Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2011, 07:29 AM   #1

Newbie..Just bought a K-r with the twin lens kit.

Hi all,

I just got a K-r in anticipation of my 1st new born coming up in November and wanting to know more about DSLR photography.

I also wanted to take this as an opportunity to thank those that have submitted reviews of the K-r. I was comparing the K-r to the Nikon D3100, Sony Hybrid Nex 5 and Olympus Pen. Picked the K-r in the end.

Thanks to the reviews, it made my decision alot easier and it was truly a great camera for a beginer like me.

I was hoping to learn from you and hopefully be good enough one day to contribute.

regards

Carrera 3

08-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congratulations...

Congratulations on the new baby. Mine is 3 and a half now and more rewarding every minute.

Hope that you enjoy the camera. I did a lot of research and borrowed Canons and Nikons but ended up with both a K-r and a K-5. I really like them. There are lots of choices for good old affordable lenses if you ever get into manual focusing. I guess that I just like to have total control and it is nice to experiment without breaking the bank. (That may make little sense since our banks have been broken for many years now!)

Enjoy and I hope that you stay tuned to this forum. It can really be a help.
08-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations on the new baby, take lots of pictures! Mine is getting married next month, I wish I had more shots of when he was little.

The k-r is a great camera but as with any DSLR there is a learning curve. If you expect to just point and shoot without understanding the basics you will become frustrated, trust me I speak from experience. The first month or so the pictures from my k-x were worse than the ones my wife was taking with her little point & shoot. Not the camera's fault, mine.

There are lots of very good cameras on the market, and as a fellow Pentax user I am glad you chose Pentax but the camera is the least important part of the equation. In order of importance:
1) Photographer
2) Light
3) Lenses
4) Camera

A good lens can make up for a poor camera, good light can make up for a poor lens, and a good photographer can do things even in poor light that the rest of us only dream about.

The first thing you should do is buy a book on basic photography. I recommend "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. I wish I had read it years before I did, it would have made the road a lot smoother. There are lots of good books out there as well as an almost infinite amount of material on the internet. Bryan's book focuses on the basics of getting your exposure correct and what that means for a photograph.

Best,

John
08-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
Forum Member

Welcome and congratulations!

^In response to what jatrax has said about there being infinite material on the internet: it's so true. Google is a fantastic resource, as are the threads here! I did a lot of reading before I got the opportunity to play with my K-r and it definitely paid off. I've had it for a couple of months now and still definitely consider myself a newbie, though; there's a LOT left for me to learn, lol. You aren't alone in your beginner status!!

08-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome - good having you here.
Enjoy the forum - it's a goldmine of knowledge.
08-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum, I also have the Kr with 2 lens kit, this is my 5th Pentax and 2nd Pentax DSLR, I chose Pentax because of my old Pentax lenses that still work on my new Pentax. The nice thing about digital is you get instant feedback on everything you try so get a book and try things. While you are learning use Auto or Av at f8 for best results with the kit lenses. Once you get a grip on exposure you can move on to other settings. When the new born comes try daylight from a window without flash on P (Program) and get close, focus on the eyes and with kids get down to their level, don't shoot down to them, shots of the top of heads don't get it. Have fun with both new arrivals.

Hans
08-18-2011, 06:16 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you for welcoming me to the forum.

Looking foward to this weekend of DSLR fun!! : )