Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #1

My K-R came with the old 18-55 lens

Given the good reviews of the 18-55 AL 'kit lens', I went ahead and ordered the K-R bundled with it. Months later, I've noticed there is no 'II' marked on the lens meaning (it seems) that I received the old version of the lens that is supposedly out of production.

Did the retailer do a 'switcheroo' on me? Or are K-R's normally bundled with the old version of the 18-55 lens (version I not version II).

Oddly, the box indicates the two kit lens bundle which includes also the 50-200 ... the 50-200 was not ordered nor was it in the box.

I'm afraid that even if I received the wrong lens, there might not be much I can do as my receipt does not specify version II so, technically, my order was fufilled. I'm not sure if there is much I can do...

08-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The K-r typically comes with the DA-L kit lens, which is optically the same as the "II", but with a plastic mount and no quick-shift. There is no "II" marked anywhere on the lens. If the lens has a silver ring on it (not green) and a plastic mount, then you have the correct kit lens for the K-r.
08-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
Ha ... I do have the silver ring ... it seems there are two versions of version II.

All is good ... thanks for the help!
08-23-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stills999 Quote
Ha ... I do have the silver ring ... it seems there are two versions of version II.

All is good ... thanks for the help!
You're welcome.

Well, technically there are three lenses with the "version II" optical formula, and only one of them uses the designation "II"; the "DA 18-55 AL II", the "DA L 18-55 AL" and the "DA 18-55 AL WR".

Last edited by dgaies; 08-23-2011 at 08:01 PM.
08-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yes, forgot about the WR version!

Some marketing genius probably thought it would be better to reserve the 'II' only for those paying the premium price to upgrade. Anyway, just glad I did not call the retailer to complain!
08-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wow, thanks for this thread, didn't even see the review on the DAL where they said it's optically the same as the II version..