Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2011, 06:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Anticipation

Hi, all -

Well, after almost a year of researching, lingering, and hand-wringing, I finally pulled the trigger on a K-r. (Getting a new job in the meantime helped seal the deal.) I went with the two-lens 18-55/55-300 package, which appears to give me the most bang for my buck. It'll be at least a week before it arrives, which is just torture! Then I'll finally be an official contributor to this forum instead of a mere troll.

Anyway, Amazon has been sporadically having this two-lens package for $660 (yes, the 55-300 package at this price!). It had disappeared for a couple of weeks, but it popped back up yesterday, and I jumped on it. They sold out in about an hour, but I saw last night that the deal was back up.

Thanks to all of you for the wonderful info on this site...made the decision quite a bit easier. First shots coming soon...

Ryan

08-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum. If your experience is anything like mine, you're going to have a blast with the K-r. The 55-300 is a good zoom too. Here's hoping they ship it fast.
08-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #3

I hope you have better luck than I'm having. I ordered my K-r from Amazon on Aug 19th
and it still hasn't arrived.

It figures...this is the most I've been looking forward to a package and it's the first
time it hasn't shown up as scheduled.

(I got the single lens package for $583. Sounds like you got a good deal.)

-Matt
08-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
Hi, all -

Well, after almost a year of researching, lingering, and hand-wringing, I finally pulled the trigger on a K-r. (Getting a new job in the meantime helped seal the deal.) I went with the two-lens 18-55/55-300 package, which appears to give me the most bang for my buck. It'll be at least a week before it arrives, which is just torture! Then I'll finally be an official contributor to this forum instead of a mere troll.

Anyway, Amazon has been sporadically having this two-lens package for $660 (yes, the 55-300 package at this price!). It had disappeared for a couple of weeks, but it popped back up yesterday, and I jumped on it. They sold out in about an hour, but I saw last night that the deal was back up.

Thanks to all of you for the wonderful info on this site...made the decision quite a bit easier. First shots coming soon...

Ryan
I ordered this same package at that price back on 8/3, and I am having a great time with the camera! Definitely glad I got the 55-300, it's a great lens

08-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have the same pkg form Abes of Mane, Love it, and the 55-300 is great

Hans
08-30-2011, 08:21 PM   #6

You're going to love your K-r and the lens package you have ordered. That is what I have. I've used both lenses now but I just ADORE my 55 - 300. I have only had my camera for not quite a month, but it was definitely worth the plunge. Hope you feel the same about yours when it arrives!

My two favourite things in the world right now are my camera and my dog...woe betide anybody who touches either! lol

Lisa
08-31-2011, 03:48 AM   #7

I just got my K-R on Friday, I got the 18-55 & the 50-200 lens kit....wish I had got the 300 now lol.

Loving it so far, its a bit of a big step for me from a normal cam but one that will be worthwhile in the long run.
08-31-2011, 04:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
I finally pulled the trigger on a K-r.
What colour did you get?

Regards,
--Anders.

08-31-2011, 06:05 AM   #9
Forum Member

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the K-r .... I got mine last month and love it !
I like the size and the available Ltd glasses. I like my gears to be small and unobtrusive so the K-r is the most suitable option for me.

Enjoy !
08-31-2011, 08:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi, all -

Anders, I went with black. From what I read, the audible noise of the K-r is obtrusive enough...didn't want it to be visually noisy, too.

Two questions for you folks while I'm waiting for Amazon...

1. I'm planning to put filters (UV?) on both lenses for protection. What should I be looking for in filter attributes? Are the cheap Zeikos ones good enough? Does it significantly affect image quality?

2. What are your thoughts on lens hoods? I like the "collapsability" of the rubber hoods, but they also don't protect as well. Then again, I've read that the added length of a rigid hood can just put more torque on the lens during a bump. Any cheap favorites out there?

Thanks!
Ryan
08-31-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I've found myself leaning more and more towards the camp that believes UV filters are usually unnecessary, and if used to protect the front element should be taken off when shooting. It's just one more layer of often cheap glass between your subject and lens. A lens cap is all the protection you should need.

Other filters like a CPL and ND will probably give you more mileage in the long run.

A lens hood is a must, but nothing to do with protecting the lens. It's to prevent lens flare from the sun or other bright light sources. Rubber or hard plastic will do fine for this. They say to use cylindrical ones for telephotos and conical ones for wide angle.

EDIT: Just saw this, it's an extreme example illustrating how a UV filter can hinder your shooting when it isn't needed. http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon_50mm/discuss/72157603907741669/

Last edited by Philoslothical; 08-31-2011 at 01:35 PM.
08-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I've found myself leaning more and more towards the camp that believes UV filters are usually unnecessary, and if used to protect the front element should be taken off when shooting. It's just one more layer of often cheap glass between your subject and lens. A lens cap is all the protection you should need.

Other filters like a CPL and ND will probably give you more mileage in the long run.

A lens hood is a must, but nothing to do with protecting the lens. It's to prevent lens flare from the sun or other bright light sources. Rubber or hard plastic will do fine for this. They say to use cylindrical ones for telephotos and conical ones for wide angle.

EDIT: Just saw this, it's an extreme example illustrating how a UV filter can hinder your shooting when it isn't needed. Flickr: Discussing Internal Reflection from UV filter? in Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM.
thanks for this.i took a few night pictures a while back and was getting the same reflections.i also have uv filters attached.was bamboozled by it.
08-31-2011, 08:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Philoslothical...good info!
09-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Are the cheap Zeikos ones good enough? Does it significantly affect image quality?
I guess I am one of those who feel more comfortable with a UV filter. Hope I don't scratch anything, but if I do, I'd rather it be the filter than the lens. Also, I find that sometimes people like to look at pictures, so I'll hand the camera to them. Not that many people are used to handling SLR cameras, and I've had them accidentally brush a palm or thumb across the front. Again, better to get a thumbprint on the filter than the lens.

However, my advice is: don't cheap out too much on the filter. I did, getting a cheap Vivitar filter kit with my camera. That was a mistake. The AR coating on the UV filter was not particularly good, causing high-contrast shots to have a very noticeable ghost image. Ugh. To make matters worse, the ghost was more noticeable in the captured images than in the viewfinder, so I didn't become aware of it until I had spoiled a couple of otherwise nice pictures.

Hoya HMC Super UV filter fixed that. $35, I think, but worth it. I wish I had bought that in the first place.

Hope you enjoy your K-r. I've been pleased with mine.
09-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #15

My .02 worth on cheap UV filters.Ya get what you pay for.See the attached pics.Now keep in mind that this was from a bright light source ,but this illustrates exactly why i am going to buy a good filter.I had this one that came on an old Mamiya screw mount that i decided to use on my KR kit lens.
Attached Images