Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
Inactive Account

[langtitle=de]pentax k-r mirror defect?[/langtitle]

have my pentax kr already some weeks and i really love this cam but somehow today some problems started.
i dont know what happened because yesterday everything was alright but today some strange noises started , when i saw through the cam everything was really blurred and i couldnt make any photos at all... after some searching i found that the mirror in the cam made all this strange noises...and unnecessary movements.. it just clapped even if i didnt touch the cam or buttons at all...
i just wanted to ask if this problem occured to someone already and what would be the wisest thing to do? i just dont want to replace the cam to another model.. even if i would want to right now i dont have the money to do so .
so if someone could give me some advice i would be really thankful.
thanks in advance =)

Last edited by Utatsuki; 09-04-2011 at 09:10 AM.
09-05-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sounds like it's time for Pentax service, this is the first mirror problem I have seeen posted
09-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Utatsuki Quote
have my pentax kr already some weeks and i really love this cam but somehow today some problems started.
i dont know what happened because yesterday everything was alright but today some strange noises started , when i saw through the cam everything was really blurred and i couldnt make any photos at all... after some searching i found that the mirror in the cam made all this strange noises...and unnecessary movements.. it just clapped even if i didnt touch the cam or buttons at all...
i just wanted to ask if this problem occured to someone already and what would be the wisest thing to do? i just dont want to replace the cam to another model.. even if i would want to right now i dont have the money to do so .
so if someone could give me some advice i would be really thankful.
thanks in advance =)
Not exactly sure what happened there, but it definitely sounds as a major problem. Only time I had mirror problems was on a Canon 5D: after some 10K actuations the mirror fell out and got broken. Nothing alike occured to me with Pentax so far. (Knock on woods.)

Last edited by dragra; 09-05-2011 at 07:23 AM.
09-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
same issue

My K-r has exactly the same problem, it's been in repair at Pentax since June 28, and I still don't have it back, more than 2 months later.
Sorry but you have to send it for repair, or return it for another one if you just bought it.
This is the first time I have a Pentax body going bad on me, I've owned the ist DS, K10d and K20d, so not a bad rate.
I don't mind them taking a long time as long as it's fixed when I get it back.
Last time I spoke with them, they were waiting on some important parts from Japan in order to fix it.

09-08-2011, 12:16 AM   #5

mirror jump? i got same problem on my KR after one of my not-so-friend borrow my camera and insert his micro sd card with an adapter to my camera.. it jumps several times even when im not touching the camera. i put out the battery for 1 days and reinsert it , the problem is gone now. dunno what caused it.. i think its the card.
09-08-2011, 01:22 AM   #6

Before you lose a friend, I'd suggest it is extremely unlikely the type of SD card could cause this. A micro SD in a proper adapter for full size SD should not cause any problems, and certainly nothing to do with your mirror movement. It does sound like a power issue, however, and the fact that pulling the battery fixed it, suggests something along those lines. My KR, also nearly new, has done a couple of flaky things with the battery. The first time I tried the movie feature the battery (recently recharged) showed near dead in a few minutes. I turned the camera off and on and then it was "good" again. After a few minutes same problem. I recharged teh battery again, and then the problem didn't recur. I called Pentax service and they first suggested I update the firmware, until I suggested the firmware is never supposed to be changed with a weak (or flaky) battery. She then told me I probably shouldn't try it, and besides, the firmware update was for the GPS optional hardware.

So far, no mirror flapping, but I suspect there are some power problems with some recent KR cameras.
09-08-2011, 06:08 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by FreezeFrame Quote
Before you lose a friend, I'd suggest it is extremely unlikely the type of SD card could cause this. A micro SD in a proper adapter for full size SD should not cause any problems, and certainly nothing to do with your mirror movement. It does sound like a power issue, however, and the fact that pulling the battery fixed it, suggests something along those lines. My KR, also nearly new, has done a couple of flaky things with the battery. The first time I tried the movie feature the battery (recently recharged) showed near dead in a few minutes. I turned the camera off and on and then it was "good" again. After a few minutes same problem. I recharged teh battery again, and then the problem didn't recur. I called Pentax service and they first suggested I update the firmware, until I suggested the firmware is never supposed to be changed with a weak (or flaky) battery. She then told me I probably shouldn't try it, and besides, the firmware update was for the GPS optional hardware.

So far, no mirror flapping, but I suspect there are some power problems with some recent KR cameras.

aaaww what a shame.. i really want to unfriend him :P .. anyway , point taken.
after some brief research the problem occurs when i use third party battery, regardless memory card type.. 1 out of 3 knockoff battery may cause this problem (i have 3 of them and only 1 constantly cause dis )
09-14-2011, 02:53 AM   #8

Hi, my 6 week old Pentax k-r is currently in repair for exactly the same problem. My camera exhibited the mirror problem on 2 separate occasions. From reading the thorough information contained on this forum it would appear the problem is identical to the one affecting K-5 owners.
I hope this problem only affects a minority of K-R bodies as I was really enjoying using my camera.
It would be interesting to find out if the affected cameras are from a specific production run. My cameras serial number begins 40852xx.

05-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #9

Hi, I've got exactly the same problem with my Kr. My serial number starts with 3922 so, it's from a different batch. Unfortunately, mine is now 3 weeks out of warranty, would you believe and the problem started 3 days ago. Camera cannot be used, at all. I've ordered the AA battery adapter and hoping this might fix it but, I have my doubts. The lenses are not the problem as it still does it, with no lens attached! I just think that, because so many Kr owners have the same problem, that there is obviously a manufacturing defect and Pentax should own up to that and repair these camera's, regardless of the warranty! Either that or take the risk of giving the brand a bad name! It is very noticable, over the last few months, that the major camera retailers in my town, Perth, are no longer advertising Pentax! I wonder if the reliability has anything to do with it?
06-21-2012, 05:42 AM   #10

I took 5 pictures, than the same thing happend to me!!! At least I can send it back...