery carriage - around $15 dollars on ebay.

Edit: Maybe i should have refreshed the thread before posting

Last edited by bluespearbone; 08-07-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Lisa provided an update will i was writing the message.
08-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I for one have preferred using other software anyway. A free combination that has worked for me has been FastStone, Gimp and UFRaw. The two latter are needed for heavier duty editing and raw processing so FastStone alone might be sufficient to get started with (see FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...). Another popular, free alternative might be Picasa.

I assumed the k-r had a separate charger so using it while charging the battery would not work (?).
08-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
I for one have preferred using other software anyway. A free combination that has worked for me has been FastStone, Gimp and UFRaw. The two latter are needed for heavier duty editing and raw processing so FastStone alone might be sufficient to get started with (see FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...). Another popular, free alternative might be Picasa.

I assumed the k-r had a separate charger so using it while charging the battery would not work (?).
It does have a separate charger. I'm charging the battery as I type. But I'm hoping to get out tomorrow - weather pending, to start having a bit of a play.

I've already got Corel Paint Shop Photo Pro X3 which I have used extensively with my photos in the past (my "outgoing" camera is an Olympus SP-600UZ - pretty darned good camera for a point and shoot!!) so if there is an alternative for RAW shots then I may not even need the software after all.
That said though, I'd rather have it....after all, I've paid for it!

Lisa

08-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Read the first few chapters of the manual, at least, before you do too much. It's a good thing to do while waiting for the battery to charge.

The K-r was my first DSLR, and my P&S prior to it was... primitive... to say the least. I stuck the K-r in green mode for the first few days and just derped around trying everything I could think of. Supplemented by reading a fair bit online, this let me get used to it comfortably. I then turned the ISO to a fixed 200 and switched to Av mode, where I generally live these days (but I find I'm switching to M more and more). The low ISO forced me to practice the two other limiting factors on exposure, aperture and shutter speed.

I have no idea if I'm doing it right, but my pics keep improving, so I'm happy with the way it's going.
08-07-2011, 10:59 PM   #10

Original Poster
My P&S has been a really good learning curve for me. It is a really versatile camera (not so little) and I have done a bit of work with it beyond the Auto settings but I wanted more control over my photos hence the decision to upgrade. That was emphasised on the weekend when I was attempting to take photos at a local rugby match and my poor little camera kept focussing on the raindrops! I did get a few good shots between rain squalls though!

I confess that I downloaded the manual from the Pentax site the day I placed the order for the camera and have been avidly reading it. Yep, I'm a tragic!

The weather is disgusting today but if it is even marginally better tomorrow, I'm going on a ramble!

Lisa
08-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #11
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats for the new camera.

Good on you to read the Instructions manual. There are many useful infos there.

PDCU is not a bad software. Once you install it, update it to version 4.33 from the Pentax website (Support/download). (Do it after the CD software installation.) The IQ of the outputs from PDCU is regarded as excellent, even if the software is not the most user-friendly.

And enjoy your camera once the batttery is charged....
08-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thank you all! I really appreciate you commenting in the thread!

I've been waiting for this day for nearly 12 months. I knew what I wanted and just had to wait until I had saved enough of my pennies to buy it!

So looking forward to trying to learn how to use it!

Lisa
08-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #13

Original Poster
Yay! Just checked Paint Shop and it supports RAW!

Lisa
08-08-2011, 01:36 AM   #14

Original Poster
And my first photo on my new camera!

Pretty boring, not especially good but the first one and I LOVE my camera already!

Lisa
Attached Images

08-08-2011, 01:49 AM   #15
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lisa, your K-r will give you years of good photos.
Do you have the kit lenses? Any others?
You'll find the K-r a master at high ISO performance, good for lower light conditions.
Enjoy it!