Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Filters!

Hello,

So recently I invested $$$ in my new Tamron 18-250mm (now you might be thinking new? And yes, new it is ). I would like to get opinion from this forum about using filters.
Definitely I would like to protect my investment and add some value my photos. As many of my friends recommended me to get a UV filter that can be used as a permanent protective layer.

But reading forums and articles, I came to know that using filters may cause poor contrast and saturation.

I almost made my mind to buy Hoya HMC UV(C) filter but second opinion is always the best

08-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

From reading the forum, surely you realize that a clear/UV filter won't add any quality to your photos. On the other hand, they may not detract (under most circumstances) to a degree you can detect, and it's not bad to have a filter for those times (blowing sand or other bad conditions) when it might come in handy. I'd find it uncomfortable to wipe at the front of my lens (vs. the front of a filter) between every picture, which I often have to do in the rain.

Paul
08-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #4

Unless you are going to be shooting in hazardous (to the lens) conditions, ask yourself if it's really sensible to place a piece of glass that'll cost you a few dollars/pounds/euros in front of a lens that's probably cost you several hundred dollars/pounds/euros.

For normal shooting conditions, a lens hood can provide as much protection as any filter.

Any piece of glass is a UV filter because UV light does not pass through glass. If you have a pair of spectacles that darken in sunlight, you'll find that they don't darken when you are in your car. Why? Because they are activated by UV light, which does not penetrate glass.

08-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #5

Original Poster
Okay so no UV filter!

What about Clear filters? I want to protect my front element from dust and in drizzle.

How much I am sacrificing in terms of photo quality if I use a filter?
08-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swapnil Quote
Okay so no UV filter!

What about Clear filters? I want to protect my front element from dust and in drizzle.

How much I am sacrificing in terms of photo quality if I use a filter?
Any extra layer of glass between subject and frame reduces IQ by some small amount. As we've said, a clear or UV filter WILL protect the front element in grungy conditions -- spraying sea-salt, swirling sand, spurting blood-mud-beer, etc. Absent those situations, a hood provides more protection. When I got my DA18-250 I also ordered a clear filter -- big waste of money, I never ever use it. I should sell that sucker to some clueless newb, er I mean to an anxious novice.

How much IQ loss? That depends. If the light is behind you, then not much. If direct light reflects off a non-MC filter, then a lot. How much does a filter protect? From dust, almost nothing. From drizzle, almost nothing if you have a hood and don't aim the lens upward. From blown abrasive-corrosive gunk I mentioned above? Considerable!

But big hi-quality 'protective' filters are also rather costly. Sure, it's better to waste a US$50-$75 filter than a US$450 lens. But waste a few of those filters, and you're up in new-lens territory, cost-wise. Better to avoid glass-wastage situations in the first place IMHO.

My recommendation: If you plan to be in glass-hazardous scenarios, get some cheap manual 80-200mm zooms for ~US$15 each and waste THOSE instead. If you gotta take your 18-250 into danger, then buy my filter. Otherwise, depend on a hood and your caution.

EDIT: Here is a situation that calls for more than just a hood:

Last edited by RioRico; 08-14-2011 at 01:28 PM.
08-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Here is a situation that calls for more than just a hood:
Thats a fiasco! Poor cam

Thanks for the insightful advice. Looks like I should keep one in my bag just in case if needed.