Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2011, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #16
mer

Unless it's a small kid I never care and shoot ANYWHERE and ANYTHING I like. I live in London too , I am a bit more careful shooting at the City of London corporation ( square mile ) as it has its own police force and they are quite bad. Metropolitan police are way friendlier

As I said unless its a small kid , I shoot whatever I want in England without asking permission for anything as long as its in public view

If you do get caught , confuse them , they will let you go... dont sign anything be polite and of course know your rights and the law

08-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #17
Forum Member

I remember when we decided that plane-spotters and other aviation enthusiasts would make a decent supplemental surveillance network. After all, they were there to observe, not focus on other tasks and had a sense of what's typical. Unfortunately, I don't remember how that worked out or if we still do it over here.
08-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just watch yourself and do not get into trouble. Years ago at Pearson International Airport near Toronto, Canada, I took some pictures of the airport from the parking areas without problems but this was in the 1980's long before any type 9/11 era securty. The link to the ferris wheel just shows what can happen with the wrong type of person.
08-31-2011, 08:03 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevbike Quote
just shows what can happen with the wrong type of person.
And if traveling in an unfamiliar American city with your camera hanging around your neck be sure not to sit on a bench to wait for a bus if it is across the street from a grammar school or day care center. The wrong type of person may think you are a pedophile.
My point is, we do not have to know the particular fears or experiences of local police or security personnel. The laws and rights governing these situations are national (here in the US).
Sure, if in my example above, there has been pedophile activity at that location you may come under some more scrutiny. That is why I say answer the first minimal questions: Who are you, why are you here? And in a friendly way voluntarily explain that your hobby is photography and you are taking hobby or travel pictures.
If they then demand ID or to see your pictures, ask if you are being charged with a crime - politely. If not, then all they can do at that point is to observe you for any behavior that is legally traditionally accepted as suspicious.
Taking a picture of a picturesque bank building is not suspicious. Taking several shots at opening time, closing time and/or when an armored car delivery takes place may well be suspicious behavior, depending upon other circumstances.

08-31-2011, 11:46 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We also have an aviation usergroup here on the forum, I'm sure you can get a lot of pointers there!

Aviation! - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: