Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Group Photography

I have been asked to take the team photo for my Rugby Union team, just prior to the Grand Final tomorrow (Go Stags!).

I'm taking the photo at around 2pm so unless it is pizzling down (quite possible, I am in Tasmania after all and it IS still winter), the light should be ok.

Photos will be taken outdoors. I have the kit 18 - 55 and 55 - 300 lenses.

Can anybody suggest settings for me please?

I've never taken a large group shot before and being a special photograph, I don't want to muff it.

Lisa

08-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shoot lots, try to shoot around 1/250th of a second, so that your shot isn't blurry, and don't shoot too high iso... and take lots, you can always delete pics later, f5.6-8 will give you the whole group in focus.

others may differ on their settings, but if the light is good enough you will get a good shot with these settings, don't be afraid to use flash, but make sure it is the fill light, not the key in the photo.
08-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the input!

And editing to add: I use my 55 - 300 for the action shots, should I switch to the 18 - 55 for the group shot? And a real nuff-nuff question...I'd be best to use the Av setting wouldn't I?

Lisa

Last edited by Ellzintaz; 08-25-2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Forgot to ask something...
08-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

18-55 for the mug shot - you'll need the width. This is a pretty controlled situation - you can chimp and make sure you get a good one. Practice a bad joke or two for some genuine smiles, or make everyone look down and then on count of three look up and smile at the camera. In my experience, don't take them all from the same position. Don't be scared to use your flash for a bit of fill light. The attached photo is taken with a Joby Gorilla pod ~ 6 inches from the ground. Nice thing about the low vantage, it takes a lot of clutter out of the scene.

For the game play, set Tv to 1/500 or you will get blurred appendages. You can check out my SMC 300mm F4 album where there are some sample shots of sports. Might want to set spot focus instead of Auto 11 / Auto 5. And you will probably want to shoot Raw+ or RAW so that you have more tinkering options in PP. Mind your backgrounds and isolate the action... there is a good blog post I came across here

Last edited by mattt; 01-07-2016 at 05:34 PM.
08-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #5

Original Poster
Mattt, you're a legend!
Thanks so much. I love being able to look at the EXIF info too...can learn heaps from it!

My biggest fear is fluffing the shot because it has taken me a while to get the team to respect me and my photographs as it is. ESPECIALLY with a PINK Pentax!! I'm sure you can imagine some of the locker-room jokes about it!

Lisa
08-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #6

Original Poster
And here is the end result. I ended up taking about 30 odd shots with varying degrees of success and a LOT of laughter and fun in the process. Who'd have thought it would be so riotous getting so many grown men organised for one simple task?

I'm so glad that I took the photo though....we won the Grand Final so will always have this to look back upon!

I am going to get a copy printed and framed and donate it to the club.

Lisa
Attached Images

08-31-2011, 06:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice one - 14 abreast is WIDE angle

08-31-2011, 09:06 AM   #8

Us Men grow up physically......not always mentally lol.

Very nice shot & for me the memory is what it is all about. Nice one.
08-31-2011, 05:28 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you so much!

You may enjoy a few of the out takes....

"it's all about ME!" from one of our back row...Coach stepping in to read them the riot act...and somebody playing hide and seek!

I look at the entire series frame-by-frame and get the giggles...it was so much fun!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo