Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sensor dust problem, any advise?

Hi,

I switched to Pentax KR from Canon a couple of months ago and in general liked it a lot.
But one thing worries me: during this time I had to clean sensor twice from dust particles.

I never faced this problem on Canon and Sony Alpha before it. Today I bought "Lenspen Sensorklean"
that appeared useful because I feel I will need it a lot (I'm getting mad when I see some spot on photo).

My question is: is Pentax less protected against dust and how often you are cleaning sensor
provided that you change the lenses quite frequently?

Your experience and advice will be appreciated.

Last edited by vlad2304; 08-27-2011 at 09:37 AM.
08-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vlad2304 Quote
Hi,

I switched to Pentax KR from Canon a couple of months ago and in general liked it a lot.
But one thing worries me: during this time I had to clean sensor twice from dust particles.

I never faced this problem on Canon and Sony Alpha before it. Today I bought "Lenspen Sensorklean"
that appeared useful because I feel I will need it a lot (I'm getting mad when I see some spot on photo).

My question is: is Pentax less protected against dust and how often you are cleaning sensor
provided that you change the lenses quite frequently?

Your experience and advice will be appreciated.
I have K-20 since the day it came out, so a couple of years now. Been shooting in tough outdoor enviroments and never had any serious dust problems. Yet K-20 body is environment sealed. But also my 2nd body, the K-r - it has no special sealing - but no dust problems so far. And I switch lenses quite a lot, because I am a primes shooter!

Maybe your routine or environment of lens swapping changed or you simply just had bad luck. I always fit lens caps on right after the swapping process. And I keep my camera bag extra super duper clean when compared to the old film days!

In fact Pentax gives you some nice tools in the camera to cope with dust. All of them live in the "Tools 4" menu. Dust removal function will vibrate the sensor to remove dust particles, this works quite well and solved all my probs so far. Dust alert will show you where on a sensor the dust mob is picking. This comes useful if dust removal function couldn't shake it off and you ought to put hands on yourself.

Cheers,
D.
08-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Do you have startup dust removal turned on? It's very effective.
08-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies.
Yes, I switched on startup dust removal.
Now I guess the reason is that I got my KR with double kit plus while waiting for delivery I bought several cheap manual lenses
and when I got the camera I started playing with different lenses much more often than I did with my previous cameras.
I think solution is to keep my stuff in clean condition and place.
I searched this forum and understood that it is not Pentax specific problem and it can be cured using cleaning kits like I bought.

08-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vlad2304 Quote
...and when I got the camera I started playing with different lenses much more often than I did with my previous cameras.
That will be it, for sure. It's a constant battle if you're frequently lens swapping, especially out in the field. The startup option helps a bit, but it just moves the dust around. Get a good blower, turn the camera mount down, and carefully blow out the body of it.
09-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #6

When we use a blower, won't the dust get blown in and on the sensor? Asking this cause I see dust in the body but no idea how to clear them and been afraid to use a blower even if we turn it with mount facing down.
09-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don't be afraid...

QuoteOriginally posted by Bergerking Quote
When we use a blower, won't the dust get blown in and on the sensor? Asking this cause I see dust in the body but no idea how to clear them and been afraid to use a blower even if we turn it with mount facing down.
Like a lot of people I have had success with a blower. Just squeeze the blower a good 10-15 times before you use it to clean it out. Turn the camera upside down with the mirror up and blow a good 10-15 times. It is not as scientific as some people make it out to be.
09-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I had my first experience with the Pentax lens cleaning "lollipop" this past weekend. Works great! I always try the rocket blower first and it helps a lot. But I had several dust spots that just wouldn't blow off. Took two tries but the orange lollipop did the trick! And it was amazingly simple to use.

My fear about cleaning the sensor is now somewhat subdued.

09-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I had my first experience with the Pentax lens cleaning "lollipop" this past weekend. Works great! I always try the rocket blower first and it helps a lot. But I had several dust spots that just wouldn't blow off. Took two tries but the orange lollipop did the trick! And it was amazingly simple to use.

My fear about cleaning the sensor is now somewhat subdued.
Couldn't agree more with this. I bought an Ikky Sticky soon after buying my first DSLR on the premise that the principle of removal, not mere displacement of muck, made good sense. (considering that one wouldn't use a vacuum cleaner in reverse to "undust" their house!)

Sure they cost a few bucks extra but so what? Your dust-sensitive camera cost bucketloads more and, if nothing else, the shimmering quality of your pics when captured and rendered by a spotless-clean sensor is worth it. Trust me.
The native brand: < 39357 Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1 >
An alternative: < Eyelead Sensor Cleaning Kit SCK-1 Dust-sticking Bar & Cleaning Papers| MaxSaver.Net (hvStar) >

.R. Cough... cough... (OK, I can't deny that I still own and use a bulb blower for some things) cough... cough...

Last edited by Hypocorism; 09-02-2011 at 06:27 PM.
09-20-2011, 06:06 AM   #10

Hi guys, I blew dust into my k-x viewfinder by a blower... nothing in the images. It is not harmful but really a sore to my eyes... any easy ways to try and get rid of those specks?
09-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

This makes people cringe, but I've always used canned gas for routine sensor and viewfinder cleaning.
Just make sure you don't tip the can when using it and do a couple of 'test puffs" to make sure the nozzle is clear of liquid (it comes out pretty cold).
09-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bergerking Quote
Hi guys, I blew dust into my k-x viewfinder by a blower... nothing in the images. It is not harmful but really a sore to my eyes... any easy ways to try and get rid of those specks?
No, unfortunately there is no easy way.
At very minimum you have to unclip the viewfinder screen, then completely remove or just lay it back inside the camera body and gently blow or brush those nasty specks off its inside face. (Naturally you can clean the outer face without dislodging or removing the screen via its retainer clip, but the sneaky specks are usually on the inside anyway.)
Then you have to refit / reclip the V.F.S back exactly as it was, without introducing more fine aliens, or damaging it or anything else.

Caution: This in an insanely delicate operation requiring utmost care and patience. The Viewfinder Screen (basically a Fresnel Lens) is made of very soft plastic so is really easy to create a minor scratch, so small / fine that you'd be hard pressed to be able to see it on its surface by the naked eye but when reinstalled and under use will, not might, give an illusion of magnification of the defect that will drive you nuts and look as deep as the f....in' grand canyon! (Yeah, a new screen can be ordered from Pentax, or you can buy / try aftermarket 'split-prism' screens from eBay, Focusingscreen.com, Katzeye, etc.)

Anyhow, to attack the beast, try this guide for size: < http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/files/install6.pdf >

.R. -- Who once cleaned a K-x and a K-r V.F.screen and prefers to stick to brain surgery in the future.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 09-20-2011 at 09:01 AM.