Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you used the HDR in your K-r?

I would like to know if anyone has used their HDR feature in there K-r. I have had my K-r since April and I have not used it much. I am not sure what I am getting whent I use it. I have used HDR in software but I dont' feel I am getting everything out of the camera's feature. Any thoughts or advice on the K-r's HdR?

Thanks,

David

09-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes I have used it in indoor shots like museums and science centers due to the low lighting and lots of shadows. It has worked quite well, It also works well in harsh lighting outdoors instead of fill flash when the shadow area is too large for the flash to light.
09-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you are going to do it, make sure you have a steady tripod. Unlike good HDR software it doesn't auto-align the images.
09-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
If you are going to do it, make sure you have a steady tripod. Unlike good HDR software it doesn't auto-align the images.
the k-r HDR does have auto align

09-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #5

Used it, but not impressed by it. I prefer some shadow correction in post if I want something to stand out.
09-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
Forum Member

I have used it for outdoor shots, such as Mount Rainier in Washington State. On the Auto mode, it tends to increase the contract just enough to make the shot look better than with the standard exposure. I like the look it gives. Have used the other strengths of HDR, but haven't found a subject that lends itself to the stronger renditions. I like the look of the Auto setting for many subjects.
09-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks all for your impute. I tried using it on flowers, althought the gently wind messed up the exposures. I was taking pictures of red flowers so I thought it might help me find the true color. Yes I have used a tripod. I took some indoor shots but it didn't blow me away. How do you want to start the photograph? Do you want to have the lighting right on with your shutter speed and F stop correct and then go. Or do you under expose the picture to allow the camera to make corrections? I thought the camera takes a over exposed, under and the correct setting and combines the pictures.
Thanks for the help.
David

09-06-2011, 11:49 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
K-r does HDR without tripod, K-x needs a tripod. K-r does have auto align, but don't expect wonders (like moving tree leaves, for example).

I have some K-r HDR samples here.
09-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hi Dragra,
thanks for your info, your picturs are great. I really like the pictures of the pizzeria. That type of archetechual shot is what I want to do. I like how you can see the color throught the windows. They are not blown out with the contrast of the low outside light. When using the HDR, what settings do you have on your camera before you start?

Thanks,
David
09-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
Hi Dragra,
thanks for your info, your picturs are great. I really like the pictures of the pizzeria. That type of archetechual shot is what I want to do. I like how you can see the color throught the windows. They are not blown out with the contrast of the low outside light. When using the HDR, what settings do you have on your camera before you start?

Thanks,
David
David, thank you for the kind words.

The pizzeria shot was done to demonstrate the various HDR presets of K-r. When doing HDR you have full control over all vital camera parameters, you can freely chose whatever exposure mode you like. I use manual mode and green button most.

I find K-r take on HDR is very conservative and much to my liking. It is hard to impossible to provoke those oversaturated artificially looking HDR shots with it. Even at the extreme settings the output image still looks natural.

Here is a mixed winter series done with K-x and K-r.

Cheers,
D.

Last edited by dragra; 09-07-2011 at 11:01 AM.
09-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
Forum Member

Kx HDR

Some scenes are more suited to HDR than others, but the results always seem to surprise me. The good thing is, its done in camera, you can shoot one test shot and see straight away if its going to be acceptable, or too chalky/surreal/weird.
I shot this zoomable gigapan with my Kx on a tripod in HDR mode... which gives a quite different effect to this one, shot during the day.
09-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not on the Kr, but on the K7 (similar HDR to Kx) and now K5 (similar HDR to Kr)

There are likes and dislikes.
I've found it great for night shots involving areas of very high exposure latitude.
Ok for interiors too.
I've also found it not so great for shots into the sun where items stick out against the skyline. The haloing is obvious unless on the lowest settings.

For night, I'd usually HDR2 - a god send to me for night shots. No more need for black cards and such, fantastic o/p.
For more subtle effect, I'd use HDR 1 or standard. This gives perhaps just a stop of extra exposure to the photo.
I suspect its actually too similar to just doing shadow correction on a single shot in post. Which is why I use it less.
Never tried auto, though I may give it a go after looking at some samples on this thread.

Generally, the o/p will look a bit flat, lacking in contrast. All easily fixed in post by levels or curves adjustment.

Samples :

09-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #13

Original Poster
Hi Penholecam,
great looking shots! I need to get out, I do not have subjects like that in Thousand Oaks, California.
Where are the photos from? What lense did you use for these shots?
09-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #14

Original Poster
Hi Scobra, those are some cool wide pics you have. I have not heard of gigapan before. Is it a service that stiches your photos? Very cool how it will zoom to a small detail.
Thanks for sharing.

David
09-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #15

Original Poster
Hi Dragra,

Again, great looking shots! I really like your shots and the lenses you have used. What a difference with your lense, I mean they are so clear and spot on focused. I saw one of your shots and though, okay that looks more like my shots. I checked and it was the kit 18-55 MM lense and the ISO was 800 at the La Piccola. Still a nice shot but your others are outstanding and inspiring. I am excited to push for making nice shots using the HDR.

What is your favorite lense? I need a superwide angle lense. I would like the Pentax 12-24 MM lense. It is a little expensive for me at 700 so I am considering the Tamron 10-24 MM. Any thoughts or experience with that lense?

Thanks,
David