Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
Forum Member

KR exposure meter reading wrong

I have had my KR for about 3 months now, and just the other day I noticed that my meter was reading wrong. How do I know? Well on an F/2.8 ISO 100 at 1/60 shutter speed setting in midday outdoor sun, the exposure meter told me I was -3.0. Or WAY underexposed. Just to test I kept moving the shutter speed until it said I was at neutral exposure. And guess what shutter speed it suggested 3 seconds.

Anyway, has anyone else had similar issues and if so what did you do about it. Like I said this is a relatively new camera. has not been hit or damaged, and I get the same kind of results with both my manual and kit lenses.

HELP. its frustrating blowing 4-5 shots just to figure out the true light reading.

09-02-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax cameras (at least the ones I've had) tend to underexpose a bit to preserve highlights but what yours is doing sounds way strange. Could you post a few images (preferably with exif info intact) to show us what kind of results you're getting. Was the the 3sec picture ok or overexposed?

Are you using spot metering? If you're shooting a very dark subject even in bright daylight that can result in longer shutter times because the camera overexposes the scene trying to expose the subject lighter than it actually is.

With manual lenses the metering can be off if the lens doesn't short the contacts on the mount properly. With M42 lenses I usually have to dial in +2EV comp to get normal exposures in AV-mode.
09-03-2011, 01:55 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grimmy2016 Quote
I have had my KR for about 3 months now, and just the other day I noticed that my meter was reading wrong. How do I know? Well on an F/2.8 ISO 100 at 1/60 shutter speed setting in midday outdoor sun, the exposure meter told me I was -3.0. Or WAY underexposed. Just to test I kept moving the shutter speed until it said I was at neutral exposure. And guess what shutter speed it suggested 3 seconds.

Anyway, has anyone else had similar issues and if so what did you do about it. Like I said this is a relatively new camera. has not been hit or damaged, and I get the same kind of results with both my manual and kit lenses.

HELP. its frustrating blowing 4-5 shots just to figure out the true light reading.
This is definitely not the proper behaviour of the camera! Please provide more info on what type of lens were you using!

There seems to be a problem in the communication between the lens you used and the camera body. I would suggest cleaning lens and camera contacts or using other lens. If the problems persist with DA-type of lens then you need to see a Pentax tech service.

Cheers,
D.
09-03-2011, 02:33 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're using an automatic lens with an aperture ring, try using stop-down metering to see if you get the proper exposure. If you do, then the lens or contacts may be to blame.

09-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have uploaded 3 quick images at IMGP3740 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Please take a look.

But I after I uploaded them and tried a few more lenses the issue doesnt seem to be repeating itself....for now.... but would still like to know why it did it in the first place.

Thanks
09-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Any time I get erratic exposure, it's because I've accidentally flipped the metering lever over to spot metering.
09-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #7

I have uploaded 3 quick images at IMGP3740 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Please take a look.

But I after I uploaded them and tried a few more lenses the issue doesnt seem to be repeating itself....for now.... but would still like to know why it did it in the first place.

Thanks
Seems like a lens-camera communication problem.

Which lens were you using when the problem occured?
09-05-2011, 07:10 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Vivitar Series 1 28-105mm. FYI, I had been using the lens for the prior week with no issues of this kind at all. It seems to have started after I accidentally pulled the download cord out of the camera while it was still on. Dont know why, or if its even possible, that would effect the exposure meter

09-05-2011, 07:18 AM   #9

Vivitar Series 1 28-105mm. FYI, I had been using the lens for the prior week with no issues of this kind at all. It seems to have started after I accidentally pulled the download cord out of the camera while it was still on. Dont know why, or if its even possible, that would effect the exposure meter
This is an old lens, pre AF era, right? Possible that some of the aperture levers got jammed or not working properly. I personaly wouldn't put such a old zoomlens design on a modern dSLR. The only exception are old primes, in fact these can't be old enough.
09-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I use them cause the quality of picture is still very good (for a relative beginner) and in the right price range. I personally think the IQ is better than the 55-200 kit lens I have. just my opinion though.
09-05-2011, 07:43 AM   #11

I use them cause the quality of picture is still very good (for a relative beginner) and in the right price range. I personally think the IQ is better than the 55-200 kit lens I have. just my opinion though.
It's your decision. But don't blame it on the camera body when something goes wrong like it did.
09-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dragra Quote
But don't blame it on the camera body when something goes wrong like it did.
That's a bit much. There are plenty of old zooms out there that are still in fine shape, and choosing one certainly doesn't mean that nothing will happen to go wrong with the body when using them.
09-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Any time I get erratic exposure, it's because I've accidentally flipped the metering lever over to spot metering.
I'd like to +1 this. What method of exposure metering are you using? Are you pointing at a black object in bright sunlight? Because center meter on a black object will definitely cause what you are experiencing.
09-06-2011, 02:42 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
That's a bit much. There are plenty of old zooms out there that are still in fine shape, and choosing one certainly doesn't mean that nothing will happen to go wrong with the body when using them.
What went wrong here was exposure, about 3 f-stops or more, hard to tell upon OP's pics.

The most fragile part of Pentax dSLR is the bayonett mount. There are several reported cases when the camera mount was damaged because of usage of exotic old lenses. But of course everybody is free to do whatever they want with their equipment.

Cheers,
D.