Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #1

What would you do?

Hello everybody,

After my K-x suffered some damage from a hard fall, I've been thinking of getting the K-r as a replacement. The cost is not quite double that of repairing the K-x and replacing the DA L 18-55 that was destroyed in the fall.

Before posing my question, I want to mention that I love taking portraits of my wife & daughter and would love to upgrade my longer glass. This is my current lineup: FA31; DA 40 Ltd.; DA L 55-300. I would love to add the FA77. Not to say that the FA31 and DA40 don't also get a lot of use.

However, when I considered the cost of the K-r w/ 18-55 + FA77 ($1,370 at B&H), it crossed my mind that I could get a K5 w/ 18-55 WR for roughly the same price ($1,350 at B&H till Nov 2011).

If you were in my position, and wouldn't be able to spend any more money on photography for A LONG TIME after this decision, which route would you take?

K5 w/ 18-55 WR:

- Huge upgrade to the body which would allow me a lot of room to grow
- A complete WR package when adding the 18-55 WR
- K5 + FA31 and/or DA 40 Ltd. would be an amazing combination
- Would still have 18-300mm covered

K-r w/ 18-55 + FA77:

- Some great improvements over the K-x (AF assist lamp, ability for AF micro adjustment, lighted focus points in view finder), and I didn't feel too lacking with the K-x as it was.
- Allows me to round-out my lens lineup with the addition of the FA77 - which I would use A LOT with my family.

What would you do? I REALLY appreciate your input as this is a huge decision for me.

09-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No contest for me. I'd get the K-5 for its superior AF and AE, solid build quality, weather resistance, pro handling & features, better sensitivity. The 77 is a nice lens, but the K-5 upgrades all your lenses and your entire photographic experience.
09-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A recent price drop and rebate put the K-5 closer to your reach.
09-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Get the K-5. As someone who is still thrilled to death with my K-r, I can still see the significant advantages of the K-5, and hope to be able to pick one up eventually. I got my K-r + 18-55 for $600+tax, the K-5 was way out of reach for me.

Also remember that there is a LOT of cheap old glass that's still plenty good out there that you can get for a song. You can build up a nice collection of lenses over time without breaking the bank.

09-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
No contest for me. I'd get the K-5 for its superior AF and AE, solid build quality, weather resistance, pro handling & features, better sensitivity. The 77 is a nice lens, but the K-5 upgrades all your lenses and your entire photographic experience.
Thanks for the feedback. It's funny, I think you can tell which way you're really leaning when you open the response and hope the person persuades you a certain way. In other words, deep down I REALLY want the K5.

My hesitation was only that I won't be able to upgrade my lenses for a long, long time with the purchase of the K5. However, I'm in photography for the long-term and really would like to invest in a solid camera body. Given your advice, and considering your lens collection, I'm wondering why you haven't chosen to upgrade to the K5 yourself. I'm assuming your lens purchases came prior to the release of the k5.

Anyway, I appreciate the input.
09-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Get the K-5. As someone who is still thrilled to death with my K-r, I can still see the significant advantages of the K-5, and hope to be able to pick one up eventually. I got my K-r + 18-55 for $600+tax, the K-5 was way out of reach for me.

Also remember that there is a LOT of cheap old glass that's still plenty good out there that you can get for a song. You can build up a nice collection of lenses over time without breaking the bank.
I know there are probably a lot of other threads out there explaining the advantages of the K5 over the K-r, but do you mind letting me know what you personally would enjoy most if you were able to make the upgrade?

I think you're right-on about accessing all the old glass out there. I've lusted over the FA77 for a long time but it really is a lot of $$$. I'm coming to the conclusion that the advantages are much greater going with the K5 and some vintage longer primes rather than going with the K-r + FA77.

Thanks for your advice
09-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Antifreez Quote
Given your advice, and considering your lens collection, I'm wondering why you haven't chosen to upgrade to the K5 yourself. I'm assuming your lens purchases came prior to the release of the k5.
I did buy a K-5 to replace my K-x, but returned it due to poor AF in tungsten light. I could have requested another, but during the week I had it, I realized that my current bodies are sufficient for anything I want to do. I bought an 18-135 after returning the K-5, so I now have a WR lens for the K20D. I want a DA*300mm next, so no upgraded body for now.

The K20D is a very capable camera. I rarely need blazingly fast auto-focus and high frame rates and when I do, the K-x is sufficient. I am satisfied with the K20's ISO performance below ISO 3200, if I need more I use the K-x. However, there's no question about which is my main camera. I just love the advanced controls and IQ of the K20D. Instead of a K-5 body next, I may replace the K-x with a small MILC... assuming Ricoh obliges.