Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
My K-r journey....

Well, I've owned the Pretty Pink Pentax for almost a month and I have to say that I am absolutely smitten with it!

I've taken some pretty lousy shots but I've taken some that I'm really quite proud of as well. And better still, they aren't necessarily "fluke" shots.

I've found myself thinking more about lighting and background and where the sun is as well as the more critical subjects of depth of field, shutter speed and ISO.

Still a bit hit and miss sometimes, but getting more "good" shots than bad ones which is encouraging!

Lisa
PS. I have to say that this forum is an amazing place. Very few other places on the "net" are as willing to share information and encourage others, no matter how bad their photographs are!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
08-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good shots, Love #4 - when I played, weren't allowed to lift jumpers during line-out.

Just a thought, Tv at 1/3000 is a bit fast, you can knock it down a stop, maybe even two, and drop the ISO for less noise if you care about it.
08-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips Mattt, I'll put them into practice tomorrow! Some of the shots with more noise were very late in the day when I was losing light...I was really struggling with dark shots but I guess they could be lightened PP if need be.

Rugby has come a long way that's for sure. I watched a "Golden Oldies" game a couple of weeks ago and it was much more like I was used to seeing. Very enjoyable indeed.

I love taking my rugby shots. The boys are getting used to having their stalker on the sidelines now! Season ends tomorrow so I am going to start following one of the local Rugby League clubs so that I have rugby shots to take during summer until the real game starts again next year!

Lisa
08-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Nice shots.

- I agree with Matt that you do not need 1/5000s. IMO, any speed faster than 1/60 to 1/150 s for rugby will be good.

- In dark light, consider to shoot RAW (or RAW+) to give you better options for PP.

- In poor light, a fast lens may help. f2.8, f1.8 or better f1.4. I assume that you use a kit lens (50-300mm). These kit lenses are not the fastest lenses. (I shoot occasionally indoor sports and I like to use f1.8 or f1.4 lenses in poorly lighted all when I do not want to use flash.)

- Have you used High-ISO noise correction? With the K-7, it works nicely. I am not sure for the K-r but it may worth a try when you shoot RAW+ or JPEG.

- Have you tried Hi continuous shooting? I found that it give a better choice of 'keepers'.

Hope that the comments will help.

08-26-2011, 03:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ellzintaz Quote
I guess they could be lightened PP if need be.
If you are already shooting at 3200 ISO, pushing the exposure in PP becomes problematic - more noise and colour gets washed out. I'm sure you've already seen that. if you slow the shutter and shoot at a lower ISO setting, it gives you the option of fiddling.
08-26-2011, 04:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

1/500 or 1/640 will do the trick
08-26-2011, 04:31 AM   #7

Might not need 1/5000 for every shot, but 1/60 to 1/150 will produce blurry results in many instances where the movements are faster. When shooting just about any sport with the intent to freeze the action (as most prefer to do) you should be concerned with shutter speed.....even at the expense of some noise at higher ISO. At least then you have the option, if the noise is excessive, to run it through some noise reduction software and get a usable photo. You can't fix blur in post processing.
08-26-2011, 05:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I actually like the last shot, but agree that with a 300mm lens, even in low light with a reasonably fast sport like rugby, 1/640 should be enough. It will bring the ISO down quite a bit

08-26-2011, 06:38 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Good shots, Love #4 - when I played, weren't allowed to lift jumpers during line-out.

Agree - great shots.
I don't think you can lift now can you? I think you can just support a player at the top of a jump but might be wrong.
08-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill_R Quote
I don't think you can lift now can you? I think you can just support a player at the top of a jump but might be wrong
Pretty good vertical on those 2 fellows who look to be 16 stone a piece.
08-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bill_R Quote
Agree - great shots.
I don't think you can lift now can you? I think you can just support a player at the top of a jump but might be wrong.
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Pretty good vertical on those 2 fellows who look to be 16 stone a piece.
let's just say that I wouldn't like to be those boys and be that far above the ground without padding underneath me!!

Here's another shot of Josh getting ready to "jump"...

Have taken all comments on board and am ready to start a new day in my journey with settings lowered and a new eye!

Lisa
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
08-30-2011, 08:16 PM   #12

Original Poster
And the journey continues...we WON the Grand Final!!!!

Some more of my shots....I took the advice on board!

Thank you all for your help. You rock!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
08-30-2011, 11:19 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Your best set of pics yet, well done. Good win too
08-31-2011, 12:44 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks twitch!

Lisa
08-31-2011, 06:24 AM   #15
Site Supporter

You can see it in the opponents faces in #4.... no heart. Your boys are way intense.

Nice shots again - and I think the colours look better as a result of those adjustments you've made. Well done.