Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reviews really missed the mark on Kr AWB in tungsten light

Having recently purchased a new Kr to complement my K200D I was very pleasantly surprised after reading several reviews about the Kr before my purchase. Many of the reviewers said that the Kr's AWB performance in tungsten light was very poor & the orange cast was bad. Having been used to correcting this in post from my K200, my expectations were not high. Apparently the reviewers did not dig deep enough into the menu system where the Kr has a setting to adjust the AWB correction for tungsten to either a low (default) setting or to a high setting. I chose the high setting and have had amazing results. The Kr on that setting in my experience nails the WB every time and I have not had to do any further adjustments. To anyone thinking of purchasing a Kr, you can safely ignore that part of any review you read and to any owners who have not yet discovered this setting I say give it a try.

09-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great point! I recently picked up a used k-r and put it to the tungsten test, for AF and for WB. My copy passed both tests with ease - no surprise, but a bit of relief!

Reviewers are notorious for using the camera exactly as it comes from the box, so all criticisms can be handled with a dash of salt. A comment like "images are soft out of the camera" means "adjust sharpness/contrast in your favorite mode", an easy thing to do. My preferred mode is Natural not Bright, so "punchy" colors don't suit me - but I can desaturate Bright mode and get something different, or use Reversal instead. Buy a great camera and take the controls in hand: that is supposed to be why we buy dSLR's, right??
09-06-2011, 04:55 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LRB21 Quote
Having recently purchased a new Kr to complement my K200D I was very pleasantly surprised after reading several reviews about the Kr before my purchase. Many of the reviewers said that the Kr's AWB performance in tungsten light was very poor & the orange cast was bad. Having been used to correcting this in post from my K200, my expectations were not high. Apparently the reviewers did not dig deep enough into the menu system where the Kr has a setting to adjust the AWB correction for tungsten to either a low (default) setting or to a high setting. I chose the high setting and have had amazing results. The Kr on that setting in my experience nails the WB every time and I have not had to do any further adjustments. To anyone thinking of purchasing a Kr, you can safely ignore that part of any review you read and to any owners who have not yet discovered this setting I say give it a try.
I second that. People mess up the term "tungsten light" these days. Tungsten is becoming unpopular, actually it is nearly impossible to buy real tungsten (wolfram) bulbs in Europe.

In most offices (also those from camera testers) there is no tungsten light. There are energy saving flourescent lamps. These have different color temperature as tungsten.

09-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #4

Honestly I didn't noticed any (significant) difference between subtle and strong correction.