Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #1

Kr and old K lenses

Today is my first day with my kr.

I used two of my lenses K 100 f4 and k 85mm and both did not work. F-- sign was flashing. In my old k100d, all i had to do was put in M and make sure it was on manual focus.

What i have to do in order to use old lenses?

Thanks

08-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is a sticky at the top of the beginners forum that tells you how to use manual lenses. One of the steps is to allow aperture settings other than A in the menu. After you set that correctly it should fire.
08-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please read https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html.

Further in the camera menu 'Allow aperture' do select 'Permitted'. You will find relevant info in https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/152802-help-re-usi...ring-info.html.

Hope that the info will help.
08-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
Worked.

Thanks guys.

08-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You should turn off auto focus on your camera when using manual lens.
Jake
08-09-2011, 11:31 PM   #6

K-r and manual lens

Well, I'm using few manual lenses with my kx. You can use them in manual mode, and both with auto focus or manual focus. But Auto Focus only with catch-in-focus function in the camera. You have to control the aperture manually in the lens.
08-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #7

Hello guys, I have an issue with a HOYA HMC ZOOM & MACRO 80-205 I bought at ebay thinking it would work on my Kr. The lens actually fitted but the same F_ _ appears. The above procedure simply doesn't work unfortunately.

08-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deepblue Quote
Hello guys, I have an issue with a HOYA HMC ZOOM & MACRO 80-205 I bought at ebay thinking it would work on my Kr. The lens actually fitted but the same F_ _ appears. The above procedure simply doesn't work unfortunately.
If you set it to permitted then it is working as intended. The "F---" appears because the camera has no idea what the f stop is. A non "A lens" isn't capable of communicating this information so it just flashes "F---". However, unlike before, you should see a shutter speed now and you should be able to take photographs. Make sure you're also in M mode and using "green button" metering.
08-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #9

The Kr has a bit different menu options and I couldn't find 'permitted' from any of the aperture setting options. I already set the switch to MF instead of AF but the shutter speed indicator remains blank and the F_ _ kept flashing.
08-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't remember the exact wording but it's on the last page of the customized options. Try turning the camera off and on after you make the change.
08-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Just to be clear...

QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
If you set it to permitted then it is working as intended. The "F---" appears because the camera has no idea what the f stop is. A non "A lens" isn't capable of communicating this information so it just flashes "F---". However, unlike before, you should see a shutter speed now and you should be able to take photographs. Make sure you're also in M mode and using "green button" metering.
Good info but just to be clear -

I think sometimes people get confused thinking that "M" lenses will only work when the camera is set to MF. If you want "M" lenses to essentially act as AF lenses (but having to use your fingers to turn the focus ring instead of having the camera focus motor do it for you) then "Catch in Focus" (CIF) is the way to go. If you want to use CIF with an "M" lens you need to turn CIF on and have the focus set to AF.S. (Autofocus Single.) The only part about not having AF with an "M" lens is manually turning the focus ring. The AF point will tell you that your subject in focus is just like as if an AF lens was attached. Of course AF.S needs to be set or the camera won't indicate when focus is hit. I think that CIF is pretty cool. You can still shoot continuously as well.

Checklist:

Mount an "M' lens
Allow for use of the aperture ring
Set to MF (or to AF.S if you want to use CIF)
Set CIF on if you want to use it.
Focus
Push Green button to meter
Set ISO and/or shutter speed if you want and/or adjust f-stop on aperture ring
Touch up your focus and trigger if in MF
Hold trigger down and touch up focus if in CIF. The shutter will trip automatically when in focus.

Last edited by lammie200; 08-11-2011 at 08:34 PM.
08-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #12

I really have to sort this issue well tomorrow guys. I hope this lens should work. Thanks for the tips.
08-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #13

I had finally set the options to permitted in the menu which was hard to find. I'm amused that there are lots of options I still fail to discover for a month with this camera. I had the shutter released and was very glad for the assistance, guys. The rest remains for the camera to be adjusted to make the image recognizable though. I hope I could still make some good pictures with this $48 manual lens (still in mint condition though).

Thanks a lot for your efforts, everyone.
08-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I don't like CIF (catch in focus) I prefer to manually focus the lens and re-compose the image. If you set the camera to AF and AF-S the red in focus indicator will flash when the image is in focus when you use a manual lens. You take the image when you want with the shutter release. The above checklist is valid I just don't set CIF.

Hans
08-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

True dat...

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I don't like CIF (catch in focus) I prefer to manually focus the lens and re-compose the image. If you set the camera to AF and AF-S the red in focus indicator will flash when the image is in focus when you use a manual lens. You take the image when you want with the shutter release. The above checklist is valid I just don't set CIF.

Hans
Forgot to mention that you can still shoot an "M" lens with AF.S set and not be in CIF. It is nice that you get the indicator to tell you that the target is in focus.

There are plenty of times when I prefer not to use CIF. However, if there is some action going on I like CIF. It can sometimes be difficult for me to use MF without CIF if I have a fast moving target and I can't boost to a fast shutter speed. I am still working on my techniques though.