Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #1

Video playback issues

When trying to watch videos from my K-r in Media Player Classic I can't usually get anything to play. I get a static image and no sound. Sometimes the video will play but without sound.

When I use Windows Media Player I only get sound and just a pair of sixteenth notes where the video should be.

The videos do play fine in Quicktime, though.

Has anyone else had these problems? If so, what can I do?

08-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sounds like you're having problems with your audio/video codecs. What version of Windows are you using?

Something like the K-Lite codec pack would probably fix you right up.
08-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monkadelicd Quote
When trying to watch videos from my K-r in Media Player Classic I can't usually get anything to play. I get a static image and no sound. Sometimes the video will play but without sound.

When I use Windows Media Player I only get sound and just a pair of sixteenth notes where the video should be.

The videos do play fine in Quicktime, though.
I always use VLC media player for playing all kind of formats. Its simply awesome; one player for all kind of files
you should try that
08-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That's another solution, but it's not my favourite. I don't think VLC generally renders video as sharply as WMP, probably due to the choice of codecs used (and the licensing restrictions of the proprietary ones). VLC does have the advantage of being cross-platform.

MPC is another, Media Player Classic, which comes bundled with the K-Lite codec pack. I've never found a file that VLC would play that MPC wouldn't.

08-25-2011, 03:24 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Sounds like you're having problems with your audio/video codecs. What version of Windows are you using?

Something like the K-Lite codec pack would probably fix you right up.

I've got the K-lite mega codec pack installed. So I figured I was covered on that front. Motion JPEG .AVI is a pretty basic codec that I assumed was standard to play. I've got other videos that are .AVI and they play just fine. I'm not sure which encoding they are, though I'm sure they are something more size efficient that Motion JPEG.
08-25-2011, 03:26 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swapnil Quote
I always use VLC media player for playing all kind of formats. Its simply awesome; one player for all kind of files
you should try that
I used MPC. It is my default for all video files. This is the first time I've had trouble with a video, though.
08-25-2011, 04:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm really not sure what else to suggest then, sorry. If you try to play one in WMP, and in the file list you double click the error icon indicating the missing codec, followed by the web help button, does it give you a recommendation to install?