Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Me and my Kr off to Vietnam

I have now been the proud owner of a new K-r for exactly one week, having purchased it in preparation for a once-in-a-life-time trip to Vietnam and Cambodia.
Although I still have an old Pentax MZ-50, I have just about forgotten everything about camera set up having not used it now for some 15 years.
I have the 18-55mm kit lens that came with the camera, and I'm now trying to decide whether there might be a more appropriate lense out there which will suit my needs while travelling. I'm not sure what I'll be taking photos of, but I love landscape and people shots. I am planning on travelling as light as possible - is there one lense that would cover everything? Or would I be better to take two? If so, what??
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Also, would it be a good idea to have a UV filter? I have one on my old camera but it is the wrong size for the new lense.

08-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwuk Quote
but I love landscape and people shots
The DA 18-135 would cover the landscapes to people shots for you, however, you already have a kit 18-55 so I would invest the money into a good prime for the people shots (also to use for other shots), maybe a DA 70 or something similar; if you are comfortable with manual focus the Samyang 85mm is a great choice...

So, my answer -> Take Two

Also, would it be a good idea to have a UV filter
It's a matter of preference, some people are like vampires and are scared to see the sunlight without having them, and others wouldn't dare to attach them to their lenses...

---
08-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I am planning on travelling as light as possible - is there one lense that would cover everything? Or would I be better to take two? If so, what??
If absolutely only one lens to do a lot - many here like the discontinued but available used 18-250. The kit lens you have is viable (I like my similar version), so if you are happy with that and want to supplement with another the DA 70 is a great choice for people, and it is small/light. The range limits a bit, though. For a consumer zoom the 55-300 is good, and not too heavy, but it is much larger than the DA 70. Have fun - I hope you have a great time on the trip! Glenn
08-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

My minimal kit: Tamron 10-24 for tight places; FA50/1.4 for dim places or fast action; and the great DA18-250 for everything else. Throw in a Raynox DCR-250 for macros, and almost all situations are covered. Have fun!

08-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forum,

The Kit lens is a nice lens, but it does not perform well in low light conditions due in part to the slow apertures. I would suggest either a Sigma 28mm F1.8 Macro or a 30MM F1.4 they will perform better than 18-55 kit. You would find this beneficial under the canopy of the Vietnam jungle or museum. With the 'kit' and Sigma lenses combined with a pocket guide to photography you will be equipped for your vacation.
08-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum,
If you want to travel light I would go for the 18-250 Pentax or 18-200 Sigma. Read your manuel on how to use auto ISO. In lower light conditions it will allow you to take sharp shots.