Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash Compatibility

I have a Pentax AF220T flash - a relic from my Pentax MZ50. When I first bought my K-r I tried it out and it worked, but I have since read about flash compatibility and the fact that the wrong flash can damage your camera.
I checked out the accessories page and it states that this is a pure TTL auto flash and it can only be used with PENTAX SLR and DSLR cameras which support TTL flash. It then goes on to list the cameras, but does not list the K series.
My manual refers to P-TTL flashes and hence does not include the AF220T, but it does warn that, "Flashes with reversed polarity (the centre contact on the hot shoe is minus) cannot be used due to the risk of damaging the camera and flash."
This suggests that other flashes can be used as long as the centre pin is not missing.
The AF220T has a centre pin and it is recommended for TTL systems.
After that round about background, can anyone tell me if it is compatible with the K-r or not?

08-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Whilst TTL is not supported on any Pentax dSLR (apart from *ist D/DS vintage), A and M modes can be utilised. Be sure of flash trigger voltages of any flash you put on your camera by checking here: Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages. Avoid voltages any higher than 10V and definitely above 30V.
08-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Ash, I will check it out.
08-20-2011, 11:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages did not feature the AF220T, but provided some useful direction on measuring the trigger voltage. With my old analogue volt meter it was just under 10 volts, but according the other information I found the trigger voltage is 7.4 volts, so it should be safe on my K-r

The one bit of advice that I came across in relation to a K10D, which should also apply to the K-r, is that the AF220T does not support TTL (preferred by the flash), and the flash does not support P-TTL (preferred by the camera). Most of the time, the solution is to set both camera and flash to Manual. However, I believe this is the one flash that can't be used at all with modern (P-TTL) cameras because it has no manual mode.

I think I will mothball my old AF220T and get a P-TTL compatible flash instead, rather than risk any damage to my camera.

08-21-2011, 12:56 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Good idea - though you can still use the AF220, just only at maximum power, limiting greatly your exposure settings.

So P-TTL would be the way to go, and the best one is the AF540FGZ, by virtue of its tilting and swivelling head.
08-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Ash