Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #1

Viewfinder Cover (Eyecup)

This past weekend took a trip to the beach. Had some humidity problems with the K-r due to Tropical Storm Lee. Not only did the lens and viewfinder fog up but the mirror inside the camera did as well. I was using the kit lenses. Is this normal?

Second, in an effort to clean the viewfinder I took the rubber eyecup off to clean. I guess I didn't put it back on correctly and it fell off. What is the replacement part for this or should I take this as an opportunity to get a better cover? If so, which one should I get.

Thanks,

Daniel

09-07-2011, 07:34 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LSUDAN Quote
This past weekend took a trip to the beach. Had some humidity problems with the K-r due to Tropical Storm Lee. Not only did the lens and viewfinder fog up but the mirror inside the camera did as well. I was using the kit lenses. Is this normal?

Second, in an effort to clean the viewfinder I took the rubber eyecup off to clean. I guess I didn't put it back on correctly and it fell off. What is the replacement part for this or should I take this as an opportunity to get a better cover? If so, which one should I get.

Thanks,

Daniel
That part would be Art Nr. 30199 Pentax Eyecup FQ, it cost about 10,- Euros.

To have best viewfinder experience get Art. Nr. 30150 Pentax Eyecup Magnifier (1,2x) O-ME53, it costs about 35,- Euros.

Cheers,
D.
09-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
While I don't have a K-r, I use the O-ME53 Pentax Eyecup magnifier on my K100D.

B&H: Pentax+Magnifying+Eyecup, $31.27. Makes quite a difference.
09-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I was thiniking of the O-ME53 but wasn't sure about it. I will go ahead and get it.

09-08-2011, 03:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LSUDAN Quote
Thanks guys. I was thiniking of the O-ME53 but wasn't sure about it. I will go ahead and get it.
Got the O-ME53 [~1.18x mag.] on both my DSLRs and agree with other respondents re: its merits. Small advantage but worthwhile for the expense. (to me)

Another option is the Tenpa brand, it's available in 1.36x and 1.22x magnifications. (An eBay search will bring them up.)
I suggest you read previous discussions on this or other forums first for useful peer comments about those before deciding.

.R. -- Experience is the best teacher, but the school fees are heavy.
09-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
Forum Member

If the camera were in an air conditioned environment, then brought outside into a warm, fairly humid environment, the moisture in the air would condense on the cold, dry glass surfaces. So, that is a normal situation.